Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending a site, to solve a problem.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You will buy very little marginal land for sub 5k/ acre, Forrestry which admittedly is virtually closed at present puts a 4-5k base on most land.

Anyway agri value is immaterial when valuing small plots

I got a few small fields of marginal at 3k an acre not that long ago.

Anyway, as the seller here is not selling, for all we know the owner might have a huge attachment to this parcel, may want to keep it as natural habitat, whatever and no price will be high enough.

Cheapest option here would be to tell the farmer you're fixing the boundary and would like to clear back and keep back with his permission, the overgrowth. Really depends on your relationship with the owner, as he might fear an adverse possession case at some point if he lets that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,696 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wouldn't a good strimmer with a teethed head and a nice conversation with the owner not sort all of this out. Maybe clean up every few years or so

Dunedin wrote: »
    That’s €7.5 an acre for ground that’s growing briars and no road frontage. Seems a lot. I’d be thinking €1 or €1.5k Would fees be €2k????

Just had an update today on my own attempted purchase. Solicitors alone, over €2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Good loser

Just had an update today on my own attempted purchase. Solicitors alone, over €2k.

Price another solicitor.

Good loser wrote: »
    Price another solicitor.

Not my choice unfortunately as the seller want's me to pay their legal costs. My own solicitor is quite reasonable, as he says himself the other solicitors price, considering the small area of land, is "fairly spicy".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Not my choice unfortunately as the seller want's me to pay their legal costs. My own solicitor is quite reasonable, as he says himself the other solicitors price, considering the small area of land, is "fairly spicy".

I had that situation with banks they use there own solicitors and you pay. There solicitors then charge 2-3 k.

About 16 years ago I moving lenders for the farm loan and relaxing equity to pay off a brother who lend me some of the money. The bank agreed that solicitors costs would be 1100 euro. When signing the final documents as it was equity release my own solicitors said that the banks solicitors had send his bill 1100+ sundries+ vat. I explained that the agreement was 1100 euro. My own solicitor asked explained that the vat and sundries were outside norm costs.

I explained to him that if I asked plumber to.price the plumbing of a house he could not come back and add vat to the bill or sundries for accountant fees.

I said the banks solicitor could take the 1100 euro or he could bill the bank and I argue my case with the bank. He took the 1100 euro.

Solicitors are the biggest shower of vultures out there. Now the size of a transfer is immaterial if it's all one transaction on one folio. It immaterial whether it a piece of ground costing 10 million or 1k the paper work is the same except you need to make sure that all the T and I are dotted and crossed . In the 10 million one you expect the solicitor to double check everything and mane pay a bit of a premium. However most transaction should cost no more than 1k+ vat

Slava Ukrainii

This piece of land isn't something I will walk away from or foul up over a grand or two tbh. If it were just any parcel of land, then I'd certainly argue the case. Over the long term, as this is a strategic move, the increase in price will be slight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I'd say you're looking at €20k to get the ball rolling. Not sure why people are even quoting the price of agricultural land here, you want land to add onto your house. That's adding onto a site so it'd be the price of a site I'd be quoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

To put it in context I had a similar situation with a neighbour and charged him 6k for about a 1/3 acre and he fenced it.
    I was of the opinion (and still am) that I was doing him a massive favour at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

To put it in context I had a similar situation with a neighbour and charged him 6k for about a 1/3 acre and he fenced it.
    I was of the opinion (and still am) that I was doing him a massive favour at that price.

You were more than fair with him

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Good loser

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I'd say you're looking at €20k to get the ball rolling. Not sure why people are even quoting the price of agricultural land here, you want land to add onto your house. That's adding onto a site so it'd be the price of a site I'd be quoting.

The thing is the 'site potential' has already been realised in the initial purchase i.e. the premium over agrl value has already being paid.
    An add-on to that site, especially if it goes around all three sides ( and neglected, presumably low value land) should be priced at agrl prices. Say plus a premium for small areas involved. Fair would be agrl value plus 50% plus all expenses incl vendors CGT.

Advertisement