Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most common place for shower leak?

Options
  • 08-05-2021 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭

So I’ve noticed a slight en-suite shower leak on the ceiling below, installed a number of years back. I’d have full confidence in the plumber who installed, the tiler not so much so where is a shower most likely to leak from & where should I go first & what are my options?

Where the tile meets the shower tray? The tile sits into those L shaped seals (not sure what they are called )

On the rare occasions that I’ve used silicone, it gets messy, I don’t have the knack so any tips are welcome, it’s a standard shower tray so space is tight

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭anplaya27

So I’ve noticed a slight en-suite shower leak on the ceiling below, installed a number of years back. I’d have full confidence in the plumber who installed, the tiler not so much so where is a shower most likely to leak from & where should I go first & what are my options?

Where the tile meets the shower tray? The tile sits into those L shaped seals (not sure what they are called )

On the rare occasions that I’ve used silicone, it gets messy, I don’t have the knack so any tips are welcome, it’s a standard shower tray so space is tight

Thanks

Check if the grout needs to be redone too. I had a leak in the shower and resealed along shower tray using silicone. Leak was still there. Regrouted the tiles, leak was gone. The lower tiles on the back wall was the culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FrancisSobotka

Had this a few years back & it was grouting issue as well lower tiles near the tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Thanks guys, definitely a possibility, a couple of tiles on the bottom row on a side not facing spray came loose a couple of years ago, got a reputable tiler to sort, I’d trust him so might have a go at the grout myself, is it straight forward for a novice tiler to attempt with the help of YouTube?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The tarp can become loose and leak but it's most likely down to bad tiling. The lower down the wall is more likely. A very common place is between the shower tray and the bottom row of tiles. There should be a classi seal here behind the tiles. If all installed correctly then there should be no need for any silicone inside the shower cubicle at all

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The tarp can become loose and leak but it's most likely down to bad tiling. The lower down the wall is more likely. A very common place is between the shower tray and the bottom row of tiles. There should be a classi seal here behind the tiles. If all installed correctly then there should be no need for any silicone inside the shower cubicle at all

Definitely no classi seal, had to google to see what that was, just a tile trim between bottom row & tray

• Advertisement

Definitely no classi seal, had to google to see what that was, just a tile trim between bottom row & tray

The tile trim is very old fashioned. Yesterday's technology so to speak but does a good job if installed correctly. Most likely not the trim at fault

So what exactly do I need to do? Do I need to remove the existing grout & regrout or just clean & dry & add new grout, is there a product anyone can recommend?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

Pictures would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

Everyone is using classic seals now but I find every one working on the bathroom needs to be on the same page to get a perfect seal achieved. It’s sometimes very tempting for the tiler to cut it where it rides round the corner. Shower size is important to be right before the tray goes in at all. I thought the upstand that you could order on trays a few years back was a great solution. Have not seen that on a tray in meny years though

So I plan to remove the door tomorrow, should be straight forward enough

Will I have to remove bottom row of tiles to get the tray out?

How do you disconnect the waist / trap from the top?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Another pic, apologies upside down

Bottom row of tiles need to be removed. You should see from the staining or lack of if you need to remove more tiles

That waste comes with a tool for tightening it. From my tool bag I'd use & grips & use that to help remove the waste. I wouldn't worry about damaging it as they aren't expensive to replace

2018na wrote: »
    Everyone is using classic seals now but I find every one working on the bathroom needs to be on the same page to get a perfect seal achieved. It’s sometimes very tempting for the tiler to cut it where it rides round the corner. Shower size is important to be right before the tray goes in at all. I thought the upstand that you could order on trays a few years back was a great solution. Have not seen that on a tray in meny years though

Tilers hated the upstands. They had to build the wall out or pear down the back of the tile. The homeowner didn't like the upstand on the front of the shower tray because very hard to keep clean. Not being a tiler myself I thought they were a good solution

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Bottom row of tiles need to be removed. You should see from the staining or lack of if you need to remove more tiles

That waste comes with a tool for tightening it. From my tool bag I'd use & grips & use that to help remove the waste. I wouldn't worry about damaging it as they aren't expensive to replace

Thanks, assume anti clockwise for the waste?

Thanks, assume anti clockwise for the waste?

I had to think about that but yes as far as I remember

So this has turned into a bit of a mare, I’ve removed all the tiles as I found that 20cm of plasterboard above the shower tray has been damaged by water ingress, there was no classic seal on shower tray, the tiles came of very easily

So my plan is as follows, if anything is wrong or I’m missing anything & if any advice to give, feel free, I’m reasonably competent but won’t be doing the tiling

Cut out the damaged ceiling downstairs to allow access to shower tray waste, there are floor tiles up to the shower tray in en-suite

Remove shower tray & completely clean

Remove & replace all damaged plasterboard in en-suite *or should I use Aqua board*? Is it the same thickness as regular plasterboard? I’ll come well above the damaged portion

Buy a tanking kit & apply to the plasterboard & the one block wall I have too?

Re install the shower tray with classic seal, reconnect a new trap to waste from below, verify that the trap & waste is not leaking

Re tile

Repair ceiling downstairs

Thanks

It's doubtful that the tray will come up without breaking the tiles around it.

Advertisement