Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identifying leak

Options
  • 15-05-2021 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

I have a damp patch in a ceiling below an attic that I’m trying to sort. I’m waiting for a plumber to call but its taking ages to get one. Any tips on what I can do here to identify the cause?

I can’t see any damp issues in the attic. Insulation is dry there. There is a radiator below the window directly below the damp patch so I thought it could be a pipe for that. I don’t know if the radiator pipe is under the floor or coming from the attic. Should I leave well alone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Looks like a joint in the plasterboard. Any dripping ? Is it damp to touch from underside ? Is water travelling along the joint perhaps ? Any roof leaks ? Heating pipes wouldn't normally be in attic space - usually via floors or walls depending on where boiler is.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Is the room adequately ventilated..
    That looks more like a mould patch from the room not being ventilated properly
    I don't think it's a leak from overhead..
    Next step would be to check your attic directly above the mould spot and see if theres any signs of dampness or leaks..
    This will quickly tell you if its coming in through roof or just inadequate ventilation..does room have open vents ??
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Thanks lads.

There is mould growing along the joint and either side of that on the ceiling and wall feels damp to touch. There’s no sign of water dripping down to the floor.

I checked just above this patch in the attic and it’s dry.

There’s a working vent just a few feet from this patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Well dampness and water is coming from somewhere..what's outside of wall like..would there be a blocked gutter allowing water to seep in through wall..
    If theres nothing wrong outside with gutter fascia/soffits. Then you've also eliminated the attic and roof it must be some form of rising damp /humidity even though you say wall is dry lower down..

• Registered Users Posts: 44 corollake35

Looks like mildew from condensation. Put on a mask and wipe it with a disinfected cloth, it might take the paint off along with it though, so go gently. If its mildew, it's most probably from condensation. Leave windows open every so often, or buy those disposable dehumidifier things and leave in the room. I could be wrong, but that what it looks like to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

That really looks like mildew from not airing the room properly. I had serious issues with a house where the person never opened the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've seen before where if mineral wool insulation isn't packed in between the end joist/truss and the wall (usually about a 40-50mm gap), it can create a weakspot in the ceiling where it's going to be slightly colder there and therefore cause condensation/mould. Worth checking to see if the insulation is just rolled over the top of the joists at that point with nothing between the end joist and wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Thanks for the tips. I’ve a similar issue in a house I’ve just bought. However there is ventilation in the bedroom. It a bungalow and the gutters were on the other side of the wall and completely full so hoping that may solve the issue.

Advertisement