Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Roots Festival 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Lads is there a list of whos playing on which night, the website is giving me a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

zweton wrote: »
    Lads is there a list of whos playing on which night, the website is giving me a headache.

No, no stage times yet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Oh I’d say so! Can you imagine. There could be a big scrabble for tickets yet!

Tbh I would prefer if we just bought tickets now but the rest of the group would rather wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭RINO87

Look at it this way. This festival is 3 months away.... Think back three months and look at how far we have come. 3 months agó was early February, our vaccine programme was barely getting off the ground and the outlook looked pretty bleak...

We are now in much much better place, add another 3 months of progress on top of that and i really can't see any reason for this not to happen.

I'm actually allowing myself to get excited over this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭endainoz

Tbh I would prefer if we just bought tickets now but the rest of the group would rather wait.

Oh man tell me about it! I'm trying to convince the EP crew to come to this in case EP gets cancelled again due to its massive size. Wild Roots has a better chance to happen I think. Of course I'd love to see both happen and along with the Doolin folk festival in mid September, ill get three great festivals in a month!

• Advertisement

RINO87 wrote: »
    Look at it this way. This festival is 3 months away.... Think back three months and look at how far we have come. 3 months agó was early February, our vaccine programme was barely getting off the ground and the outlook looked pretty bleak...

We are now in much much better place, add another 3 months of progress on top of that and i really can't see any reason for this not to happen.

I'm actually allowing myself to get excited over this!!

I set up a Viber group with my mates for this festival and in my first post I lay down the one rule for the group: when talking about this festival you must speak as if it is definitely happening, like you would have had COVID 19 never been a thing. And you only got into the group once you had committed, ie bought a ticket (proof of purchase required). It’s worked a treat and helped lift some of the COVID gloom in our lives :)

There are 5 in the group now, not a cynic amongst us.

No, no stage times yet.

I can only attend for one day but theres no way of telling whos playing on any given day (in full i mean). When will we know?

I can only attend for one day but theres no way of telling whos playing on any given day (in full i mean). When will we know?

Not sure. I’ll ask. You’d imagine Kaiser Chiefs will be the Saturday night anyway.

Not sure. I’ll ask. You’d imagine Kaiser Chiefs will be the Saturday night anyway.

If you can ask that would be super.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spindex

Some of the dates are up, kaiszer chiefs are Sunday.
    https://wildroots.ie/line-up/
    Just scroll down

• Advertisement

spindex wrote: »
    Just scroll down

Very good. Well spotted.

spindex wrote: »
    Just scroll down

oh ya i can see some of the main acts but for example king kong company(who i want to see) and smaller acts you have no idea...even a day would be good.

If you can ask that would be super.

I asked but no reply, unfortunately. They have been excellent at replying to my messages up to now, hopefully, they are just so busy now they've no time to reply to my questions! Certainly looks that way from their IG stories :cool:

I asked but no reply, unfortunately. They have been excellent at replying to my messages up to now, hopefully, they are just so busy now they've no time to reply to my questions! Certainly looks that way from their IG stories :cool:

no prob thanks, they may come back yet

I really have great belief in these guys organising Wildroots for a few months now, they are so proactive and tbh gave me great hope during some dark weeks through the winter! They are running a small test event in Sligo today - click here.

I really want this to go ahead more for their sake as much as mine at this stage because they have put so much into it!

Great to look back at their Insta story from last night, a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Is there a definite answer as to whether this will go ahead?

timmyntc wrote: »
    Is there a definite answer as to whether this will go ahead?

Nope, but I do think there's a good chance of it being used as a pilot event as it's capped at 10,000

Nothing in the events sphere is definite yet. I believe there is a government announcement this Friday regarding live events which will include what will and will not be allowed go ahead. This will give organisers an idea of what they can do and if it’s possible to go ahead or not.

I’d imagine after this announcement we will see festivals being pulled, like EP perhaps, or they will be able confirm that they are going ahead. I personally think there’s a good chance of this one going ahead (got my tickets on Feb!) and All Together Now too which is two weeks prior.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What's going to happen with this one now, with events capped at 5,000 people, will there be another restriction change during August to make this event possible by festival time.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

They are making it impossible for event planners to plan! I see a load of festivals and gigs being pulled now. There was so many positive indicators in the last few weeks but I fear this announcement will be the final nail for some. Government completely lacking in ambition imo, why the f@ck couldn’t fully vaccinated people attend? Set up up a walk in testing centre in Sligo on the Thursday, use lateral flow testing, sniffer dogs etc

Lowest I’ve felt in a while. Hopefully my pessimism will be ill founded.

They are making it impossible for event planners to plan! I see a load of festivals and gigs being pulled now. There was so many positive indicators in the last few weeks but I fear this announcement will be the final nail for some. Government completely lacking in ambition imo, why the f@ck couldn’t fully vaccinated people attend? Set up up a walk in testing centre in Sligo on the Thursday, use lateral flow testing, sniffer dogs etc

Lowest I’ve felt in a while. Hopefully my pessimism will be ill founded.

I'm feeling low myself, but if you look at wild roots' Instagram story they see it as positive that they'll be allowed 5,000. I had thought it was capped at 10,000 unless they only sold 5,000 tickets to be safe? If that's the case we're laughing. It does all seem so far away though, the country will be in a much better position in the middle of August.

endainoz wrote: »
    I'm feeling low myself, but if you look at wild roots' Instagram story they see it as positive that they'll be allowed 5,000. I had thought it was capped at 10,000 unless they only sold 5,000 tickets to be safe? If that's the case we're laughing. It does all seem so far away though, the country will be in a much better position in the middle of August.

Yeah, it almost certainly will be. They have sold 9000 tickets last I heard and the cap is 10k. If it doesn’t go ahead I’d feel awful for the organisers as they have put so much into it.

Let’s try to remain up beat! From a selfish PoV I got my second jab yesterday, today was the last day of school and it’s records and beer for the evening for me :cool:

Yeah, it almost certainly will be. They have sold 9000 tickets last I heard and the cap is 10k. If it doesn’t go ahead I’d feel awful for the organisers as they have put so much into it.

Let’s try to remain up beat! From a selfish PoV I got my second jab yesterday, today was the last day of school and it’s records and for the evening for me :cool:

Maybe they could split it into two weekends with the same lineup. It's mostly Irish acts anyway, could be a way around it I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭RINO87

endainoz wrote: »

Yeah it's an absolute dose. I had all my eggs in ATN'S Basket again this year, but got tickets for this too in early May. If it is capped at 5000 i doubt we would make the cut off... I hope those that had faith early on are rewarded with some type of festival

I just heard that The Haunt venue is coming to Wilds Roots :).

BD you should share some pics of the Haunt and tell us a bit more about how unreal it is!

Excuse my ignorance but what is this?

I lifted this from my EP review 2017, when the Haunt first appeared at Body&Soul Village, I hope you like.

Friday.
    " The biggest surprise though was the Haunt, a new barn type venue that looked like a set from a David Lynch film. Now the Haunt is quite a small venue maybe marginally bigger than the Red Bull Soundome, well maybe a crammed room if 150 people were there, but it had a creepy cool clandestine feel to it, almost like a candle light glow. The softest seats to the side and a great selection of DJs spinning the wonderful music. The music ranging from vaudeville, bebop, blues, folk music from around the world, deepest Africa, Cuba, Klezmer, Balkan, Mexican and Ireland too ending on a Christy Moore/Planxty note, it was really loud but beautiful sounds. There was no timetable information for the Haunt so I have no idea who was playing Friday or Saturday night. I just wonder if its the same people who ran the Gramophone Disco at Townlands Carnival as I remember a similar Planxty/Christy Moore thing happening in there too last year. Myself and Kevin headed back to the crew camp for the night at about 3.30 am, time to get a much needed rest.

the-haunt.jpg?w=525

Saturday.
    the-haunt-2.jpg?w=525

" We settled for the second night ending at the Haunt, that cool fully enclosed wooden looking byre, with intoxicating world music on a superb PA, the bass causing explosions and ruptures in your ears but it was ever so delightful. Yes, seats have become available. YONK! No sorry, not moving, can’t move.

The music that was brought to us over the weekend, courtesy of, Maxtractor-spudnikki Monchici, Killian Redmonk, Christine McQuilan, Mick T-woc, Chrissi Ferris, Andy Aforce, Ollie Moore, Gully Docktah Irie and Colin Olwill was so, so refreshing compared to what was in the dance stages of the main arena, not the marquees now but the Logic and Heineken stages. Some even reckon the Haunt was placed there to strategically counterpoint the dance stages, I think it worked too. I am proud to say, myself and Kevin were the last two thrown out of the place by 4.20 AM. "

Will add more from 2018 and 19 to follow. :)

• Advertisement

The Haunt at B&S EP 2018.

Advertisement