Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EV insurance prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Mope wrote: »
    The car is registered in her name, I am just driving it :-]

Then it should not be a problem. Ring and get quote on her behalf. I have done this and often went ahead and bought the policy for her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I got my insurance for the year. Cheapest I've ever gotten it at 425. Exactly half the price of last year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Which insurer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

n97 mini wrote:
    I'd prefer to have the cost per kWh just added to our domestic bill, at the same rate as we currently pay for domestic electricity so that it still pays to shop around.

n97 mini wrote:
    A monthly sub would be a disaster. We charge between zero and twice a month on a public CP, and we already pay a monthly sub (standing charge) in the house.

Fbd. They said 575 but now I have no penalty points. I am with the 2 years already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The car is registered in her name, I am just driving it :-]

Don't do too much of that as if they catch you out........

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Don't do too much of that as if they catch you out........

They can't in reality

I see no specific insurance advantage in an EV

Zurich was 900 for EV , AA came in at 350 , fully comp , two drivers

I am not really following this... How is it relevant who is main who is not. I am insured as a driver so we paid all what is required to use the car legally.

We had a car bumped in to us last winter in wicklow and there was no issues at all as to who was driving. Zurich rep just had a brain fart there on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Her's just renewed. 161 leaf: €440 fully comp with 2 addittional drivers. thats up from €350 last year.

I am not really following this... How is it relevant who is main who is not. I am insured as a driver so we paid all what is required to use the car legally.

We had a car bumped in to us last winter in wicklow and there was no issues at all as to who was driving. Zurich rep just had a brain fart there on the phone.

There is no issue , he's just stirring :D

So.... after ringing around... below is paste from excel (so pardon the look). In Short we are thinking about Allianz as AIG is 557 before you Install App (the one which tracks your drives and etc).

Quotes from AA and AXA is ridiculous.

Company Annual Premium Excess Comments
    FBD 700 200
    AIG 557 250 Full NCB protection
    123.ie (RSA) 550 300
    AXA 1066 - - Don’t care
    Aviva
    Zurich - - Said can’t insure if registered owner is not main driver
    Liberty 661.64 300 760 if Full NCB
    AA 1210.46 Don’t care
    Allianz 552.25 250 Full NCB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Quotes from AA and AXA is ridiculous.
    I don't know what algorithm the AA are using but they have consistently been absolutely ridiculous price-wise for me for the past 14 years. They always ring me up - so I always give them the opportunity to quote - and it's always the same.

Of course, there is never consistency between insurers - and they obviously have a target market of some sort (see Boatmad's AA quote further above).

350 fully comp from AA? What?!? Clearly targeting very specific people

• Registered Users Posts: 64,945 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nah, if you're a certain age, both husband & wife on policy, both full NCB, both no penalty points, both full Irish licenses, getting €400 should be easy enough. €350 is probably because BoatMad is an OAP? I'm not quite there myself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Has anyone tried getting insurtance for a new Model S or X?

unkel wrote: »
    Nah, if you're a certain age, both husband & wife on policy, both full NCB, both no penalty points, both full Irish licenses, getting €400 should be easy enough. €350 is probably because BoatMad is an OAP? I'm not quite there myself :pac:

We are all what you wrote above
    both 32, both Irish licenses (changed them because of Insurance reasons and got 0 EUR discounts from everywhere), both no penalties on record.

Insurance is madness in Ireland... everyone agrees with this :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭ei9go

Just doing this now for the Zoe.

Quotes include full no claims protection

Zurich : 388.74

25Plus.ie: 373.78

Liberty: 392.44

Renewal with Aviva: 440.24

got the best price for the ICE from 25plus earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭KCross

We are all what you wrote above
    both 32, both Irish licenses (changed them because of Insurance reasons and got 0 EUR discounts from everywhere), both no penalties on record.

Insurance is madness in Ireland... everyone agrees with this :mad:

I tick all those boxes as well, except the OAP one, and I got it for €350 from Zurich in Jan.

Your location plays a part as well.

Originally Posted by unkel View Post
    Nah, if you're a certain age, both husband & wife on policy, both full NCB, both no penalty points, both full Irish licenses, getting €400 should be easy enough. €350 is probably because BoatMad is an OAP? I'm not quite there myself

at 56 i hope not !!! ( Interesting adding me to SWMBOs policy , the Leaf is technically hers!!!, dropped the insurance cost considerably ) . Both of us have 5+ years no claims, no penalty points

Intertesing the highest quote was from the renewal , 900 euros, zurch was 800, Axa , 650, AA 350 ( 348 actuaaly ) fully comp, 2 step backs on NCB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ok, got my notice the other week, without doing anything I am down to 705 from 1200 last year....my 1 years NCB helping....

Just wondering do Leaf/Ioniq have a tracking system on them? I can find my car anywhere in work via app/laptop. Can I use this for insurance?

IONIQ does not unless you install one yourself I think.

We went with Allianz in the end - 485 Fully Comp and NCB protection too.

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok, got my notice the other week, without doing anything I am down to 705 from 1200 last year....my 1 years NCB helping....

Just wondering do Leaf/Ioniq have a tracking system on them? I can find my car anywhere in work via app/laptop. Can I use this for insurance?

2016 Leaf has GPS tracking , you can see the location of the car on the app, works 24/7 even if car switched off

Nice feature!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

BoatMad wrote: »
    2016 Leaf has GPS tracking , you can see the location of the car on the app, works 24/7 even if car switched off
    Can it be switched off at will? Just thinking of personal data/privacy?

I wouldn't want GPS tracking on any of my cars! And I most certainly would not want an insurance company to have access to it!!!

Aiming for about €350 fully comp for the Ioniq come next renewal

Just renewed my Porsche, convertible 2 seater, mid engine, RWD. No modern drivers aids, so a pretty wild thing. Fully comp, €287

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I wouldn't want GPS tracking on any of my cars! And I most certainly would not want an insurance company to have access to it!!!

Aiming for about €350 fully comp for the Ioniq come next renewal

Just renewed my Porsche, convertible 2 seater, mid engine, RWD. No modern drivers aids, so a pretty wild thing. Fully comp, €287

Why not? If someone steals the car I can pull up on the app and tell the Garda exactly where the car is, has to reduce the insurance

I don't think you have to give your insurance company access to it

Can it be switched off at will? Just thinking of personal data/privacy?

yes it can be switched off in the settings section ( from memory ) . I leave it on all the time , each time the leaf powers up, it asks you to confirm your happy to share the cars telemetry with nissan

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Why not? If someone steals the car I can pull up on the app and tell the Garda exactly where the car is, has to reduce the insurance

I don't think you have to give your insurance company access to it

Insurance companies can have sneaky ways to get at data they are not supposed to get at

And I would have to go explain that I was doing those speeds on a private road. That runs just a few meters beside and parallel to the M4 :p

BoatMad wrote: »
    yes it can be switched off in the settings section ( from memory ) . I leave it on all the time , each time the leaf powers up, it asks you to confirm your happy to share the cars telemetry with nissan

What if a thief turns the power on and then hits "decline" for sharing telemetry? Does that mean the vehicle can't be tracked?

I must say that it is the most annoying thing about my 141 Leaf. Having to accept/decline the same bloody message every single time. Why on earth didn't they just put it in as a setting in the menu....ideally with a password if someone wanted to change the setting....

That message when you start the car is the most annoying in the Ioniq too. Until I realised that if you do nothing, the message just disappears after a few seconds :D

• Advertisement

That message when you start the car is the most annoying in the Ioniq too. Until I realised that if you do nothing, the message just disappears after a few seconds :D

Not in the Leaf. A few times I have almost reached my destination when I see the thing is still displaying. Usually when I am in a hurry and don't bother to look at the display

Advertisement