Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online seller not responding

Options
  • 05-10-2020 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I was hoping someone might be able to lend some advice here...

BLUF:
    I bought a ticket to an Irish event that's been postponed indefinitely, and the organiser isn't responding to my email requesting a refund.

Where can I go from here?

Detail:
    In March, I bought a ticket to an Irish event that was supposed to take place in September. The purchase was made through the seller's site, not Ticketmaster etc. The seller is not a well-known/ long-established company.

In early September, the (Irish) organiser sent out an email to say that it would be rescheduled sine die. The organiser's email came from an official address (i.e. info@companyname.com) but invited any questions to be sent to a Gmail address (i.e. companyname@gmail.com).

Two weeks ago, I emailed the organiser at both addresses to request a refund. The email to the @companyname address bounced back, while the email to the companyname@gmail.com has gone unanswered.

The organiser's official site (i.e. www.companyname.com) is offline.

I checked with my bank (BOI) re chargeback protocols, but understand I needed to have submitted a request within 120-ish days of purchase.

The ticket only cost 40E, but I'm reluctant to let it go out of principle.

My question is where can I go from here? Is there an alternative to Small Claims? Also, what kind of info do I need to collect about the seller to initiate this, and where might I find this?

Thank in advance, all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Small Claims process costs 25e

Check the company name on the CRO website...a gmail address doesn't look very professional.

Just a thought...
    You bought a ticket for a service that couldn't be delivered on the date advertised. The service delivery date is September rather than March. Are the bank suggesting that they would have granted a chargeback in June before the event was postponed.
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113646726&postcount=800

You may need to do a bit more research with the card provider (Visa/Master Card) about any specific procedures for events that are subsequently postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Small Claims process costs 25e

Check the company name on the CRO website...a gmail address doesn't look very professional.

Just a thought...
    You bought a ticket for a service that couldn't be delivered on the date advertised. The service delivery date is September rather than March. Are the bank suggesting that they would have granted a chargeback in June before the event was postponed.
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113646726&postcount=800

You may need to do a bit more research with the card provider (Visa/Master Card) about any specific procedures for events that are subsequently postponed.

That's a great suggestion, which I hadn't considered. I didn't speak to someone in BoI about this, only consulted the site. I will follow up with them directly.

Yes, I was disheartened to see that the company had closed its site and official email address, making me wonder whether they intend to run the event at all now.

I was aware of the Small Claims charge and would be willing to absorb it, if necessary. TBH, the 40 euro is less important than not being taken for a soft touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Ten Pin wrote: »

It doesn't look like it was registered (under the www.companyname.com, at least). Did some Googling and was able to find the owners, though.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

AFAIK small claims is a consumer (you) to business process and the correct name of the business is needed on the form. So you'll need to ascertain the business name under which the seller was operating. That business name should be available on the CRO website, if it's not there and the seller was just calling themselves 'Joe Soap Ticket Sales' without the knowledge of the CRO then it'll be difficult if not imposible to get past the first stage of Small Claims.

A gmail address indicates that it could be just a person on Facebook calling themselves a business without proper registration with the proper statutory body (CRO).

Chargeback might be the best route, is their a business name on the transaction shown on the bank statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

€25 small claims cost for a €40 ticket and near impossible to enforce if company doesn't exist? - ridiculous suggestion.

It's a simple chargeback. Rules have changed.

140 days from expected day of delivery of product or service or event once its within an overall limit of 540 days

(I may be slightly out on the days, but it's about those levels)

• Advertisement
Advertisement