Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastway and Sports Direct dispute

Options
  • 14-10-2020 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

Hi all. First off, I realise that these are probably two of the worst companies going, in terms of customer service. But I'm stuck in the middle of a hugely frustrating dispute that involves both of them. I'm wondering if anybody else faced something similar in the past, and how it might have turned out.

Long story, as short as I can make it:
    - Was using Fastway (Parcel Connect) to return an item to Sports Direct. It never got there.

- Fastway tell me they have given Sports Direct the go-ahead to issue me a refund anyway, in accordance with the service level agreement between the companies.

- Sports Direct tell me that no such agreement exists, and that I won't be getting any refund from them unless the package turns up.

So, I've one side saying that some agreement exists, the other side saying it doesn't, a lost pair of football boots, and me being down to the tune of a little over €50.

I've mailed both back with copies of what the other are saying, and adding that I hope they understand my frustration. But until or unless one or the other budges, it seems I'm right out of luck here.

So - has anybody had similar, and if so, how did it end? Or any suggestions as to what else I might be able to try here? Feel like I'm just banging my head off a brick wall right now, but maybe I'm missing something somewhere.........

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

Hi all. First off, I realise that these are probably two of the worst companies going, in terms of customer service. But I'm stuck in the middle of a hugely frustrating dispute that involves both of them. I'm wondering if anybody else faced something similar in the past, and how it might have turned out.

Long story, as short as I can make it:
    - Was using Fastway (Parcel Connect) to return an item to Sports Direct. It never got there.

- Fastway tell me they have given Sports Direct the go-ahead to issue me a refund anyway, in accordance with the service level agreement between the companies.

- Sports Direct tell me that no such agreement exists, and that I won't be getting any refund from them unless the package turns up.

So, I've one side saying that some agreement exists, the other side saying it doesn't, a lost pair of football boots, and me being down to the tune of a little over €50.

I've mailed both back with copies of what the other are saying, and adding that I hope they understand my frustration. But until or unless one or the other budges, it seems I'm right out of luck here.

So - has anybody had similar, and if so, how did it end? Or any suggestions as to what else I might be able to try here? Feel like I'm just banging my head off a brick wall right now, but maybe I'm missing something somewhere.........

Thanks for reading.

Same thing happened me this time last year. If you file a missing parcel report with fastway sports direct will refund you. I had nightmare with them but once I filled in form it was issued by sports direct within a week. I'll see can I find details of where the form is because either company makes it impossible to find any help on their website

Eta link to claims form

https://fastwayforms.wufoo.com/forms/pp1kco31kex9f3/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Thanks. But there's a twist in the tale this morning.

Fastway are now saying the parcel was delivered after all, and they've given me a copy of what they say is a scan from their own system, which shows a "Returned to Retailer" message from 3.37 p.m. on September 14.

However, this doesn't show up on the tracking I can see, and which I presume is all that Sports Direct can see either. The message there just says "Your parcel has been picked up by the courier and is on its way to its destination".

There's nothing to say that it actually arrived, so there's nothing to rule out the possibility that it went missing at the last minute.

I reckon I'm now even worse off. Fastway say the thing arrived; Sports Direct say that it didn't. They can't both be right!

By the way, was going to say I'll take a chance on filling out that form anyway - but turns out it's password protected, so that's no use to me either.

I've never contacted anybody like the Office of Consumer Affairs (or whatever they're called) before, but am wondering if they might be able to help or advise on this one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

This is one of those cases where I would advocate contacting your bank and initiating a chargeback. or Paypal depending on how you paid.

I used PayPal, primarily so I'd be able to claim back the price of a return if I needed to. Wish now more than ever that I hadn't needed to return the thing at all!

I thought of the chargeback option (or whatever the PayPal equivalent is) all right, but didn't think it would apply here, since there's no dispute over me actually receiving the thing that I used PayPal to pay for? The problems arose only after I decided to send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Thanks. But there's a twist in the tale this morning.

Fastway are now saying the parcel was delivered after all, and they've given me a copy of what they say is a scan from their own system, which shows a "Returned to Retailer" message from 3.37 p.m. on September 14.

However, this doesn't show up on the tracking I can see, and which I presume is all that Sports Direct can see either. The message there just says "Your parcel has been picked up by the courier and is on its way to its destination".

There's nothing to say that it actually arrived, so there's nothing to rule out the possibility that it went missing at the last minute.

I reckon I'm now even worse off. Fastway say the thing arrived; Sports Direct say that it didn't. They can't both be right!

By the way, was going to say I'll take a chance on filling out that form anyway - but turns out it's password protected, so that's no use to me either.

I've never contacted anybody like the Office of Consumer Affairs (or whatever they're called) before, but am wondering if they might be able to help or advise on this one.

I would view it that at soon as you provided the goods to sports directs nominated freight company(fastway), you had effectively returned the goods to sport direct.. Anything that happened after that point is between them to sort out.. Did you keep the parcel connect slip?

• Advertisement

Thanks Andrew. I have the Parcel Connect slip as a PDF all right.

Thing is, with what you say, Sports Direct (SD) have said in the lengthy (very lengthy!) correspondence I've had with them so far that as I chose myself to use Fastway, and they (SD) knew nothing about how a return was supposed to be on the way, they're not liable for anything that may have happened with Fastway. They say I should have arranged a return with them (SD) directly. Am not sure what they mean by this, and asked what should I do next time if it ever happens again, and they simply said "contact us first".

There was some small bit of progress this afternoon, when Sports Direct said that if Fastway can provide proof that the parcel was delivered, they (SD) will do a refund all right. They say a signature should have been provided upon delivery, and that if Fastway can produce that signature, they'll take that as sufficient proof.

Thing is, couriers here haven't been taking signatures since about March. Don't know about the UK, but maybe they're not taking them there either. Wonder if anybody here might know?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭irishgeo

its probably thrown over sports direct back gate, knowing the way fastway operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Thanks Andrew. I have the Parcel Connect slip as a PDF all right.

Thing is, with what you say, Sports Direct (SD) have said in the lengthy (very lengthy!) correspondence I've had with them so far that as I chose myself to use Fastway, and they (SD) knew nothing about how a return was supposed to be on the way, they're not liable for anything that may have happened with Fastway. They say I should have arranged a return with them (SD) directly. Am not sure what they mean by this, and asked what should I do next time if it ever happens again, and they simply said "contact us first".

There was some small bit of progress this afternoon, when Sports Direct said that if Fastway can provide proof that the parcel was delivered, they (SD) will do a refund all right. They say a signature should have been provided upon delivery, and that if Fastway can produce that signature, they'll take that as sufficient proof.

Thing is, couriers here haven't been taking signatures since about March. Don't know about the UK, but maybe they're not taking them there either. Wonder if anybody here might know?

That doesn’t sound right, did they give you the slip for parcel connect or did you book parcel connect/fastway(I’m guessing not)?

I just created and printed off a label myself, using the Parcel Connect service for returns to Sports Direct:
    https://www.parcelconnect.ie/return/retailer/sports-direct/

Had used it once or twice in the past without issue, so it seemed the thing to do this time as well.

Now it seems I should have contacted Sports Direct first, and had them create it for me....... :(

Thanks. I did use PayPal to pay originally, and did claim back the cost of the return. But unfortunately, I chose to return with Fastway rather than An Post, for the sake of convenience - print off the label at home and drop it to the local shop at any time up to 10 p.m., instead of having to try get to the Post Office during working hours.

But if I ever need to return anything again, I definitely won't be using Fastway the next time, and will make time for the Post Office instead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

I just created and printed off a label myself, using the Parcel Connect service for returns to Sports Direct:
    https://www.parcelconnect.ie/return/retailer/sports-direct/

Had used it once or twice in the past without issue, so it seemed the thing to do this time as well.

Now it seems I should have contacted Sports Direct first, and had them create it for me....... :(
    If Sports Direct are disavowing Parcel Connect, then does that mean Parcel Connect are using Sports Direct's trademarked branding without authorisation? Is the wording on that Parcel Connect page that "Sports Direct have partnered with Parcel Connect" a false claim?

I've no idea. I can't get any straight answers from Fastway/Parcel Connect at all.

The odd thing about the label created is that the address given in the "To:" field is simply Sports Direct International, c/o Fastway Couriers Hub, Portarlington, Laois.

I've come up with the theory that the parcel may have just been delivered to the hub in Portarlington, and ever actually forwarded to Sports Direct in the UK. Asked Fastway exactly one week ago if this might be a possibility and if somebody could investigate, but no reply yet. Mailed them again about this earlier today, but not holding out much hope of a reply.

Advertisement