Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administering a simple estate

Options
  • 17-05-2021 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

My mother died recently (intestate).

Dad said her only significant assets are a savings account and a Credit union account - total less than 50k. Also said she's not named on house deeds.

Do we need to get a solicitor involved, or would it be manageable applying for a grant of administration, and administering the will myself? (I understand there will likely be a fair bit of paperwork involved, but I'm not averse to a reasonable challenge).

Many thanks
    PJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭tax_tutor1

It can be quite doable if look at www.courts.ie/probate.
    Download the information sheets and the forms.
    There will be fees payable and you will need to prove/get confirmation of asset values etc. You can pm if you have any questions.
    You should note that personal applications/non solicitor can be refused by registrar in some situations if they believe the administrator is not capable of dealing with the estate or there are legal issues/disputes.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pj9999

Many thanks,

Just reading some guidelines on courts.ie

"If the deceased did not make a valid Will – one or more of the immediate next of kin alive at the date of death of the deceased are the person/persons entitled to extract the Grant. This person is called the Administrator."

My Dad is v elderly- I wonder if 'immediate' includes adult children.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭tax_tutor1

Yes it would. You can talk to your father and get written confirmation for probate office that he does not wish to administrator the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yup. Your father, as her closest surviving family member, has the first right to act as administrator, but he doesn't have to. He can disclaim the role - just sign a statement saying that he doesn't want to do it. Then her next closest relatives - who would be you and any brothers and sister you may have - are entitled to apply. You can all do it jointly if you wish, or the others can disclaim, just like your father did, leaving you as the nearest relative wishing to apply.

Advertisement