Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What would you do if you seen someone crash into a parked car with no driver in it?

Options
  • 14-05-2021 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,673 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

I seen that today. I was busy so did not do anything but I could see it happening. She was driving or Shull I say trying to drive a red 3 door Micra and obviously selected reverse instead of forward and the went smack into the front number of a parked Toyota Auris. She was a learner a driver a think. Big L plates on the car. I suspect she was not using her mirrors or it would not have happened. More likely she was looking at the gears and did not know the difference between forward and reverse. There was someone else there that seen it too so I left it at that. I thought at first that she was by herself but she had someone with her.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭User1998

I probably would have taken the registration number and left a note on the cars window with my number to call me for more info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Horrible thing to happen to the 3rd party.
    Learner or not, there are consequences for your actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Witnessed this once in Dublin. Saw a guy reverse in to a space and smash into the car behind so I stopped to see what he did.

And, of course, he got out and walked away. I called after him and took his details and left them on the car.

He told me to mind my own business and sure that's what bumpers are for. The prick was driving a 20 year old car and the one he hit was only a year or 2 old. I was raging.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Did she drive off or just hit the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,673 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

bladespin wrote: »
    Did she drive off or just hit the car?

No she stayed around after hitting it for a little while. Did eventually drive off.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Did something similar 2 days ago, heard a crunch as a recessed on to spot. Must have been distracted. Anyways moved my car and wrote a note with my details saying what happened. Checked their car, just he dent on the reg plate.
    Got text off them later saying nondmaage done not to worry about it.
    Was afraid that that they could say a heap of damage was done when it wasn't. Suppose tis a 2 way trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Saw it happen 2/3 years ago in a car park. Woman turns in right into a spot and catches the drivers door of the car on her left with the front left corner of her car. She was oldish enough but she reversed out and parked somewhere else. Did a nice bit of damage. Anyways I waited probably half an hour for someone to come back to the car and eventually this lad wanders across the car park, I blow my horn at him , he comes over and I explain to him what happened. I was in my own car parked maybe 3 rows opposite his car. Told him I had the reg of the car that hit it. Anyways he tips on over to inspect his car, gave it a quick look, turns to me, gives me the thumbs up , gets into his car and drives off. Obviously didn’t give a **** about the damage. I was like WTF.

In another incident a woman opened her door against my car, and was walking away until I called her. She immediately got confrontational and maintained the damage was nothing even though the mark of her door was about 12 inches long on my car. Told her she would be getting a claim against her insurance. She was apoplectic with rage now and actually called the guards. They came and basically said she was wasting their time. They took her details anyway and gave them to me. I claimed, I got it fixed. Maybe she learned her lesson , maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Accidents happen but own up to them, it is the best policy and the decent thing to do. I would forgive a lot of someone who left details and owned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Accidents happen but own up to them, it is the best policy and the decent thing to do. I would forgive a lot of someone who left details and owned up.

There’s a big difference between an accident and a din’t give a toss parker or someone who does criminal damage & then leaves without a care in the world.

I’d totally taKe a photo of the car & driver & reg & leave a note for the other car - boils my blood - I used see a lot of it at a cafe where I’d often sit outside & have breakfast - total ***$*$*** playing bumpercars with beautiful new audis or bmw’s and not giving two ****s. A few sharp claims in their insurance with a timed cctv footage & a witness should make then more careful or considerate. I’ve dine it for people a few times. People spend a lot of money having a good / new car and it sickens me to see this. I’ve put myself out a lot to punish them via their insurance - money is the only thing some people understand and value - sadly mostly only their own. They don’t care if a car is someones pride & joy or only on HP & the damage will have to be factored into value & paid for or if its someone pride & joy they’ve just wrecked it. It boils my blood every time. Notes for everyone. And insurance details.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A few years ago I saw a car reverse out of a driveway and thump hard into a car at the end of a driveway on the other side of the road and then drive off at speed. I tried to follow to get the registration number but bailed out as the other car tore off at speed. Instead, I called into the house of the owner of the car that was hit, explained what I saw and gave him the make and model of the car I saw. I also gave him my phone number.

He rang me a couple of days later to thank me. He said that he spoke to his neighbour across the road and the neighbour said he had a takeaway delivered at that time. A quick call to the takeaway in question with the make and model and the driver owned up and agreed to pay for the repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've seen this before. Woman hit a car and left a lot of damage. She then moved to a different spot. I drove up beside her and said it to her. She started screaming saying I was abusing her and she felt scared for her kids in the car. (I was being 100% reasonable). She screamed that I tried attacking her and security came along. She started crying and saying I threatened her and the security guy asked me to go. I explained the whole situation to him and she got worse and worse. I was asked to leave the premises.

Went to the Gardai and explained. Told them I had dashcam footage of the whole situation. They just told me if the owners contacts them they'll be in touch but not much I can do. Even explained how dangerous the woman was with her screaming and claims against me if "attacking" her. They weren't interested.

Unfortunately this is what you can be up against

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I saw this happen one Sunday morning last summer and rang the Gardai. I had the number plate of both the driver and the parked car and took a photo of the parked car and its number plate.
    The attitude of the Gardai was incredible. "Come in some evening to make a statement will you". This was about a 2 minute drive from the Garda station. I was genuinely shocked at how little of a toss they gave.
    I got a phone call a few days later from Gardai - they said they rang the owner of the parked car who was on holidays but was adamant that their car wasn't parked there (in spite of my video footage to the contrary). I suspect to this day somebody was playing away from home and they weren't supposed to be parked there.

I never heard any more about it. I'm not sure I'd bother reporting it again if I saw it to be honest, I felt like I was the only person who seemed to care about a parked car being damaged and a driver driving off! Gardai didn't care, car owner didn't care, clearly the auld fellah who drove off didn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Anyways he tips on over to inspect his car, gave it a quick look, turns to me, gives me the thumbs up , gets into his car and drives off. Obviously didn’t give a **** about the damage. I was like WTF.

Maybe not insured himself and didn't want any hassle that way?

I tipped the side of a car when reversing. Lost concentration as a skip truck was quickly reversing down the road in my direction.

Was barely moving when tipped it. Parked again, got out, had a look, pheww no damage.

Was waiting for owner to come back, witness comes over, he obviously had learning difficulties and produced a notebook and pen and started writing down my reg etc.

Was raging and said I was waiting for the owner and to butt out. Owner arrived in a few minutes and I explained the story and she agreed there was no damage. I gave her a piece of paper with my reg and and phone number in case paint flecked off or a small dent was found afterwards. Lad comes over offering to be a witness!!, the look I gave him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I’d pull them from their car, performing a citizens arrest, and I’d sit on their chest until the Gardai arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I’d pull them from their car, performing a citizens arrest, and I’d sit on their chest until the Gardai arrive.

It's not an arrestable offence, it's a civil matter. The Gardai will be more interested in you sitting on someone than the incident itself.

It's not an arrestable offence, it's a civil matter. The Gardai will be more interested in you sitting on someone than the incident itself.

Just on something related to this. If someone was so drunk they couldn't keep the car on the road, just crashed into a hedge and about to drive off, kids around could you pull them out of the car and arrest them in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,519 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Mimon wrote: »
    Just on something related to this. If someone was so drunk they couldn't keep the car on the road, just crashed into a hedge and about to drive off, kids around could you pull them out of the car and arrest them in this case?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭corks finest

User1998 wrote: »
    I probably would have taken the registration number and left a note on the cars window with my number to call me for more info

Same , saw it happen in Carrigaline ( Dunne’s stores car park,this one hit the car a damaged it and tried to drive out quickly, i whipped out the phone , took a pic, got a mouthful and the fingers ( mid 4O s) she legged it. Wrote a note and left it and rang the law, left my name number, heard no more,thinking it’s a lousy thing to do and then leg it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That will depend on the facts and circumstances. If the individual is reckless as regards the damage they case then it would constitute criminal damage in respect of which there is a tariff of up to 10 years on indictment and thus it would be an arrestable offence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement