Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a cordless drill

Options
  • 10-05-2021 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Going to treat myself to a new drill, only do the usual DIY with a bit of wood work, anyone have a recommendation?

Currently have a b&d 12v that I use for screw etc and a large power drill for if I need to drill into concrete etc.
    Had a guy in fitting broadband and he had what I would call a very small and neat cordless drill that drilled through the concrete like it was butter :) made me realise my 20+ year old drills could do with an update.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Hi,

Really depends on your budget.
    I would consider this to be a good value twin kit with a few good features:
      [/
    • impact driver for screws
    • two batteries with a decent capacity (4Ah each)
    • good combi-drill with hammer function
      LIST]

Good value at €240 (imo) which would be up to most if not all DIY jobs...

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Have a look on screwfix website as it gets reviews from the users who bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Parkside range by Lidl do the job for me - occasional DIY. Go for the larger battery if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I went with Ryobi for my drill and impact driver. One of the things I spent time on is deciding which battery eco system I wanted to buy into. As Ryobi basically havent changed the battery shape in a very long time, I can use the same battery on my drill, leaf blower, strimmer etc.

Just something to consider if you are expecting to go cordless with other tools in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

This drill is in Aldi,, €120. Cannot see it on the Irish site but there was a few of them for sale last night when I was in.
    Is the 2ah battery enough?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/scheppach-mobile-workshop-drill/p/804247467611800

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Snotty wrote: »
    Going to treat myself to a new drill, only do the usual DIY with a bit of wood work, anyone have a recommendation?

Currently have a b&d 12v that I use for screw etc and a large power drill for if I need to drill into concrete etc.
    Had a guy in fitting broadband and he had what I would call a very small and neat cordless drill that drilled through the concrete like it was butter :) made me realise my 20+ year old drills could do with an update.

Buy once, buy right and never buy again.

Have a range of Black & decker (Poor enough), Makita (pretty good but the older models, not sure if new stuff is as good) and Dewalt (always seems to stand up).

If you plan on making holes in concrete get a good sds - goes through like butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

I use... a large power drill for if I need to drill into concrete etc.
    Had a guy in fitting broadband and he had what I would call a very small and neat cordless drill that drilled through the concrete like it was butter

It's not really a matter of a good drill, it's the one that's right for the job. It sounds like the larger drill you've been using for concrete is just the wrong kind.

For masonry, anything except a SDS drill is a waste of time. These do go through masonry like butter but usually aren't "very small". Combi-drills have a masonry function, but it's very slow for anything but very soft materials. Sounds like this guy either had one of the few SDS drills that could be called small, or was using a combi-drill and went through the mortar instead of the brick. SDS drill can be got in lidl for as little as 35, but normally they start at about 100

Other than that you have

cordless (and combi) dare for drilling standard holes and are all-rounders, if you only get one drill this is what you get.

Impact drivers which are for screwing in screws. They have a chuck which is designed for only taking screw bits so you don't use them for drilling (you can get drill bits that fit, but they're expensive for something that might break and tend to be wobbly anyway). Doesn't sound that great but feels kind of life-changing once you start using them (same with SDS tbh).

If you've got the money then treat yourself to a nice dewalt/makita/etc if your pockets will take it but for home use I'd try and get all three before moving to better brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Is there some way we can put together a Drill FAQ? Questions about drill recommendation have to be fairly common.

While the brand recommendations may change a little overtime there are a few things that don't change .....

Drill types

Plain Drilling/Screwing

Impact driver (perhaps not strictly a drill)

Hammer drill (normally a feature of a combi drill)

SDS ​

Battery V Corded

Brushes V brushless

Battery Voltage and Amperage.

Chuck types

Bit types sizes and uses

Lidl/Aldi Drills V big brand names

etc etc

The B&Q Drill buying guide covers a lot of it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

This drill is in Aldi,, €120. Cannot see it on the Irish site but there was a few of them for sale last night when I was in.
    Is the 2ah battery enough?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/scheppach-mobile-workshop-drill/p/804247467611800

That could be a good drill but I'm not sure if I was buying I wouldn't stick to a brand (even Lidl or Aldi's own brands) were the batteries could be used in another tool. However for someone who only wants a drill thats not a bad choice.

Plus a three year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/dewalt-dck2060m2t-sfgb-18v-4-0ah-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-twin-pack/362jt#product_additional_details_container

You can thank me after you’ve used them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

If you're buying a drill for concrete you would need to find the drills impact energy rating not to be confused with an impact drill. The sds drills have a high impact rating normally over 6J. This is what makes them go through concrete like butter. Most of the cordless sds drills would be under 2.5J. so if you're dealing with fresh concrete the cordless would do but if its anything older that 15 year old concrete I would get a corded sds. They also have the bonus of being able to chisel.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Wolftown

I've a Black and Decker combi. Has served me well over the past 2 years.

Will go through concrete on hammer setting, but certainly not like butter..so it depends how much concrete drilling you plan to do really.

Kit also came with 2 batteries which is handy.

mickuhaha wrote: »
    If you're buying a drill for concrete you would need to find the drills impact energy rating not to be confused with an impact drill. The sds drills have a high impact rating normally over 6J. This is what makes them go through concrete like butter. Most of the cordless sds drills would be under 2.5J. so if you're dealing with fresh concrete the cordless would do but if its anything older that 15 year old concrete I would get a corded sds. They also have the bonus of being able to chisel.

Highly inaccurate post that only serves to confuse those unfamiliar with power tools.

Sub 2.5 joules perfectly fine for concrete SDS work
    Cordless SDS unit can chisel too

tDw6u1bj wrote: »
    It's not really a matter of a good drill, it's the one that's right for the job. It sounds like the larger drill you've been using for concrete is just the wrong kind.

No the corded drill is definitely the right tool for it, it's just that it is large, heavy and obviously needs to be plugged in so even for drilling a small hole in brickwork requires the extension cable out and I was just admiring the newer drills that are obviously more advanced than my 20 year old 12v :)

I think the dewalt twin pack seems like a good choice however if that aldi drill gets reduced to sub €100, seen there are a good few of them there over week, I'd be tempted even as a backup

No the corded drill is definitely the right tool for it, it's just that it is large, heavy and obviously needs to be plugged in so even for drilling a small hole in brickwork requires the extension cable out and I was just admiring the newer drills that are obviously more advanced than my 20 year old 12v :)

I think the dewalt twin pack seems like a good choice however if that aldi drill gets reduced to sub €100, seen there are a good few of them there over week, I'd be tempted even as a backup

Really nothing wrong with 12V I used a 12V Hitachi for years. In the end I couldn't get replacement batteries for it.

Then if you only occasionally need to drill into brick then getting the extension lead out will save you quids on batteries sat doing nothing.

Get away from the corded stuff. Buy the set I linked...and then just pick up a 133 or a 253 naked (both are SDS). You’ll already have the batteries. Then your drilling arsenal will be complete ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

Would anyone recommend Argos for power tools? Looking at the website, prices are competitive.

Picked up a black and decker mini angle grinder in Argos for a tenner cheaper than Woodies, exact same type. No harm to use Argos to compare prices but do your homework on actual spec of tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

as there seems to be always a good bit of advice here re tools have you come across the brand Kielder, they are made in Yorkshire mostly supplied with 4ah interchangeable batteries and brushless motors with 3 year warranty. I got their 750 newton meter 1/2 inch impact driver last year for E 236 and it is a serious piece of kit, (google Kielder tools) or find them on facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

DeWalt 18v cordless from Screwfix.
    Excellent drills from DeWalt.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

askU wrote: »
    Would anyone recommend Argos for power tools? Looking at the website, prices are competitive.

Depends, their own brand stuff like Guild is muck.

Best bang for buck is Lidl 20v (€25) plus 2ah battery and charger (€25) plus spare 2ah battery (€16)

They sometimes do a hammer version for €30 too.

Great warranty.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Depends, their own brand stuff like Guild is muck.

Best bang for buck is Lidl 20v (€25) plus 2ah battery and charger (€25) plus spare 2ah battery (€16)

They sometimes do a hammer version for €30 too.

Great warranty.

How often would these come into Lidl?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A few times a year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

How often would these come into Lidl?

Keep an eye, often seen builders go in a fleece the stuff, lads i know who do contract work and have guys working for them swear by the Lidl stuff.

Now their reasoning is the lads they have wreck everything no matter how good and the Lidl stuff does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Keep an eye, often seen builders go in a fleece the stuff, lads i know who do contract work and have guys working for them swear by the Lidl stuff.

Now their reasoning is the lads they have wreck everything no matter how good and the Lidl stuff does the job.[/QUOTE

Builders buy cheap and burn them out and go again , Disposable.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

TimHorton wrote: »

Builders buy cheap and burn them out and go again , Disposable.

Lidl tools aren't built to take the abuse of a site, but with a regular home user they'll only ever see occasional use and are plenty up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lidl tools aren't built to take the abuse of a site, but with a regular home user they'll only ever see occasional use and are plenty up to the job.

The specific use I saw referred to in a Youtube video was using the battery end of a drill/impact driver as a lump hammer. :D

• Advertisement

Spot on !

Advertisement