Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have a degree in computing - but want to teach

Options
  • 13-05-2021 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I’ve got a degree in Enterprise Computing in DCU, but after doing some work placement, I really don’t think I actually want to get involved in this line of work. I’ve always been interested in teaching, particularly secondary school and I made a few impulse choices that ended me up getting a degree in something I’m not actually crazy about.

My degree qualifies me for any IT type subjects, maybe business? I’m not sure, does anyone know? If I do a Hdip in Geography (1 year), then the post-primary 2 year course, can I teach Geography and IT subjects? (possibly business, again I’m not sure if I meet requirements with my degree)

Any help would be appreciated, obviously I’m trying to get this done as quick as I can, while adding an extra subject (I love geography) to my locker. Is it possible to get this all done in 3 years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Best off trying to get an answer from the teaching council. Unless someone here did the exact degree you did (which seems unlikely), chances are nobody here can really tell you.

I would say though that it’s unlikely you’d have reached the threshold to qualify as a business teacher if your degree is primarily a degree in computers/IT. It’s a misconception you can be qualified to teacher junior cert/cycle because you did one or two modules. You’re either qualified to leaving cert or you’re not qualified, so you’d probably need to do more business modules to make up those credits, or do the geography dip you mentioned (or something similar). Even if you are qualified to teach IT, I imagine there are few enough opportunities for that currently, if it’s your only subject.

Like I said though, the teaching council should be able to tell you more than I can. Whether they actually will tell you is another matter entirely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

In my school (and all others I know of), teachers of other subjects get "Computers" hours. We do ECDL, other do Microsoft training. I couldn't imagine a school hiring someone just for IT. This is the prime hiring season, keep an eye on Educationposts.ie this summer and you'll see what is and isn't in demand.
    And yes, if you do a full time HDip in Geography and then the 2 year MA you can teach Geography. Some of the fee paying schools would have the funds to hire IT type people, but Ireland doesn't have too many of them. It'll be a big financial investment and you could be part time for a few years.

Advertisement