Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a market for leasing a dairy farm?

Options
  • 12-05-2021 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Have had some bad news about a family member who owns a dairyfarm.

Is there a market for them to lease out the farm? Would they sell the herd or is it possible to lease farm and herd as is?

Sorry for the basic questions, although I was brought up on the farm, I have been gone a long time and can't pretend to know anything about the industry anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Is there a market for them to lease out the farm? Would they sell the herd or is it possible to lease farm and herd as is?

Sorry for the basic questions, although I was brought up on the farm, I have been gone a long time and can't pretend to know anything about the industry anymore.
    Sorry about your news
    Maybe a partnership might suit best

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Sorry to hear of yer trouble. There are various ways of doing it, selling cows and leasing farm is one way, but there are other ways such as share farming etc. Accountant/ solicitor and advisor in such issues would be important as well as deciding what level of involvement will be available to give to the business. Others here may advise on specifics

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bluecompote

Thanks so much for the replies- do you think an agricultural advisor of some sort could give us advice? And what kind would be best- I think there are Teagasc and private? Or maybe I am making that up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭minerleague

Most farmers leasing would want something long term, so if your relative had a son/daughter wanting to farm in near future, but not yet, mightn't suit. Could get a manager in for this year so no rushed decisions. Cows usually sold when land is leased ( easier than trying to put a value on them re lease)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I have heard of cases where the herd and land were both leased.
    Maybe the herd was sold and the land leased.
    And I think even a case had the new renter even employing the farmer that owned the herd and farm.

Apologies for vagueness. But where I heard that from is a bit far away from me so don't have the full details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Thanks so much for the replies- do you think an agricultural advisor of some sort could give us advice? And what kind would be best- I think there are Teagasc and private? Or maybe I am making that up!

Yes, there are teagasc or private advisors out there. The farmer in question may have an existing advisor I'd imagine? May worth making contact with the farmers existing advisors etc.
    The dept of ag are also helpful in most situations, if the farmer is incapacitated someone would have to be made herd keeper to be responsible for the animals etc. Most farm insurance policies would offer cover for various scenarios so may cover the cost, or part of, of a farm manager to be put in place until longer term decisions can be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,053 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I saw an article a while back about some young fella who I think was working as a labourer for some older man (they were not related at all) for a few years and then took over the dairy when he was going to retire. I think it was down the South East.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭1373

The easiest way, if there’s no other family members who want to stay involved is to sell all the animals and leases the place out to a suitable tenant. Depending on the size of the herd, a farm manager could earn more than the farm is able to provide.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Farm relief service might be able to put in a short term manager until you decide what is the best long term option. Sorry to hear the bad news.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Fuks sake ,dairy cows are making 1800 and land lease is up on 400 ,i would have them booked next week for the mart and the place advertised in local paper for lease

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Check out the land mobility page in the farmers journal.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrtm17

I'd say you would have no problem geting somebody to lease the whole lot,how long are you thinking of leasing for?

Advertisement