Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expansion Vessel

Options
  • 10-05-2021 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

The expansion vessel on my domestic hot water system seems to have failed - water has come out through the inflation valve.

This vessel has repeatedly given trouble since I bought the house three years ago. The pressure release value would periodically start venting water and, when I got the plumber out to explore why, the vessel would be full of water and need to be reinflated.

My question I have is whether I should replace the vessel with a bigger one. The hot water tank is 400L. The vessel is not obviously marked, but it appears to be a standard 12L one.

Looking online, there are a variety of inputs - system volume, max operating temp, etc., but as a rough rule of thumb, the suggestion seems to be that a 400L tank needs a larger vessel than this, and I wonder if that is contributing to the problems.

Any views appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Water coming out through the valve means it is goosed and needs to be replaced. Pumping it up was a waste of time.
    Off the top of my head the expansion vessel for that size cylinder is at least 25 litre, possibly 35 litre, with a pre-charge of 3 bar.
    If the safety valve (P&T valve) has been opening due to vessel failure, then should be replaced as well.

Advertisement