Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions Tour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Dav010 wrote: »
    I doubt there will be much enthusiasm amongst the players to head off on tour, there appears to have been significant problems reported with the English cricket team, both physical and mental whilst on tour. I was looking forward to travelling to SA if circumstances were right, definitely not going now, even if I was vaccinated.

Yeah players were confined to hotel 24/7 more or less. Single rooms no sharing, team room was pretty much a no go etc. England cricket team spent the guts of 3 months in a bubble over summer too to fulfil 2 test and one day series as well as games v Ireland. Its hard going over several months.

Lions tour would be the same and its 2 months at the end of a long season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

least surprising news i’ve seen in weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Must also put SA teams joining Pro 14 in 2021 in doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

what odds on them looking to another country to fulfill the tour, versus outright cancelling it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

what odds on them looking to another country to fulfill the tour, versus outright cancelling it?
    what country?
    If SA doesnt happen the tour doesnt happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Hilarious username post/like combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

what country?
    If SA doesnt happen the tour doesnt happen.

One of the other SAANZAR countries presumably.

One of the other SAANZAR countries presumably.
    Never could/would happen. its less than 6 months away. if SA doesnt happen there isnt going to be a tour at all

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Was never going to happen....

The commercial aspect of announcing sponsors and the jersey all has to happen as part of the massive gravey train that the tour has become.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

It’s very hard to see the Tour going ahead.

So what are the options?

- The Tests go ahead in the UK & Ireland

- The Tour gets pushed back to 2022

- The Tests go ahead in another country (e.g. USA, Dubai, France, Australia, Argentina, New Zealand)

- The whole thing is abandoned

The revenue is badly needed, so I think there’s a decent chance that the Tests will be played in the UK & Ireland this summer. But the most likely outcome is a 2022 Lions Tour, subject to South Africa’s existing commitments for the Summer of 2022 being moveable.

So what are the options?

- The Tests go ahead in another country (e.g. USA, Dubai, France, Australia, Argentina, New Zealand)

For commercial reasons the tour will happen at some stage. Given how much WR tried to push the 2023 world cup to south africa there is clearly an ongoing need for finances within the game there and I'd imagine a Lions tour would be a huge part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

We dropped our plans to go on this a few months back. Even if it does I'm not going to south Africa amid restrictions and isolating when I come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I could see the tour being pushed back to 2022 but I'd imagine if that happens there will be tests hastily organised to replace it this summer and South Africa may get a tour of Europe out of it to keep them going.

They're not going to be out of the woods for a long time down there unfortunately

So what are the options?

Moving to 2022 or abandonment seems the most likely.

Getting a tour up and running in another country would be a logistical nightmare. No country wants big crowds at this stage either.

I’m booked to go but everything is moveable/cancellable. Very disappointing but it’s a first world problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Another wrinkle is Gatland is only contracted for 2021, however I'm sure an agreement could be made.

Seen a few people on twitter mentioning 6N being pushed to summer and Lions till 2022.

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    We dropped our plans to go on this a few months back. Even if it does I'm not going to south Africa amid restrictions and isolating when I come home.

I really don't know why anyone would want to travel to SA for this or anything else while covid is around.

• Advertisement

Moving to 2022 or abandonment seems the most likely.

Getting a tour up and running in another country would be a logistical nightmare. No country wants big crowds at this stage either.

I couldn’t see a Tour being organised but given the urgency and seriousness of the money situation within rugby, and within Southern Hemisphere rugby specifically, I could see the Tests being hosted elsewhere. A la the AIG stuff in Chicago for example. But the UK & Ireland would make most sense.

I couldn’t see a Tour being organised but given the urgency and seriousness of the money situation within rugby, and within Southern Hemisphere rugby specifically, I could see the Tests being hosted elsewhere. A la the AIG stuff in Chicago for example. But the UK & Ireland would make most sense.

Comes down to if they want to play them behind closed doors or not. Gates receipts are important....can't see either the UK or IE authorities wanting a tour given current numbers.

Move it to Chicago etc but there won't be any crowds.

I think we can have crowds here in July/August

No chance, need the general population vaccinated before that can happen and that won't be by then.

So what are the options?

The revenue is badly needed, so I think there’s a decent chance that the Tests will be played in the UK & Ireland this summer. But the most likely outcome is a 2022 Lions Tour, subject to South Africa’s existing commitments for the Summer of 2022 being moveable.
    Wouldnt see anything happen like tests going on up here or in another country. the revenue is needed and games in SA is what'll happen but a much reduced schedule
    For commercial reasons the tour will happen at some stage. Given how much WR tried to push the 2023 world cup to south africa there is clearly an ongoing need for finances within the game there and I'd imagine a Lions tour would be a huge part of that.
    The finances are badly needed down there. Could help stop some of the exodus to europe.
    Very limited numbers and highly restricted maybe but near full capacity? Not a chance

Also BBC are getting people to pick their test sides and will put up results next week
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/55402821

I can genuinely see the Tests happening here in July/August. There’s already a sell-out Test in Murrayfield vs Japan. A Test in Twickenham, one in Cardiff, and one in the Aviva. The revenue would be massive from the ticket sales and would be split with the South African union, which would bail them out. Most of the general population will be vaccinated by then and the economy will be fully open. It’s the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I can genuinely see the Tests happening here in July/August. There’s already a sell-out Test in Murrayfield vs Japan. A Test in Twickenham, one in Cardiff, and one in the Aviva. The revenue would be massive from the ticket sales and would be split with the South African union, which would bail them out. Most of the general population will be vaccinated by then and the economy will be fully open. It’s the answer.

I think that's extremely optimistic, considering the government themselves aren't planning on doing a general rollout to the wider public of the vaccine until the second quarter of 2021 and it requires 2 doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

Not a chance.

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    Not a chance.

Why not?

We’re talking about 6/7 months’ time.

The UK is aiming to have 30m people vaccinated by summer.

Advertisement