Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freestanding block on flat garden wall L-shaped

Options
  • 15-05-2021 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Planning a freestanding L-shaped block on flat garden wall. Have done the research, considered factors such as wind and load etc but it’s hobbled together from lots of different sources.

Is there building regs in ireland to advise on such a thing? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭karlitob

A pic of what’s planned so far

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You could look at TGD Part A (Structure) but that can be argued in the context of a building.

A wall would need to be constructed taking into account the principles of structural engineering so be mindful of slenderness ratios, foundation, wind load and any other loads such as kids playing, walking on etc

Last thing you need is it to fall on top of someone, no matter how small a project is.

Sounds straight forward though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭karlitob

Gumbo wrote: »
    You could look at TGD Part A (Structure) but that can be argued in the context of a building.

A wall would need to be constructed taking into account the principles of structural engineering so be mindful of slenderness ratios, foundation, wind load and any other loads such as kids playing, walking on etc

Last thing you need is it to fall on top of someone, no matter how small a project is.

Sounds straight forward though.

Thanks for that.

The plan is for it to be a seating area (floating bench) so need to figure out that piece. I’m presuming 7 hefty lads at 100kgs. If not, then purchased seating with no floating.

Sheltered site but I’ve looked up wind zones.

Foundation I’m happy enough with also.

Will check out slenderness ratios.

Thanks for forwarding those standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

we don't do advice here, but if this was my gig I would follow the usual rule of thumb that foundations are three times the block width, assuming good ground,
    Also I would be looking at a 300 deep footing, finished 300 below ground level

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

Shows a 4" block on flat - that makes for a squat thick wall. Grand if its the thing you want, but maybe a 6 inch block will give better coverage and only some loss of thickness... For a garden wall this will be rendered I guess.

One idea seeing as you are really into the design is maybe consider pouring the wall with wedge support for the bench integrated and then put high quality stone cappig on seat and wall.. Needs good skills, but if done right might look really well. Of course you would have to consider drainage from the seat area.. Of course you could also put something warmer on the seat hardwood etc and then drainage not so much an issue.

If its your "thing", maybe add routing for wiring for LED lighting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement