Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old and forgotten Cartoon series

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember a cartoon about a giant dragon type creature, I think it was turned to stone and was trapped in a huge cave but could communicate somehow. It was evil and wanted to escape and had minions working towards that goal.

I can't remember any more details about it

Dragon lance or Fable

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Dungeons and Dragons and M.A.S.K were two.of my favourites always thought Eric was a dick loved Uni and Presto.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The Mysterious Cities of Gold (season 1&2)
    Dogtanian

These 2 were made for binge watching. If you missed an episode or two it got confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I remember Flight of the Dragons, cartoon but think it was a once off TVM rather than series.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Dragon lance or Fable

Had a Google there and neither seem to be it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Congratulations on getting the books.
    But F^&k me the price of those DVD!!!!!

I’m not sure how much they cost. They were released one by one as a series in the newsagents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Here Comes the Grump :)

Any mention of the Tennage Mutant Hero Turtles original? Terrible animation but i loved it

Some of it was animated in Ireland.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Some of it was animated in Ireland.

It was Don Bluth studios (obviously here for tax reasons), they went burst on friday I remember (vaguely) and were taken over by Disney by Monday morning. I think they have some animation connections with Stillorgan college as regards internships.

Don Bluth? Fiefel Mouse, Land before time (childrens dinosaur cartoons), teenage mutant hero Turtles, All dogs go to heaven....... they were quite busy. Now all the cells are gone and its 3d animation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ko Chow

These 2 were made for binge watching. If you missed an episode or two it got confusing.

Yes, the scheduling sometimes wouldn't be great so the next episode wouldn't always be in order. Few other series never really had an ending.

Had a brainwave and looked it up a few years ago, Inspector Gadget never did catch up with Dr Claw...

Few more I liked

Heathcliff
    Ovide
    Rude dog and the Dweebs

• Advertisement

el_gaucho wrote: »
    I’m not sure how much they cost. They were released one by one as a series in the newsagents.

I am trying to buy a full set of books for future kids. they are difficult to comeby. I just dont have storage for them

It was Don Bluth studios (obviously here for tax reasons), they went burst on friday I remember (vaguely) and were taken over by Disney by Monday morning. I think they have some animation connections with Stillorgan college as regards internships.

Don Bluth? Fiefel Mouse, Land before time (childrens dinosaur cartoons), teenage mutant hero Turtles, All dogs go to heaven....... they were quite busy. Now all the cells are gone and its 3d animation.

Wasn't it Murakami Wolf that did TMNT? 9 don't think Don Bleuth put out anything as shoddy as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

They have connections with Ballyfermot College.

The animation department there is a direct result of Sullivan Bluth studios setting up on Conyngham Road.

The building is still there as i think the insolvency service. I'll have a look.

Also, I found a really great article on the animation studios buried on the internet while looking for something else last year.

I'll root it out for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Some off the top of my head

Mr Ben
    Galaxy high
    Grave dale high
    Beverly hills teens
    Pole Position
    Jayce and the wheeled warriors
    James Bond Jr
    The Smoggies
    Trap Door
    Bobbys World
    Denver the last dinosaur
    Widget the world watcher

Used to like random episodes of all the video game / Music / Movie tie in shows.

Super Mario brothers super show and the other Mario cartoons there where a two or three i think?

New kids on the block had a cartoon

Mc Hammer had Hammer man
    Mr T had a show
    There's others I just can't think right away lol.

Basically I could sit here for hours thinking of shows from when I was a kid :pac:

I regularly go on Youtube after a few drinks and dive into theme tunes from the 80s and 90s and reminisce :D

I loved Beverly Hills Teens!!
    Others I don't think were mentioned:
    The Shoe People
    Raggy Dolls
    Inspector Gadget
    Potato Head Kids
    My Little Pony

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Wasn't it Murakami Wolf that did TMNT? 9 don't think Don Bleuth put out anything as shoddy as that.

Correct

Bluth did Ferngully, All Dogs, Land before time, an American tale...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Samurai Pizza Cats!! That is all

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There was an episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja\Hero Turtles set in Ireland titled... wait for it... "The Irish Jig is Up".
    Begorrah.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_(1987_TV_series,_season_7)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

The animation department there is a direct result of Sullivan Bluth studios setting up on Conyngham Road.

The building is still there as i think the insolvency service. I'll have a look.

Also, I found a really great article on the animation studios buried on the internet while looking for something else last year.

I'll root it out for ye.

I remember going to see All Dogs go to Heaven in the Bluth Studios in the late 80s. It was definitely located either where the ISI is or near it.

I remember it distinctly, as a dog lover I was traumatised watching the (animated) film and avoid any film with dogs to this day.

I'll root it out for ye.

Actually I have a friend with an autistic nephew who is a fantastic animator, I would be very interested now that he is getting closer to the Leaving Cert. He got by on his natural talent for the Junior cert, he got the only A in his class :D . I am sure he will do great things in the future but it would be nice to get it right off the first bat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

odyssey06 wrote: »
    There was an episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja\Hero Turtles set in Ireland titled... wait for it... "The Irish Jig is Up".
    Begorrah.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_(1987_TV_series,_season_7)
    The Irish episodes in tv shows especially cartoons are so bad there great :pac:
    Sure Inspector Gadget made his way over here as well green fields old thatched houses and sheep and all the usual stereotype things

• Advertisement

I remember there was at least two versions of the English Dennis The Menace and the blonde haired version then for the US.

Dinosaucers and Dinoriders are another two that just came into my head!

Has anyone mentioned Darkwing Duck , Tailspin , Chip and Dale , Ducktales ? :pac: More then likely lol.

This always reminds me of watching The Den

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There was a really strange cartoon on RTE on Saturday mornings where it was all different colored arses as the characters. It was only on for a few weeks, probably around 1990.

I remember going to see All Dogs go to Heaven in the Bluth Studios in the late 80s. It was definitely located either where the ISI is or near it.

I remember it distinctly, as a dog lover I was traumatised watching the (animated) film and avoid any film with dogs to this day.

Good call, always with the tear-jerking.

Is there ever one where our hero gets to live out their days in peace with an old boot to chew and a next door neighbour cat to chase?

Was there anything else done by Murakami Wolf in Dublin or was it just TMNT? I see on wiki that the company also did Toxic Crusaders but would that have been done here?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There was a really strange cartoon on RTE on Saturday mornings where it was all different colored arses as the characters. It was only on for a few weeks, probably around 1990.

Haha, I really wanna know what this is because now you mention it its triggering memories :pac:

Haha, I really wanna know what this is because now you mention it its triggering memories :pac:

I think it might have been in French! Always remember how unusual it was for them to show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Cartoon/Puppets

Captain Scarlet & The Mysterons
    Stingray
    Thunderbirds
    TMN Turtles
    James Bond Jnr
    MASK
    Jayce & The Wheeled Warriors
    Gigantor
    HeMan
    Thundercats

I know it’s not a cartoon, but remember The Rimini Riddle!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think it might have been in French! Always remember how unusual it was for them to show it.

You might find it on this list

m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Den_programmes

Good few memories coming back to me seeing that, ones that had totally forgotten about like The Raccoons.

Had no idea The Den is gone 10 years, just assumed they kept it going with ever younger presenters..

• Advertisement

Ko Chow wrote: »
    You might find it on this list

m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Den_programmes

Good few memories coming back to me seeing that, ones that had totally forgotten about like The Raccoons.

Had no idea The Den is gone 10 years, just assumed they kept it going with ever younger presenters..

It would have been part of Scratch Saturday rather than The Den

Advertisement