Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glendalough Red Route

Options
  • 18-04-2021 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could help me finalise a route I'm looking at before hiking it.

It is the Glendalough Red Route that goes up by the Waterfall, up the boardwalk along the Spinc and the trail goes to the left then towards Lugduff, across to another short boardwalk which is part of the wicklow way before turning left into the forest and back to the car park. Tahts fine and I've done that route a few times now.

The route I'm looking at and cant find much info on is that instead of turning left into the forest, there seems to be a trail that leads towards Mullacor but does not seem to be signposted like the other coloured routes around Glendalough.

Does anyone know if I go that way, is there a clear enough path to follow back down towards the car park?

I hope I've explained that ok and sorry if it's long winded. I'm ok with general mountain skills, maps, compass etc. I just like to do my research before setting out.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Do you mean where the boardwalk splits into a Y at the base of Mullacor? The boardwalk to the right is the continuation of the Wicklow Way and is well signposted. It'll lead you to Glenmalure ultimately, mostly along forest tracks.

If you wanted a nice route to get you back to the carpark, consider going up over Mullacor and home via Derrybawn. That's mostly off-tracks and not signposted, but easy enough to follow on a good day. The descent route off Derrybawn is at the end of the ridge just after the summit cairn, and there is one track going to the left (this is the one you want) and ignore the ones going straight on and right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yep, that's the exact point. At that point, when you go left it just leads you back down the forest trail to the car park, if you go right it goes along the wicklow way to Glenmalure as you said.

In your 2nd paragraph, to go up towards Mullacor, is that going straight instead of left or right at the Y? That's pretty much the route I want to take but didnt last time as it didn't seem to be signposted and i hadn't done enough research.

So at the Y, go straight up Mullacor and that will lead me back around towards the Upper lake car park?

(Apologies, edited your post by mistake).

Straight up Mullacor, there's a big gouge going up it from previous hikers. Once on the top keep going until you get to a stile. Cross the stile and shortly afterwards you'll see a clear track to the left heading towards the Derrybawn ridge.

It's not signposted, but on a clear day you should be fine. Worst case you can turn around and follow the edge of the forest back to the base of Mullacor.

This is it: https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MTU5NTA1Mw==

hmmm wrote: »
    (Apologies, edited your post by mistake).

Straight up Mullacor, there's a big gouge going up it from previous hikers. Once on the top keep going until you get to a stile. Cross the stile and shortly afterwards you'll see a clear track to the left heading towards the Derrybawn ridge.

It's not signposted, but on a clear day you should be fine. Worst case you can turn around and follow the edge of the forest back to the base of Mullacor.

This is it: https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MTU5NTA1Mw==

Ah that's fantastic. You've also answered other queries I had without asking :pac: exactly what I needed to know. Thanks very much for your help. Much appreciated.

Do you mean where the boardwalk splits into a Y at the base of Mullacor? The boardwalk to the right is the continuation of the Wicklow Way and is well signposted. It'll lead you to Glenmalure ultimately, mostly along forest tracks.

If you wanted a nice route to get you back to the carpark, consider going up over Mullacor and home via Derrybawn. That's mostly off-tracks and not signposted, but easy enough to follow on a good day. The descent route off Derrybawn is at the end of the ridge just after the summit cairn, and there is one track going to the left (this is the one you want) and ignore the ones going straight on and right.

Thanks so much for this. I went for a wander up there today and it was absolutely spectacular. Very happy I asked and thanks for the help. Safe to say I've now found my regular hiking route.

The trail couldnt have been easier to follow really, it's very noticeable when you're looking at it from a distance so it's just a case of keeping your wits about you then until you're on the ridge and then it's pretty much just a track to follow. 4 hours from the time I left the car until I got back to it which is grand.

Appreciate the advice.

• Advertisement

Good stuff. I generally prefer to go up Derrybawn, as after a bit of rain it can be slippery on the descent. Doing it that way around also gives you the option of turning either left or right once you're back on the Spinc boardwalk - going left gets you a slightly longer hike back down the miners track and the views are great down there also.

Good stuff. I generally prefer to go up Derrybawn, as after a bit of rain it can be slippery on the descent. Doing it that way around also gives you the option of turning either left or right once you're back on the Spinc boardwalk - going left gets you a slightly longer hike back down the miners track and the views are great down there also.

Yeah, I've hiked that spinc route, the white route iirc? And it is pretty spectacular walking down that way as the whole gap opens up in front of you. I just found it a bit boring as it felt more like a long walk than a hike in the mountains. The route you gave me felt like a proper hike and more like what I was used to doing at home in Kerry.

I've got Lough Ouler on my list next after it was suggested by a friend and when restrictions are eased, I'll be doing Lugnaquilla with the guys from mountain trails on a guided hike.

But when I'm going by myself, I'll definitely be doing the one you suggested

Advertisement