Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MO Bacter Instant liquid - any good?

• 14-05-2021 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭

Claims to kill moss in 24-hours but won't stain (so presumably isn't iron sulphate based)

Has anyone used it ?
    Does it work?

I tried the granules before and they didn't do much good. Had success with iron sulphate but it makes a mess of the paving.

This - mobacter(dot)ie/mobacter-instant.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'd imagine it's as effective as the granules. At about €120 to do my lawns I just can't justify it without being sure it's a sure fire positive result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭black & white

I used the Mo Bacter granules in March and worked perfectly, killed every spec of moss which came out easily afterwards. I scarified the garden first so the Mo B could get right down to the roots. I put fertiliser on a week later and the grass has never looked so well in the 30 years I've been living here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

I used the Mo Bacter granules in March and worked perfectly, killed every spec of moss which came out easily afterwards. I scarified the garden first so the Mo B could get right down to the roots. I put fertiliser on a week later and the grass has never looked so well in the 30 years I've been living here.

hmmm...scarifying should get rid of almost everything anyway, so I don't see that as much of an endorsement...

anyway, the liquid is advertised as "instant" rather than working over several weeks like the granules...so the mechanism of action must be pretty different?

I've been following a gardener from Norn Iron on Youtube and I find his stuff easy to follow and informative. Not sure if I can link but search Premier Lawns and his name is Robbie.

I decided to try it out and have sprayed a test-patch to see if it does anything.

The smell is...something.
    If you shoved dried oregano up your nose while walking around a chicken farm you'd be in the right ball-park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

tDw6u1bj wrote: »
    I decided to try it out and have sprayed a test-patch to see if it does anything.

give us feedback won't you

The smell is...something.
    If you shoved dried oregano up your nose while walking around a chicken farm you'd be in the right ball-park.

The smell is powerful all right, had neighbours asking if there was something dead in my garden.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

handy tip if you're burying trevor jordache under your patio.

Update!

One week* on and my moss is as happy and content as ever.

Having now tried both the granules and instant liquid I'm calling it - MoBacter is a complete scam. It's fertiliser and nothing else.

*(it's supposed to work within 24-hours but I gave it some extra time just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Update!

One week* on and my moss is as happy and content as ever.

Having now tried both the granules and instant liquid I'm calling it - MoBacter is a complete scam. It's fertiliser and nothing else.

*(it's supposed to work within 24-hours but I gave it some extra time just in case.

Temp needs to be above 13C for it to work. Been too cold

• Advertisement

We've had over 13c for the past two weeks where I am.

Generally I've had poor results from Mo Bactor and it just isn't worth the expense when you've 1000sg mt of lawn.

This is about the liquid -
    "Apply in dry weather (from Feb–Nov), in frost-free conditions with soil temperature above 5 C degrees."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

This is about the liquid -
    "Apply in dry weather (from Feb–Nov), in frost-free conditions with soil temperature above 5 C degrees."

We've not been frost free yet.

I don't now where you are but it seems to have the worst weather in the country. We haven't had frost in ages and daytime temperatures 14c and higher for weeks.

Conditions have been suitable.
    They especially were in the 24hrs after spraying.

Even if they weren't quite perfect then you would expect something.

So what's the use case here then? you can only use it on a full moon in july? hardly when people want to treat for moss. or only use it in warmer climates (will they even get mossy lawns there?)

Conditions have been suitable.
    They especially were in the 24hrs after spraying.

Even if they weren't quite perfect then you would expect something.

So what's the use case here then? you can only use it on a full moon in july? hardly when people want to treat for moss. or only use it in warmer climates (will they even get mossy lawns there?)

Conditions have been good and were excellent when I used it previously. It's basically a 5-5-20 fertiliser with an added bacillus bacteria that is found in soil anyway. The high levels of potassium are taken in by the moss and this causes the moss to break down. The bacteria just digests the dying moss.
    A feed of 7-6-17 will do most of the work and the bacteria is present in any decent soil anyway.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Conditions have been good and were excellent when I used it previously. It's basically a 5-5-20 fertiliser with an added bacillus bacteria that is found in soil anyway. The high levels of potassium are taken in by the moss and this causes the moss to break down. The bacteria just digests the dying moss.
    A feed of 7-6-17 will do most of the work and the bacteria is present in any decent soil anyway.

So that's the mechanism for the granules, but I'm still really curious how the instant/spray was supposed to work in 24hrs?

There's no way they could think that mechanism could work that quickly.

Advertisement