Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinderella

Options
  • 14-05-2021 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Silly query. The Catholic my daughter goes to have shown Cinderella today.
    I was about to explain the story to her but - when you think about it - it’s an awful story. I don’t want her to think that she needs a Prince Charming.

I’m certainly not a leftist ‘woke’ sjw etc etx but teaching such things to impressionable kids is making me cock an eyebrow. It just doesn’t feel very progressive in the modern day to teach children that story. I mention Catholic as she’s taught enough of the stuff I don’t want her taught but there’s plenty of magic in this story. Either way - why not Aesop’s fables or something like that.

So am I being sensitive (not a common accusation of me) or is there something in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,081 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

karlitob wrote: »
    Hi all

Silly query. The Catholic my daughter goes to have shown Cinderella today.
    I was about to explain the story to her but - when you think about it - it’s an awful story. I don’t want her to think that she needs a Prince Charming.

I’m certainly not a leftist ‘woke’ sjw etc etx but teaching such things to impressionable kids is making me cock an eyebrow. It just doesn’t feel very progressive in the modern day to teach children that story. I mention Catholic as she’s taught enough of the stuff I don’t want her taught but there’s plenty of magic in this story. Either way - why not Aesop’s fables or something like that.

So am I being sensitive (not a common accusation of me) or is there something in it.

I have two daughters . Both read and saw Cinderella numerous times . Both strong independent and self sufficient women now . I genuinely think its example that teaches not fairy tales or films

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭karlitob

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I genuinely think its example that teaches not fairy tales or films

Thanks for response. Apologies - I’m not sure of your meaning above.

I have two daughters . Both read and saw Cinderella numerous times . Both strong independent and self sufficient women now .

And - to confirm - I’m certainly not saying that’s what you read/watch will you a junkie etx.

Fairytales - by Disney or Grimm brothers - are interesting reading with a macabre background and a complex narrative, lesson and morality. Like the bible, it’s make believe.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with them, or course. I’m just surprised that these stories are being given to very young children when there are plenty of other stories that can impart lessons - social lessons - that are more accessible.

It’s not fun explaining to a 4 year old that Cinderella’s mother is dead, the the father remarried to a miserable pita whose sisters where mean. ‘Why didn’t the daddy stop them being mean to her’? ‘Will my Mammy die?’

It kind gets in the way of - be kind, and don’t be mean.

As I say - I’m surprise such a thing is used when you hear of books removing racists terms - the n word in to kill a mockingbird - that are read by older children who have more ability to grasp the complexity.

Thanks for response. Apologies - I’m not sure of your meaning above.

I think that children follow the example of the people close to them . Mother , aunts , grandmother , sisters . They see how they are , how they behave . The follow the example set by people around them not books or films

I think that children follow the example of the people close to them . Mother , aunts , grandmother , sisters . They see how they are , how they behave . The follow the example set by people around them not books or films

100% agree.
    But i also think it’s not that simple. They clearly have an influence. If they didn’t we wouldn’t have the issues in young people associated with social media - insta photos etc.

I guess - I dunno what I think - it was fine when you only had to worry about yourself. These kids though....!!!

• Advertisement

100% agree.
    But i also think it’s not that simple. They clearly have an influence. If they didn’t we wouldn’t have the issues in young people associated with social media - insta photos etc.

I guess - I dunno what I think - it was fine when you only had to worry about yourself. These kids though....!!!

I know !! Had three and still worry about them and their children !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Cinderella is ok, just avoid sleeping beauty

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_q4sEaV2rAE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

Beauty and the beast promotes arranged marriages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not sure this belongs here.

Closing for the moment. Suggested appropriate forums to PM please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement