Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twin Wall Polycarbonate sheeting as roof - garden shed

Options
  • 15-05-2021 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭

If you were building a largish timber garden shed with the possibility of using it as an office space, would that 10mm twin wall polycarbonate sheeting as a roofing material provide much insulation?
    Like this stuff: https://www.goodwins.ie/products/twin-wall-polycarbonate-roofing-sheet-clear-10mm-3mtr-x-1mtr.html

It has an air gap so maybe it would provide some insulating factor.
    But would such sheeting have any longevity?

I just love the idea of the roof allowing so much light in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Absolutely not no.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

There are thicker sheets available with more walls - maybe up to 35mm with 5 or 6 cells for use in conservatories. Check out the data sheets for thermal performance. Have you trees near by, could be a disaster to keep clean. I've just done a 2m x 3m shed with metal roof and contemplated not putting any source of natural light. But ended up putting a 2m x 1m clear corrugated sheet down centre and its great (1/3 of roof area). But thermal performance not a priority for me as not heating the space. What other roofing materials are you open to using ? Are you going to insulate floors and walls ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Yes stupid tree next to it, not mine.
    Probably will have to go with metal roof, but can you sink a skylight in that?

And yes to insulate floors and walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

As soon as you put a hole in a roof you're fighting physics, because the water wants to take the shortest route to ground, i.e. through your shed.

So your detailing needs to be top notch. Whilst it's possible to make your own skylight (particularly if it's fixed), it might be easier to just buy one and build around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Composite metal panels one option with an inline type roof light to match profile. EPDM rubber on timber deck another option with upstand to form a rooflight. Would a window and glazed door do the trick and leave the roof solid ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement