Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curlew

Options
  • 25-04-2021 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,434 ✭✭✭✭

11 curlew flew over the house and in to the adjoining field yesterday. Would they be winter visitors at this stage or likely to remain in Ireland and possibly breed?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

If they're in a flock at this time of year then they're non-breeding. Also at this time of year they're possibly Whimbrel: https://birdwatchireland.ie/when-is-a-curlew-not-a-curlew-whimbrels-may-be-the-bird-youre-seeing/

Very likely Whimbrel. Large flocks of Curlew are unfortunately rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,434 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Thanks all, definitely Curlew though. I had a long close look at them and the call was unmistakable.

Very good. Worth reporting to irishbirding.com as it's a big group for the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Centrepassage

Most likely whimbrel. Curlew mostly in pairs now. Call is very similar though. Unfortunately curlew population is in very serious decline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Most likely whimbrel. Curlew mostly in pairs now. Call is very similar though. Unfortunately curlew population is in very serious decline.

I would say they will be in a worst position now following the two terrible fires in the North and Killarney don't they ground nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I would say they will be in a worst position now following the two terrible fires in the North and Killarney don't they ground nest.

Always thought they were coastal birds

There has been a large group of Curlews in the Gormanston/Laytown area for the last 2 years and in the Boyne estuary a few miles away. Its brilliant to see them. They are definitely Curlews, very distinctive call, always on the coastline and in fields just behind the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,434 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

These were Curlew and they moved on the following day, so I had time for verification from local birders.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If they're in a flock at this time of year then they're non-breeding. Also at this time of year they're possibly Whimbrel: https://birdwatchireland.ie/when-is-a-curlew-not-a-curlew-whimbrels-may-be-the-bird-youre-seeing/

I was wondering what the curlew looking things that land in flocks near my house were, never even heard the word whimbrel before but there are loads of them around coastal Dublin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement