Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subnautica

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Below Zero review. Starts with "Subnautica is a game I wish I could wipe from memory and play again. Below Zero is the next best thing". Sounds good to me :)

I skipped through the vid as I don't want any visual spoilers but they gave it a 9.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

PS5/Series update for Subnautica is coming on Friday too.

Might be time for another playthrough....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Just got the Sea Glide. Proper exploring now and encountering some interesting things. Liking the way the game is organically drip feeding the upgrades and opening up the world. Looking forward to venturing a bit further tomorrow now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Reviews on Below Zero are coming in with some very fulsome praise. RPS say that it's the prefect continuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

More of the same and I'll be very happy. I know there's more on land stuff in this, but as long as they fixed having to hold the analog stick to run, it'll be grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Ps5 version of the original game (free upgrade if you own ps4 version, which itself was free recently) is live on the store now

Below Zero is downloaded and ready to play, but I won't be going near it till Saturday evening. Working and it's busy so won't get a proper go of it tonight or tomorrow. Stoked though! Had planned on getting the ME trilogy, but the Plus auto renewing put a dampener on that until the 25th now!

Will have to give the first a go again with the updates, see how much has changed/improved. Hopefully the loading!

****ing hell. Decided to go with a physical copy. Both my local smyths and Argos out of stock for both ps4 and ps5. Out of 3 Gamestops in my area, only one had one ps4 copy which i managed to order for collection (3.50 delivery is cheeky when it costs 2 euro to post a game in Ireland). Saying staff have to check to make sure it's still available and will email me shortly. Might be getting it digitally yet.

The ps5 copy was 10 euro more so glad i was able to get the ps4 but not holding my breath. When there is 1 copy left, there's always the chance it goes missing or staff takes it and then tough ****. Going straight in this morning.

I should have just got it digitally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Ah sugar. Just started this a few days ago thinking that save game would transfer over to PS5

https://twitter.com/virtual_don/status/1387912099372929026?s=20

Ah sugar. Just started this a few days ago thinking that save game would transfer over to PS5

https://twitter.com/virtual_don/status/1387912099372929026?s=20

Well that sucks. Was looking forward to the update but not gonna bother now. Is this a Sony thing or a Dev thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

skerry wrote: »
    Well that sucks. Was looking forward to the update but not gonna bother now. Is this a Sony thing or a Dev thing

Hard to say.

From what I've seen on this issue from all the other games that it affects, it's primarily Sony, with the dev with a little bit of responsibility.

Games on the PS backend are quite siloed, so the same game in different regions are classed as different games. This has carried over to the PS5 era, as games on PS5 are seen as totally different games to the PS4 version, even within the same region. Sony don't do anything to mitigate this, so leave the problem up to the studio to solve, which generally involves having a server so that you can sync PS4 saves to, which then get converted and synced back down to your PS5.

It's in stark difference to the way Steam, MS, et all do it. Not sure on Nintendo.

Yupp, I had 3 different save files for Days Gone, my original PS4 physical one, my US digital copy and my PS5 ps plus collection one. Even though that wasn't an actual PS5 version, it still treated the save files differently.

Anyway, with Subnautica, you can speedrun it if you know the locations of items. I got a bit unlucky with the cutting tool as it took ages to find but you should be quick getting back to your last save point if you follow a guide maybe. Definitely wouldn't let that stop you experiencing the full story.

Got my order confirmed with Gamestop, phew. Between this and Mass Effect, I'll be a happy gamer for quite some time.

CatInABox wrote: »
    From what I've seen on this issue from all the other games that it affects, it's primarily Sony, with the dev with a little bit of responsibility.

Games on the PS backend are quite siloed, so the same game in different regions are classed as different games. This has carried over to the PS5 era, as games on PS5 are seen as totally different games to the PS4 version, even within the same region. Sony don't do anything to mitigate this, so leave the problem up to the studio to solve, which generally involves having a server so that you can sync PS4 saves to, which then get converted and synced back down to your PS5.

It's in stark difference to the way Steam, MS, et all do it. Not sure on Nintendo.

Should have went with my gut instinct and started it on Game Pass so. PS5 not getting much use so figured I'd fire it up on that, lesson learned.

I might start it on Game Pass with the new update and see how long it takes to get to where I am. Just got the Sea Moth last night and reluctant to go back to doggy paddling

Should have went with my gut instinct and started it on Game Pass so. PS5 not getting much use so figured I'd fire it up on that, lesson learned.

I might start it on Game Pass with the new update and see how long it takes to get to where I am. Just got the Sea Moth last night and reluctant to go back to doggy paddling

Yeah, see if it's so much better that you can't imagine playing on last Gen consoles, and if so, then the second through is always so much faster.

More of the same and I'll be very happy. I know there's more on land stuff in this, but as long as they fixed having to hold the analog stick to run, it'll be grand!

Controller settings -> Run Mode
    1 - Hold to Run
    2 - Hold to Walk
    3 - Press to toggle

That'll do pig :)

Saves don't carry over? Ah shucks, guess I'll just have to play the first one again... But as said above, once you've played it once, you can basically fly through it then if you wanted. I'll give it another whirl after Below Zero, which is starting at me, ready to play, but stupid work!

Well Below Zero is a pure joy to play. Straight away, it looks soooo nice on the ps5 and i have it set to favour framerate, so much smoother than the first game. Then you can pin resources and equipment to show up on the side of your screen so you can see what you need and how many resources to collect, it's so handy. Was able to go straight out and build the basic items, i forgot how bad your oxygen levels are without even the standard tank. I also like the voiced protag, gives a nice personality and drive to the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Such a great game.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

Curiosity got the better of me and just checked Before Zero stock in Argos and Smyths and both have copies now. There must have been some delay in Ireland. 30 euro for the ps4 version and you get an option for a ps5 upgrade free when you put in the disk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Started this tonight, definitely has potential and excellent atmosphere with the headphones on. Got a bit frustrated tho by having to bob up for oxygen every 20 seconds, I'm guessing once you've some upgrades you can breathe for longer underwater? Looks like I need repair tool to fix some important stuff in the dingy-capsule yoke but couldn't find a spongey thing to craft it

Surprised by the amount of graphical pop up on the ps5 version, was ps4 the same? That kinda of thing wouldn't normally bother me but really noticeable, especially near that island

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Started this tonight, definitely has potential and excellent atmosphere with the headphones on. Got a bit frustrated tho by having to bob up for oxygen every 20 seconds, I'm guessing once you've some upgrades you can breathe for longer underwater? Looks like I need repair tool to fix some important stuff in the dingy-capsule yoke but couldn't find a spongey thing to craft it

Surprised by the amount of graphical pop up on the ps5 version, was ps4 the same? That kinda of thing wouldn't normally bother me but really noticeable, especially near that island

Found the pop in very bad myself but didn't ruin the experience. Went from playing PS4 version to Series X and its definitely not as bad on Series X. Once you get equipment to make you faster underwater the pop in gets bad to the point of crashing into things that just emerge in front of you in certain biomes. Still a great game so far from what I've played though.

Is it cave sulphur your short on for the repair tool? Visit a few caves and some mad yolk will chase you and go back to where he came from, red thing on the wall, and you'll get sulphur.

Like the others, yupp the pop in was awful on ps4. I nearly gave up as i couldn't find cave sulphur for the repair tool . As above, check caves near your starting point, a small fish thing should swim out of a shell and chase you. It explodes when it gets near so swim away until it does and then go back to the shell for the sulpher. Fix the radio then for story beats and points of interest for you to explore.

As above, just focus on creating oxygen tanks, fins to go faster and the scanner at the start, that will help you explore and once you start scanning things, especially any parts that look like they've come from the ship, you unlock recipes for better equipment and soon you won't have to worry about air.

Not sure about anyone else but i play on the mode where you don't have hunger or thirst. It felt cheap at first but there's so much to worry about in the sea, it really helped me focus on the good stuff instead of food management. I'd recommend it is anyone gets annoyed by eating/drinking distractions.

About 6 hours into BZ and its more of the same so far so happy out. Haven't done much above water yet, and it was a bit of a pain having to craft everything from scratch again, but its a lot quicker this time around.

Line Zero, I play without hunger/thirst for the same reason. And yeah, forgot how little you could stay underwater at the beginning. Can't remember if it's in the first one, but that yoke that pulls you to the surface has saved me a few times. But I have the Seatruck now so no longer an issue.

Runs quite smooth on the 5, and still just as immersive. Gonna take a while to get used to the map and not confuse it with the original. Definitely recommend BZ if you're finished with the first.

Bouncing between ME and Below Zero so not spending too much time with it yet but had another quick blast and decided to head in a random direction, found my first habitat.
    Went swimming, resurfaced to find myself in a cave, wandered around, caught in a storm and about 5 seconds from death when i found a habitat. Absolute ton of items to scan as well as finding out it was Sam's base, found her room and lab as well as the next story beat. Felt incredibly flukey to come across that like i did or else the game is incredibly well designed. Anyway, need to make a torch ASAP as the place was fecking dark. Turned on the object to highlight objects that can be interacted with and found a few things i had walked right past. Might leave it on while I'm still getting my bearings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

In my 90 minutes with BZ, I’ve probably done the equivalent of ten hours work in the original game. I was really nervous of this, but I’m liking what I’ve seen so far. Although, I am slightly concerned at how rapid my pace has been.

Advertisement