Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat Wall Cappings for 4" block garden wall

Options
  • 31-03-2021 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

I'm building a small garden wall for some plants using 4 inch blocks and thin stone cladding. Anywhere I look for flat grey capping the widths seem to start at 330ml which is way too wide. Is there anywhere around the Dublin area that does capping to fit this size wall (around the 150ml wide mark)?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

dk1982 wrote: »
    I'm building a small garden wall for some plants using 4 inch blocks and thin stone cladding. Anywhere I look for flat grey capping the widths seem to start at 330ml which is way too wide. Is there anywhere around the Dublin area that does capping to fit this size wall (around the 150ml wide mark)?
    Thanks

I've been thinking about this myself for a small wall around a flower bed. The best i could come up with was to get some 600 x 300 granite paving slabs and cut them down the middle. This would give a 600 x 150mm wide strip to use as edging. The cut edge would be on the inside of the flower bed. I would probably clamp some 2 x 1 to the slab for the grinder to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭dk1982

I've been thinking about this myself for a small wall around a flower bed. The best i could come up with was to get some 600 x 300 granite paving slabs and cut them down the middle. This would give a 600 x 150mm wide strip to use as edging. The cut edge would be on the inside of the flower bed. I would probably clamp some 2 x 1 to the slab for the grinder to follow.

Great shout. Might have to look into going down that route.

DIY KING wrote: »

Yep and that's saddleback only, looking for flat. Didnt realise they'd be so difficult to find! Thanks anyway

Apologies, must have read your original post too quick !!
    These boys up north have a 6" listed:
    https://www.moore-concrete.com/building/wall-copings-and-pillar-caps/
    Ardee Precast do a 210mm wide version https://www.ardeeprecastconcrete.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/APC-625_Coping_Type-20_217mm_wide_100mm_high.pdf
    Purpose of overhang I guess is a drip - will ye be plastering walls ?

• Advertisement

Apologies, must have read your original post too quick !!
    These boys up north have a 6" listed:
    https://www.moore-concrete.com/building/wall-copings-and-pillar-caps/
    Ardee Precast do a 210mm wide version https://www.ardeeprecastconcrete.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/APC-625_Coping_Type-20_217mm_wide_100mm_high.pdf
    Purpose of overhang I guess is a drip - will ye be plastering walls ?

Thanks a mill for that. Will have a look. Will be just putting some thin stone cladding on the wall so will be about 4.5 inches wide max once done

Just want to say thanks a mill for the suggestion here. Six 600*300 slabs at 6 quid a pop cut down the middle worked a treat and saved me a fortune on bespoke caps.

Looks great. What did you cut them with and how did you hold them in place ?

Looks great. What did you cut them with and how did you hold them in place ?

I probably should have clarified that when I said I was "building a garden wall" I meant I was paying two handy Polish lads to build it :-) I was just sourcing the hardware, so unfortunately I'm not sure how they did all that tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The capping looks great.

• Advertisement

dk1982 wrote: »
    I probably should have clarified that when I said I was "building a garden wall" I meant I was paying two handy Polish lads to build it :-) I was just sourcing the hardware, so unfortunately I'm not sure how they did all that tbh

:D:D No worries, probably a con-saw. Looks great.
    Do I see some cheeky astro too ?? :p

:D:D No worries, probably a con-saw. Looks great.
    Do I see some cheeky astro too ?? :p

Haha you do indeed. Getting lazy in my old age. All about the low maintenance 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Some_randomer

Hi @dk1982 did you post pics of the final result? I don't see any.

Are you Dublin based? I'm in Dublin 9 and am planning to build a retaining wall around a curved flower bed but will be using limestone slabs instead of concrete blocks. I don't have the skills to do it though so any chance you could pm me the details of the Polish lads you used?

Cheers 👍

Advertisement