Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Schools Near Mount Oval, Rochestown, Co. Cork?

Options
  • 16-05-2021 5:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all. I have just bought a house near Mount Oval in Rochestown, Co. Cork. I am returning from Australia with my wife and a three year old boy. I am wondering what my options are for a primary school for the wee lad? Would you recommend any primary school in particular? I know I have to put his name down in a few places probably for September 2022 and I’m getting a bit anxious.
    Thanks in advance,
    Lar

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Himnydownunder

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

Congratulations! No small achievement from abroad!

Not sure on schools there! I have friends in mount oval and they sent their children to st Anthony’s and eglantine national schools. Those are both well regarded schools but a drive from mount oval. Google maps will give you schools names and locations, the school reports are online here.

https://www.education.ie/en/Publications/Inspection-Reports-Publications/Whole-School-Evaluation-Reports-List/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You need to consider what you want . Multi-denominational , religious , single sex, English / Irish medium for a start . Have you any idea on what you want in that regard ?

I Not sure on schools there! I have friends in mount oval and they sent their children to st Anthony’s and eglantine national schools. Those are both well regarded schools but a drive from mount oval. Google maps will give you schools names and locations, the school reports are online here.

I will definitely check out those schools, especially if they are good ones. Thank you. Driving doesn’t bother me or the wife too much.

If you post in the Cork City thread you'll get far more replies. Good luck!

• Advertisement

If you post in the Cork City thread you'll get far more replies. Good luck!

I will stick here for the moment and try and reply to the posters out of respect. But will go to the Cork City one later. Cheers

notAMember wrote: »

Not sure on schools there! I have friends in mount oval and they sent their children to st Anthony’s and eglantine national schools. Those are both well regarded schools but a drive from mount oval. Google maps will give you schools names and locations, the school reports are online here.

https://www.education.ie/en/Publications/Inspection-Reports-Publications/Whole-School-Evaluation-Reports-List/

Yeah I had to have my parents do a zoom call, while they were looking at the house for me.:-) The wife and I don’t mind driving him to a good school. The ones you mention definitely sound like good prospects.

You need to consider what you want . Multi-denominational , religious , single sex, English / Irish medium for a start . Have you any idea on what you want in that regard ?

I’d like him to be taught through English. A boys school or mixed school are fine. I don’t mind if it is a Catholic school or not, my wife and I are non practising Catholics.

I see on Google Maps that Scoil Phádraig Naofa is near Mount Oval. Has anybody any experience of that school?

notAMember wrote: »

In your experience are the school reports available online reliable/ a good gauge of how good the school is? I’m a bit out of the loop with the Irish system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

In your experience are the school reports available online reliable/ a good gauge of how good the school is? I’m a bit out of the loop with the Irish system.
    Good is subjective, you need to think what is important to you. If a child has a supportive home,they will do well in the majority of schools. The school that does well in sports' competitions may not allow all the children to be on the teams. Art work may be impressive, but is it done by template? Schools that push hard to be seen to be "bang up to date" may have lots of IPads, but rarely use them. Policies are meaningless if not implemented.

Some of the reports (WSEs) are quite old. And some come down to the opinion of an inspector on the day! Asking parents can also come down to their own personal experience, so try to chat to a number of them. Have a look at the school's online profile, but do be aware that some schools are more media savvy and none will post items that show them in a poor light.
    Meeting the principal and touring the school would be helpful, but unlikely in the near future. A phone call would give you some starting point.

So realistically, there's no one single 100% indicator of how a school would suit your child, you will need to consider a mix of all of the above.

Good is subjective, you need to think what is important to you. If a child has a supportive home,they will do well in the majority of schools. The school that does well in sports' competitions may not allow all the children to be on the teams. Art work may be impressive, but is it done by template? Schools that push hard to be seen to be "bang up to date" may have lots of IPads, but rarely use them. Policies are meaningless if not implemented.

Some of the reports (WSEs) are quite old. And some come down to the opinion of an inspector on the day! Asking parents can also come down to their own personal experience, so try to chat to a number of them. Have a look at the school's online profile, but do be aware that some schools are more media savvy and none will post items that show them in a poor light.
    Meeting the principal and touring the school would be helpful, but unlikely in the near future. A phone call would give you some starting point.

So realistically, there's no one single 100% indicator of how a school would suit your child, you will need to consider a mix of all of the above.

Yes thank you. I’m beginning to see picking a primary school is a minefield. As you say there is lots of jiggery-pokery with websites and policies. :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Traffic is often a nightmare around mount oval / Rochestown road / douglas (in normal times).

Take into account your potential route to work if you have a job already. Plenty of good schools within striking distance

Traffic is often a nightmare around mount oval / Rochestown road / douglas (in normal times).

Take into account your potential route to work if you have a job already. Plenty of good schools within striking distance

Yes fair point I’ve heard it is a bit of a bottle neck since I bought the house. :-/hopefully I didn’t buy a pig in a poke.;-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,423 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

If possible, try driving from your house to a few of the schools in the morning rush hour. Google maps might indicate a school isn't too far away but that area can be a nightmare at that time depending on the direction you are going.
    Have a chat with your neighbours, where do their kids go? Check out the schools websites and even go there at 2.30, see kids coming out, speak to a few parents.
    This can be done at any stage, once his name is down. A consideration also for a mixed school or nearest girl school to one you are lookjng at. If a daughter arrives at some stage, a mixed school could have huge benefit, dropping to 2 scools in the morning rush is no easy feat, collections too.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    If possible, try driving from your house to a few of the schools in the morning rush hour. Google maps might indicate a school isn't too far away but that area can be a nightmare at that time depending on the direction you are going.
    Have a chat with your neighbours, where do their kids go? Check out the schools websites and even go there at 2.30, see kids coming out, speak to a few parents.
    This can be done at any stage, once his name is down. A consideration also for a mixed school or nearest girl school to one you are lookjng at. If a daughter arrives at some stage, a mixed school could have huge benefit, dropping to 2 scools in the morning rush is no easy feat, collections too.

Not actually back in Ireland yet and don’t know when I will get the keys to the house. I have to work till the end of my notice period over here and I have a million other complications. :-/ But hopefully can do dry runs to schools, etc., before September 2022. You made a lot of valid points, cheers.

Advertisement