Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking price in less than a year

Options
  • 17-05-2021 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭

Last year priced up new decking boards but didn't get round to doing it. :(
    Now looking at the exact same boards, they have gone up by 32% since last year. :eek:.
    That was with Brooks.
    I know prices have gone up since last year but anybody any better suggestions or seen any good offers for decking boards around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Unfortunately building materials gone up significantly across the board (no pun intended) :rolleyes: with timber experiencing the biggest increase.
    I take it timber is what you are looking at ?
    What size area ?
    Microshades decking by Timber Ireland: €14.95 plus vat per 4.8m length
    Redwood by Goodwins: €13.21 plus vat per 4.8m length

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

32% since last year on anything timber related isn't actually that bad.
    Timber has just gone nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Unfortunately building materials gone up significantly across the board (no pun intended) :rolleyes: with timber experiencing the biggest increase.
    I take it timber is what you are looking at ?
    What size area ?
    Microshades decking by Timber Ireland: €14.95 plus vat per 4.8m length
    Redwood by Goodwins: €13.21 plus vat per 4.8m length

Yep, decking timber, 80 sq ft so not a massive area.
    Ended up going with Brooks which were €13.66 including VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

This is definitely a sign of a new Tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Which?
    People buying decking,or the price going up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The price of timber has gone up worldwide. In America it's attributed to the amount of home projects fueled by the pandemic while people had nowhere to go to spend their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Isn't there an issue in Ireland with supply issues caused by delays in issuing forestry licences?

Rate of new forestry licences fails to tackle demand for timber

tree huggers lodging objections to applications for felling licences are also contributing to the delays ....

Surge in appeals delays forest felling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

coylemj wrote: »
    Isn't there an issue in Ireland with supply issues caused by delays in issuing forestry licences?

Rate of new forestry licences fails to tackle demand for timber

tree huggers lodging objections to applications for felling licences are also contributing to the delays ....

Surge in appeals delays forest felling

I'm not 100% sure and I'd be happy to be corrected by someone more knowledgeable but I think that the timber produced here isn't of a good enough grade for construction. It grows a bit on the fast side to be strong enough.

Timber and commodities in general are up globally though. Could be just that hitting us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I'm not 100% sure and I'd be happy to be corrected by someone more knowledgeable but I think that the timber produced here isn't of a good enough grade for construction. It grows a bit on the fast side to be strong enough.

Timber and commodities in general are up globally though. Could be just that hitting us.

They do use some of it for construction. They make 6x2's and the like from sitka spruce but a lot of it goes to the Medite factory as well. Tis nearly all sitka here and it's "forced out of the ground" as the saying goes. There was some harvested up the road here and that one lad who was objecting to all the felling has had a stop put to his march last time I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Glennons and a couple of other would produce timber planks but there is a large amount of timber sent straight to medite in clonmel or smartply in Waterford for their ply sheets both shall we say coillte have a considerable interest in. The utter ****e is sent up to masonite for making door skins that are sent over to the states or burned in CHPs .

• Advertisement
Advertisement