Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disconecting External Power, Externally?

Options
  • 16-05-2021 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Sorry. I really couldn't think of any other, succinct, way of posing it :o

Here's the thing: They installed a wire down to my stables. It's an overhead. It feeds mains power to a light and two plug sockets down there.

Every Year my neighbour wants to run tractors 'under' that wire, for one day as he harvests. But, lest one not 'fit', he has me switch off the mains. Then he disconnects at the box down there and puts the wire aside.

He doesn't always 'think' to pop back that evening and put everything back. Either way, I've come to realise the mains power breaking costs me a light bulb, most times. Either way, it stresses me the f out! It's just a PITA.

Obviously, a far from ideal situation on so many levels. So, I'm just wondering: Is there anything I can do (Have done!)? Ideally, a simple, external disconnect outside the stables. A 'plug' he could pull. Then plug back in at the end of the day.

I ask that because the wire we're dealing with threads through the stable wall. Any such plug, inside, wouldn't. How could he remove the overhanging wire then? See?

Sorry I had to write so much. Just trying to make the situation clear from the start. And, Yes; I'm completely aware that this would be a job for a qualified spark. I hope to last another decade and I'll pay to be rid of this annual event.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

Is it possible to run a new cable underground

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

meercat wrote: »
    Is it possible to run a new cable underground

Not really. Logistically? I suppose so. 'Anything's possible.' Financially? Christ ....!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

It might well be cheaper in the long run. Overhead cables give a path to lightning strikes unless they are properly protected with lightening protectors. You are taking a risk with this cable.

Oh, lawd! This has gone west pretty quickly then :( Though, with a fuse at either end and Plenty of much higher targets around it? I think I'll stay relaxed about this stretch of wire. As I am about the washing line :)

Any plugs available then?

Plug and socket would be the traditional way.
    Ceeform, AKA commandos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Cerco wrote: »
    It might well be cheaper in the long run. Overhead cables give a path to lightning strikes unless they are properly protected with lightening protectors. You are taking a risk with this cable.

Probably a much bigger risk getting out of bed in the morning.

Ceeform.

Googled! And it looks like we have a Winner, folks! :D

Thanks, all.

If you use a hard mounting socket they're fine.

If you are using a cable mounted socket and a cable mounted plug then keep them horizontal. The're not waterproof hanging vertically. Water fills up the compression gland and wicks in.

You can tell straight away which outdoor stage will survive a downpour at a festival by looking at how the riggers orientated the sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get the 3 pin blue plug and socket, also depends on set up as in is it just a ordinary cable ran and lights running off the sockets or a fused spur.

Think it's a fused spur. As in; I haven't actually looked at it in ages. But, I think so. I could grab a shot of it?

• Advertisement

P5180498.jpg

There. And, as we can now see, all this ripping off and putting back has done it no favours.

Said neighbour just dropped by. I was happy to tell him what I'm going to do.

This and cable, I'd be inclined to put an isolator switch on it.
    Is it protected in the main board? RCD or rcbo protected?

This and cable, I'd be inclined to put an isolator switch on it.
    Is it protected in the main board? RCD or rcbo protected?

Sorry, Punisher. You're talking to an old Rat Catcher here. I have no idea what " Isolator Switches " and stuff even are :o

I do see though that that plug is rated as " Splash Proof "? Hells teeth! I'd be wanting to get that thing inside a Waterproof box, straight away then.

The 'pullable' plug is to live, year round, on an outside wall. Battered by the prevailing evil. It'll spend much of the year getting battered by monsoon like downpours, driven by a hellish westerly.

Hmm!!! Unless, of course, I screw my loaf. Bring the wire in, over the door and fix it right where the things shown above are?

index.jpg

Okay ..... Got a M and F plug. Explained to the kiddie Exactly what I was up to. He sold me these plugs.

Now, before I rip the packets open, I'd just like to check, please?

Yellow / M is labelled: IP44. 110 V. 16A.

Blue / F: IP44. 230V. 16A.

No mention of their splash proofery. Won't matter. Be inside. " Phoenix " brand.

Sound alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

Stigura wrote: »
    Okay ..... Got a M and F plug. Explained to the kiddie Exactly what I was up to. He sold me these plugs.

Now, before I rip the packets open, I'd just like to check, please?

Yellow / M is labelled: IP44. 110 V. 16A.

Blue / F: IP44. 230V. 16A.

No mention of their splash proofery. Won't matter. Be inside. " Phoenix " brand.

Sound alright?

No offence meant op but I think this job is beyond you. Time to call the professionals in. Electricity can kill. Is it worth it.

Sound alright?

Nope they should both be 230v.

The yellow are for to be plugged into a transformer which steps down 230v to 110v

Not suitable for you

Advertisement