Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assistant Lecturer Salary Scale - previous experience

Options
  • 15-05-2021 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello all,

I'm looking to establish if my past (part-time) lecturing experience in other institutions can be taken into account when establishing my potential starting point on the Assistant Lecturer salary scale (IoT).

Some of my past teaching has been non-scale (occasional/adjunct at universities), and some on the College Teacher scale (IoT) but the nature of the responsibilities have been equivalent to those of colleagues on the Assistant Lecturer Scale (albeit on a part-time basis). The number of annual teaching hours involved are significant, as is the number of years I've been teaching at third level. This experience was gained post-2001, which from what I've read seems to be a cut-off point of sorts.

Is there any likelihood of being able to enter at a point higher than point 1 of the AL scale, based on my experience (and given that I hold postgrad qualifications)?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hollyjolliday

Thanks a mil - unfortunately I entered the sector shortly after the 2011 cut-off point... gah!

I'd say you'd probably still get credit. Eg., here's from an AS brief. It might be dependent on the institute/university. You can't move onto the lecturer scale unless you've been working for 5 continuous years + other conditions, so it's not a major negotiation going up a few points on the AS scale.

553319.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

The key point is that you need to establish that your previous positions were at the same level and the same work as encompassed by the AL contract.

If you could evidence that you assessed students, wrote exam papers, worked on programme design, course promotion etc... then you would have a good chance. If you were doing tutorial support in a un / private college, where you did not write assessments or develop programmes then probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hollyjolliday

Thanks! I can provide evidence of all the above, so I really hope it will count for something.

• Advertisement

OP How did you get on

Incidentally, I have heard of people in the meantime who got bumped up the scale when joining new. They just needed to provide evidence of a higher salary as well as experience, more than what's in the post - so if you have 10 years experience and the job description asks for 5, they'll move you up 5 points.

There are differences in how different institutes deal with this. It would not be universal.

IMO, the experts in answering this question are the TUI. They should be able to tell you if you qualify (or might qualify) for incremental credit. If anyone has any doubts or queries it would be worth giving them a shout.

Advertisement