Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food for an elderly dog

Options
  • 09-05-2021 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭

So I have an old dog, approx 20kg and roughly 16 years old has lost most of her teeth. I’ve decided to take her off dry nuts (champion grain free) as it’s too hard on her gums.
    I’ve tried soaking these nuts but she’s not a fan.
    What would people here recommend I do so she’s getting well fed. It’s hard to find canned food that isn’t muck. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If you want to buy wet food I’d recommend Rocco from Zooplus - comes in a senior variety, good ingredients and great value :) Home cooked would be another option but a lot of people seem to omit offal and a form of calcium so they’re not balanced.

https://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/canned_dog_food/rocco?subgroup=%2Fshop%2Fdogs%2Fcanned_dog_food%2Frocco%2Frocco_senior

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Why wouldn't a quality wet food like Harrington's be suitable? Also I dunno what your dog prefers but a bit of tuna (and maybe a spoonful of the oil or water from the can) mixed in with the soaked nuts might work, my dog will lick the bowl after I throw in a few bits after making a sandwich and she is a picky enough eater who would have to be starving to eat dry food without anything else mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

naturo wet food and is grain free

also at that age let em have what they like im not into special diets for oldies

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

jimf wrote: »
    naturo wet food and is grain free

also at that age let em have what they like im not into special diets for oldies

I agree, but I’d rather she’d eat something that’d help her health. She’d probably eat Tesco canned food if she got it but it’s shjte for her

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Im a huge fan of HOME COOKED - my elderly dogs all thrived on it, and really enjoyed their food.
    Every week I cook up a big pan of food and put into a couple of big tupperares in the fridge for daily dishing out.
    I make a pan of boned chicken thighs, a cup of brown rice, and any veg that I can chop up small - carrots, brocolli, sweet potato etc. Cover with water and simmer until cooked. For variety and depending on whats on offer in the shops, I will change the meat around - minced beef, minced lamb, minced turkey etc. Instead of rice I might use potatoes. I buy bags of frozen white fish in Tesco, and will cook that up very quickly with rice or lentils and some veg. I give them raw chicken wings a few times a week (for anal glands and for calcium and snack) I will put a raw egg on top of the bowl of above meals when the tupperware is running low. I'll also give them a tin of sardines in oil mixed in with some leftovers too. I add a bit of salmon oil for coats and skin, and all my lot are on a seaweed mix for anti-plaque/teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

aonb wrote: »
    Im a huge fan of HOME COOKED - my elderly dogs all thrived on it, and really enjoyed their food.
    Every week I cook up a big pan of food and put into a couple of big tupperares in the fridge for daily dishing out.
    I make a pan of boned chicken thighs, a cup of brown rice, and any veg that I can chop up small - carrots, brocolli, sweet potato etc. Cover with water and simmer until cooked. For variety and depending on whats on offer in the shops, I will change the meat around - minced beef, minced lamb, minced turkey etc. Instead of rice I might use potatoes. I buy bags of frozen white fish in Tesco, and will cook that up very quickly with rice or lentils and some veg. I give them raw chicken wings a few times a week (for anal glands and for calcium and snack) I will put a raw egg on top of the bowl of above meals when the tupperware is running low. I'll also give them a tin of sardines in oil mixed in with some leftovers too. I add a bit of salmon oil for coats and skin, and all my lot are on a seaweed mix for anti-plaque/teeth.

Jesus, that sounds good enough for myself, let alone my dog :).
    On a side note, sardines in sunflower are meant to be bad for dogs. Not the sardines part, but the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Jesus, that sounds good enough for myself, let alone my dog :).
    On a side note, sardines in sunflower are meant to be bad for dogs. Not the sardines part, but the oil.

I once found an overnight guest, a bit under the influence :cool: sitting at the kitchen table with the dogfood tupperware in front of him, with a bad case of the munchies :eek:

Advertisement