Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water-based wood preservatives, are they any good?

Options
  • 17-05-2021 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭

For years I've always used solvent-based wood preservatives on any outdoor wood projects and repairs; using products like Protim, Cuprinol, Larson, Panobond etc. They worked well for me and seemed to give reasonable penetration once the timber was dry. In recent times I found that the traditional preservatives have been replaced by water-based (micro emulsion) alternatives. I used one of these (Larsen Universal Wood preserver) at the weekend to treat some boards on an external wall cladding project I'm doing at home. On the plus side it is low odour, quick drying and easy to use, but I do wonder- is it any good? I'd be interested to get feedback from other users, although it seems that there is no alternative nowadays.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

IMO No they are rubbish.

Its still Protim 265 for me.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

Problem is its next to impossible to get the solvent based product any more- local merchant stocks water based only, I managed to track down a couple of tins of an alternative product in an agri supplies shop a few weeks ago, but that was the last the had on the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I haven't bought any this year but had no problem getting protim 265 at the end of last year.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement