Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax confusion and reluctance to get an accountant

• 17-05-2021 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm currently setting up as a sole trader (earn at least 24K a year). My husband is employed (75K) and also is going to be doing some freelance stuff on the side.
    We recently moved back to Ireland, and the tax system has my head spinning! I really have no idea what I am doing
    We are also hoping to buy a home in the next year, so I'm anxious to get the finances in order.
    I think we will benefit from joint assessment, but as I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to the Irish tax system, and my husband will be doing some freelance on top of his job for the first time, would it be recommended that we go to an accountant for some advice, even just for this first year? Our situation just doesn't seem straightforward.
    I'm very stubborn and wanted to do the taxes myself, but I'm afraid I'll totally screw up and either under/over paying taxes. But I'm also afraid to spend money on an accountant as we are saving so hard to get out of our current living situation.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

RayKayJay wrote: »

I'm currently setting up as a sole trader (earn at least 24K a year). My husband is employed (75K) and also is going to be doing some freelance stuff on the side.

We recently moved back to Ireland, and the tax system has my head spinning! I really have no idea what I am doing

We are also hoping to buy a home in the next year, so I'm anxious to get the finances in order.

I think we will benefit from joint assessment, but as I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to the Irish tax system, and my husband will be doing some freelance on top of his job for the first time, would it be recommended that we go to an accountant for some advice, even just for this first year? Our situation just doesn't seem straightforward.

I'm very stubborn and wanted to do the taxes myself, but I'm afraid I'll totally screw up and either under/over paying taxes. But I'm also afraid to spend money on an accountant as we are saving so hard to get out of our current living situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

It's much easier to answer specific questions rather than attempt to give an overview of the whole Irish PAYE/Income Tax system.

So my advice would be (i) to avail of the excellent and extensive information available on both the Citizens Information and the Revenue Commissioners' websites and, (ii) after having done so, use Boards to ask any specific questions that may occur to you.

Why not start here: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/income_tax/

And the two of you might consider registering for Revenue's online services too: https://www.ros.ie/myaccount-web/home.html

As to employing an accountant, it's difficult to advise either way without knowing how good your bookkeeping skills are and how complex your tax affairs are likely to be, but why not have a look at the Form 11 (which is the form that you'll have to file annually as a self-employed person), and see if you think that you'd be comfortable completing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Get an accountant.

Most banks are requiring certification of income by an accountant to count freelance or sole trade income for a mortgage application.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 La la lopsy

Get an accountant.

Most banks are requiring certification of income by an accountant to count freelance or sole trade income for a mortgage application.

They’ll accept a form 11 submitted by self employed. Just went through two mortgage applications with BoI and PTSB and neither had a problem that I do tax returns and not Sn accountant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

With numbers that large, get an accountant for at least a year or two.

They will likely pay for themselves in terms of knowing what you can claim.

Do the bookkeeping parts yourself and use the time to learn all you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

RayKayJay wrote: »
    I'm very stubborn and wanted to do the taxes myself, but I'm afraid I'll totally screw up and either under/over paying taxes. But I'm also afraid to spend money on an accountant as we are saving so hard to get out of our current living situation.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You summed it up when you said you havent a clue what you are doing!!

Yes, you could look at revenue website and do a form 11 but in my opinion you would probably spend so much time figuring it out that you’d have no time left for your business. And you would - probably - get it wrong.

For example - would you realise that you could claim business related expenses incurred in the 3 years before you started trading?

Or, are you obliged to register for vat? No, if your turnover is 24,000. But might it be in your interests to opt to register for vat, even if you dont have to. But how can you decide?

I would strongly advise getting advice now. You might be able to cut a good deal with an accountant if you agree to give him a schedule of all sales, expenses very clearly laid out on a spreadsheet so s/he can spend the time doing the tax return instead of rummaging through a shoe box of crumpled receipts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement