Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White foxglove hunt

Options
  • 22-06-2020 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if we have a flower/wildflower forum here so apologies if this should go elsewhere but a cursory look didn't bring up anything!

I'm a bit of a fan not just of foxgloves, but of white foxgloves. The hunt is on for some, I used to know of one up the road from me but someone cut it down. I know someone in Bishopstown up in Cork has one in their garden, but since they are biennial, it was not up this year.

The biggest site I've seen is Red Rock in Howth that is carpeted with them, but again last year and not this year.

I'm based in Cork and the only place I've seen them this year is two ratty looking specimens just south of the airport on the road to Kinsale.

Anyone know of any in the Cork area, or are there any very impressive places in the country where there are loads of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

They're actually my favourite native flower and I let them grow around the place- my sense is they don't necessarily grow "true" colour-wise. Mine are every shade from strong pink/purple to just-off white, and they are seeding freely around the place. If you want I will bag seed from the whiter ones when the seed heads dry out a little (I'm in Kildare).

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

I've one growing that is almost white. As above you're welcome to some seeds - in a few weeks time. I'm in Dublin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are white ones potentially garden escapes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

Opposite bank of the river down in Murphy's farm (opposite the pitch n putt green) Bishopstown - used be plentiful

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

are white ones potentially garden escapes?
    I think the common foxglove comes naturally in all shades of purple through pink and on to white.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I don't know if this is of any use to you: https://www.thegardenshop.ie/foxglove-plants/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Interesting. Thats a different type though, it would be the pure white I'm looking for, believe it or not its actually a slightly different species.

I found a third one in Cork the other day, a single lonely wind swept white specimen not far from Finn McCools seat out on the Sheeps Head Peninsula. Sadly though they're getting to the end of their life now, I might try to stop dangerously on the road by the airport to get some seeds from those ones. I doubt I'll be able to make it up to Kildare/Dublin for seeds but thanks!!!

I've attached the SHeeps Head one. Its seen better days....

A year later the hunt begins again.

Foxgloves are late coming out this year but are beginning to emerge. I've only seen regular pink ones in Cork so far, apart from my greenhouse, where I have grown an eight foot tall monster white one with several tendrils with additional white bits. Its absolutely amazing, very regal looking compared to the pink ones and easily the best foxglove I've ever seen!

Any sightings in the wild?

The one white foxglove that was up in a house in Bishopstown seeded two years ago, as there are now five small ones growing. Happy to see that. No other wild sightings yet this year.

I've attached a picture of my one.

Found two more in Bishopstown!

Theres a second one in another private garden, visible from the road of course.

There is also a taller one on public land just here -> https://goo.gl/maps/4APYGhkVjDxcDvSNA

• Advertisement

Another year, another set of White Foxgloves.

Some very nice sightings this year - they seem to be doing very well down in Tramore and quite well in Killarney.

Two specimens close to the metal man sculpture near Tramore

Newtown Grotto in Tramore has several tall ones

Coming into Killarney just before one of the bridges on the N22

One of the roundabouts in Killarney itself has several

In a ditch just at the northeastern part of Caragh Lake near Killorglin

One slightly unhappy specimen to the left of the road just as you pass the roadworks coming eastbound and go into the 80kmh zone west of Ballyvourney

The one in Bishopstown has appeared this year which surprised me as it flowered last year. Unfortunately someone cut it down.

So we're doing well so far. Plenty to see.

Advertisement