Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Written Reference

Options
  • 07-05-2021 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am currently applying for jobs as i have to interview for my own few hours in the school i am in this year so looking at what else is out there too. I see a job with my subjects and require written reference, I would rather not get my current Dp OR PRICIPAL to give me the reference as it would be slightly awkward. Could i go back to a DP i had 2 years ago and the other placement school I had in 2016? I presume they want references from deputy pricipals or principals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Hi all, I am currently applying for jobs as i have to interview for my own few hours in the school i am in this year so looking at what else is out there too. I see a job with my subjects and require written reference, I would rather not get my current Dp OR PRICIPAL to give me the reference as it would be slightly awkward. Could i go back to a DP i had 2 years ago and the other placement school I had in 2016? I presume they want references from deputy pricipals or principals?

Firstly, don't be offended but get the spelling of the word principal correct or you won't be considered for interview.

Whether you ask your principal or not, they will be contacted so if I were you, have the conversation about your future in the school and tell him/her that you like the school but you have to get a considerable contract, you have seen a post and a written reference is necessary, could they supply you with one. Honesty is the best policy. I always asked for written references when I was subbing - even to get an idea of what the principal thought of me.

As an aside - I thought you had been sorted - should you not be getting a CID?

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Principals are well used to giving references to staff, particularly anyone on less than full hours. I would just be honest with them and say look I want to stay but I need to keep my options open

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Ah that sounds good, perhaps I will ask the DP so. Just wondering when they say recent, would 4 years be too far back?

Ah that sounds good, perhaps I will ask the DP so. Just wondering when they say recent, would 4 years be too far back?

Why the DP and not the principal - that would cause alarm bells in my head. When I applied for jobs, I sent in all my references up to current.

ah ok great, its just I wouldnt have had much dealings with the principal most teachers dont have much dealing with Principal. So you dont think they would mind me asking for a reference even though I will be interviewing for my own job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

ah ok great, its just I wouldnt have had much dealings with the principal most teachers dont have much dealing with Principal. So you dont think they would mind me asking for a reference even though I will be interviewing for my own job?

No no problem whatsoever. It's natural and normal. Most people (myself included) would do and have done, the same in your shoes.

They are the management in the school and believe me if you think they don't see what is happening, your teaching style, classroom management etc., it will have been noted. Principal could also take offence that you asked DP and not them.

oh thats great thanks very much for the info. Yes I have been using the last two years as an interview process, putting new TY programs and the a few other things i got up and running so i hope they have noticed!

oh thats great thanks very much for the info. Yes I have been using the last two years as an interview process, putting new TY programs and the a few other things i got up and running so i hope they have noticed!

Are you 100% sure, you're not entitled to a CID? For those two years, have you been in the same school? Are you in a union? PM if you want.

No the first year I hadnt my own hours. I asked the principal and she said it would be at the end of this coming year 21-22. Just on the reference would it be any use to get one from my parish priest as the school in question is a Catholic school with strong Catholic ethos in that the principal is still a priest in the school.? One academic and one from a priest in my parish?

• Advertisement

No the first year I hadnt my own hours. I asked the principal and she said it would be at the end of this coming year 21-22. Just on the reference would it be any use to get one from my parish priest as the school in question is a Catholic school with strong Catholic ethos in that the principal is still a priest in the school.? One academic and one from a priest in my parish?

What was the nature of the contract? (If you don't mind me asking?) This could be important. Have you had two contracts? Are you a member of a union? I suggest you get on to them and get it checked out. Even a CID for low hours is permanency and your timetable has to be filled before recruitment of new teacher(s) ... subject to school needs.

Never mind the priest - it would be as much good as me writing a reference for you. You also find some religious schools are not that religious with some of the things that happen in them.

Ok thank you! maybe i could PM you with details?

Ok thank you! maybe i could PM you with details?

Yes, I suggested that earlier - fire away. I may not be able to help but we'll see.

Thanks all, I was talking to both former principals today and they are doing up references for me and were delighted to help. I also decided I would get some interview coaching at a cost but hopefully worth it. Has anyone any experience of using these services?

Thanks all, I was talking to both former principals today and they are doing up references for me and were delighted to help. I also decided I would get some interview coaching at a cost but hopefully worth it. Has anyone any experience of using these services?

I didn't get your PM - you obviously don't want to discuss your situation. You could be entitled to a CID but sure get on to the previous principals and get the coaching but ignore the permanency when you might need these things. You're obviously not in a union either so a principal can do as they wish. Anyway good luck to you.

Advertisement