Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returnal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

fixXxer wrote: »
    Whats this? The rooms with the star on top?

You unlock them once you clear the game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭jones

I've played about 4 hours of this and I'm absolutely loving it. The graphics, sound from pluse headphones and feedback from dualsense are an amazing combo and feels properly next gen.

I keep getting killed by the first boss and only just realised you have to press L1 to use a consumable I presumed it was automatic 😱 DOH

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Finished in 10 hours, didn't find it that difficult. Once you get a good 'build' your unstoppable. Now for the platinum grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finished in 10 hours, didn't find it that difficult. Once you get a good 'build' your unstoppable. Now for the platinum grind.

Yeah farming the hell out of the first biome in each act, including destroying all plants for drops/obilites, makes a huge difference. By then you'll have found or bought some decent artefacts that you mostly just have to focus on weapons going forward.

Might go for the platinum too, but have read that I may need to fight the final boss again so the sun fragment things start appearing, as I hadn't done all the house sequences before beating the final boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Rolled credits there. after struggling to get to the boss on biome 3, I beat and every boss after first try. Delighted as I typically suck at anything that requires any sort of quick reflexes.

Probably my game of the year so far, though the competition hasn't been strong admittedly. Nigh on perfect gameplay and bar the lack of a save system, perfectly balanced IMO.

Looking forward to digging back in with new weapons now and checking out the bit of post game I've heard is there.

• Advertisement

The electryon driver weapon with pylon web is insane, does huge damage. But it caused game to freeze on me once earlier and probably nearly a second time too. Framerate drops like crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Reading yer comments completely killed any want in me to play this, it's a non starter for me unless a save on exit is added. However, girlfriend reviews actually has me wanting to play this ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Milanative

Housemarque has really hit it out of the park with the use of dualsense in the game its absolutely incredible in your hands, there's issues for sure with some dualsense controllers naturally enough with it being new but Sony has to keep going in this direction as its an absolute game changer and the most next gen thing available and something Microsoft and Nintendo have no answer too

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Milanative wrote: »
    Housemarque has really hit it out of the park with the use of dualsense in the game its absolutely incredible in your hands, there's issues for sure with some dualsense controllers naturally enough with it being new but Sony has to keep going in this direction as its an absolute game changer and the most next gen thing available and something Microsoft and Nintendo have no answer too

Yeah must say it's nice to see it used so well so early in the consoles cycle thought it might be some gimmick but maybe devs are interested in using it in the feel of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

What a game! It was a toss up between this and resi and im delighted with my choice. Anyone else get a Control vibe from?
    Whats up with the turrets with the shields, how do I take out the shield, im guessing i have to destroy something to turn it off?

• Advertisement

weiland79 wrote: »
    What a game! It was a toss up between this and resi and im delighted with my choice. Anyone else get a Control vibe from?
    Whats up with the turrets with the shields, how do I take out the shield, im guessing i have to destroy something to turn it off?

Melee attack destroys the shield. It'll usually destroy the turret too in the same hit, but some larger enemies with shields the melee hit will just destroy the shield and take a chunk of their health but not kill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Finally made it in to the 2nd level. The change in landscape is pretty jarring but not as jarring as having to start through world one each time :pac:

Is there any benefit to further fights with that 1st boss again?

fixXxer wrote: »
    Finally made it in to the 2nd level. The change in landscape is pretty jarring but not as jarring as having to start through world one each time :pac:

Is there any benefit to further fights with that 1st boss again?

Not really. I think you get a few ether, obelites, artefact, and can deposit a datacube if you found one and there might be a chest or two, but other than that it's not really worth risking losing health/consumables. Ether becomes more plentiful later in the game and there will be other places to deposit datacubes that don't require having to fight a boss first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭brady12

Starting this in a few hours .

Any tips

brady12 wrote: »
    Starting this in a few hours .

Any tips

I'd say accept the fact you're going to die repeatedly fairly early on, so use those runs to experiment and just get used to the games systems. Pick up malignant items and parasites to get used to the buffs and debunks and general requirements, there's a general risk/reward system in those items. Experiment with the different weapons you might find in the first area. Pick up health items even at full health as they'll work towards increasing your health bar. And in terms of combat, always focus more on movement and avoiding hits than doing damage. Most enemies have fairly set attack patterns, once you see them a few times they become a lot easier to dodge. Also, you're mostly invulnerable when you dodge, so use that to dodge through enemy attacks if needed.

Enjoy!

Jesus I love this game & it's my first ever rogue like! .I spent about 90mins on my first run and died to the presumed biome ending boss when I had him wittled down to nothing ,I didn't realize I was about enter a boss fight id low health and that screwed me. The 90mins flew the game really sucks you in and demand all your intention.all I wanted do after dying was go again!

Still been plugging away, but don't think I'll bother with trying to go for the platinum any more. The survey trophies being so dependent on RNG just means its not really worth it.

A fantastic game overall though.

Looks like they are looking into implementing a save system though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Found it gets a bit easier after the first biome, and they seem smaller. After taking a week to get out of the first I got through the next one on my second go but had a turn it off a short while into biome three. The weapons and their effectiveness really ramp up after biome one.

That hollowseeker is a mighty fine gun but still find myself reverting to the trusty carbine more often than not.

Is it when you get to biome 3 it ' saves ' so can start at biome
    3 every loop ?

brady12 wrote: »
    Is it when you get to biome 3 it ' saves ' so can start at biome
    3 every loop ?

No, biome 4. An ability you get at the end of biome 2 does means you can go from biome 1 to 3 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭McFly85

Hadn’t had a chance to play this since last week. Had a run to the 3rd biome boss and almost got him on his last bar but I didn’t have a decent weapon, so did another one, had plenty of health, spaceman, strong hollowseeker.

Coasted through the first 2 phases, but the third phase he didn’t seem to fully materialise, leaving me to shoot at a vague shape and not do any damage until I was eventually killed. Absolute bullsh*t. I love the game but having spent so much time getting a good run together only to have it wasted like that is maddening. It’s going to be left alone for a while, gonna start Mass Effect instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Got the platinum. The collectable RNG was rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭McFly85

After trying again, went straight from 1 to 6 before being killed by the boss. Found the later biomes much easier but it might have been due to the items I had.

I'm currently in the second biome. When I die I usually spend 20 minutes or so levelling up a bit in the 1st area before tackling the second one again.
    This approach is wearing me out a little bit though. How are other people playing, do you just make a bee line for the portal? Can you level up enough in the 2nd area alone to take down the boss?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,532 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

weiland79 wrote: »
    I'm currently in the second biome. When I die I usually spend 20 minutes or so levelling up a bit in the 1st area before tackling the second one again.
    This approach is wearing me out a little bit though. How are other people playing, do you just make a bee line for the portal? Can you level up enough in the 2nd area alone to take down the boss?

Just make a beeline. There is an item at the start of each biome to bring your weapon proficiency up to level. You may need to be a little more careful of your health though due to less upgrades.

Just make a beeline. There is an item at the start of each biome to bring your weapon proficiency up to level. You may need to be a little more careful of your health though due to less upgrades.

I'm the opposite. I farm the hell out of the first biome for health/weapons/artefacts. It can be a drag, but I think it sets you up really well for the later biomes. The proficiency boost if you just run through is great, but you still only have pistol and I got stuck before with getting nothing but the slow but powerful guns from chests/drops and taking an absolute hammering.

Those few extra artefacts or even decent parasites can be a huge boost too.

But yes, it can definitely be a pain going through the first biome over and over. I find I fly through it quick enough though, as you start to see patterns in knowing what to bother with or not, like I don't bother with the Challenge Room or the Boss areas.

I turned it off last night stood in front of the boss area. I couldn't bring myself to jump in and die after it taking me so long to get there!
    I've no second life either as I went into the challenge room and lost my astronaut. There were 2 of those facking tank things in there! 2!!!! Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Penn wrote: »
    I'm the opposite. I farm the hell out of the first biome for health/weapons/artefacts. It can be a drag, but I think it sets you up really well for the later biomes. The proficiency boost if you just run through is great, but you still only have pistol and I got stuck before with getting nothing but the slow but powerful guns from chests/drops and taking an absolute hammering.

Those few extra artefacts or even decent parasites can be a huge boost too.

But yes, it can definitely be a pain going through the first biome over and over. I find I fly through it quick enough though, as you start to see patterns in knowing what to bother with or not, like I don't bother with the Challenge Room or the Boss areas.

I'd second this approach. Heading straight for the second biome never helped me in the slightest. Spending 20 mins getting health upgrades and damage boosts in biome 1 is a huge help. My first completion saw me leave Biome 1 going into Biome 2 with 175% suit integrity, a bunch of useful parasites, and a good stash of currency which I was able to spend on whatever in the biomes after as I had already stacked so much health.

I think the only way not farming biome 1 is of any use is if you have god like reflexes and don't need the additional health or currency for to spend on consumables.

Yeah I'm up to the third biome now and as was mentioned before you can move through it fairly quickly and ignore the challenge room and boss room. Nice little shortcut to the third biome across the broken bridge now too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'd consider myself a decent enough gamer but this fcuked me for some reason. On the last area and it only took me 70 hours :pac:

Every run I did though I collected everything in the areas before heading to the next.

Advertisement