Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJ's wanted for new online radio station.

Options
  • 27-01-2021 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm currently in the process of starting a new online radio station. The station will operate 7 days a week from 9am to 12 midnight. The station will run a automated schedule for midnight to 9am. Genres of music will be restricted to non-mainstream House, Tech House, Funky House, NuDisco, Techno, Trance and Progressive. We will also broadcast old school set of the above genres.

Any DJ's that are interested will need to donate a minimum of 3 hours of their free time each week for each show. Depending on the interest DJ's may be able to do more shows if they wish however the minimum requirement will remain at 3 hours a week.

Broadcasts will be done by a remote connection so DJ's will need a relatively high speed stable broadband connection. Interested party's will need their own equipment, such as a mixer/controller and decks as well as a laptop or pc to connect with the broadcast server. If you have issues such as setup, we will assist and guide you through the process.

Guest DJ's are welcome, however the programming will prioritize regular scheduled DJ's and their programs before guest DJ's

DJ's will be required to have good mixing skills and sound level management. Microphone skills would be helpful but are not an essential requirement. Producer DJ's are also welcome but genres must be in keeping with the station ethos. DJ's will be required to submit a link to a mix of their preferred genre.

If you are interested you can contact me here or on: https://www.facebook.com/projectxradio

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

So are you looking for prerecorded mixes or will these be live?
    Is there video too or just audio?
    Why 3 hours? Most other pirate/web base radio I've done is 2 hour shows/sets. Is all that 3 hours mixing or do you want some of that time spent on promo and other maintenance type stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Brabazone

The plan for the moment is to run live from 9 in the morning to 12 at night, however that could change depending on how many DJ's come on board. At the moment I have 9 capable DJ's, maybe 10, just waiting to hear back. I have had interest form more than that but to be honest, they were either not quite up to standard or too commercial. The reason I mentioned 3 hours is because it is proving difficulty to get the right DJ's so having a DJ do 3 hours helps fill the time. I wanted shows to run in such a way that if a listener tunes in any part of the day from 9 in the morning to 12 midnight they would have a good listening experience without gaps in the broadcast. That's not to say I couldn't change the format to 2 hour shows if I can get the DJ numbers up. I think the idea of doing recorded set is a good one and it is something I am looking at but before I go down that road I just want to see how many DJ's I can get that would be able to go live. I looked at video but decided against it due to the cost of server rental. I am footing the cost of all this myself so I'm working to a budget. I will also be purchasing a streaming broadcast licence and have been in contact with them but still waiting a response. Probably haven't got back to me because of Covid restrictions and working remotely. The website is under construction and the .com domain has been purchased. The phone app is also be constructed in parallel with the website and should be ready for when we go live in 2-3 weeks. After that the only thing left is the promotion of the station. I am hoping the DJ's will jump onboard to help out with this.

Have you thought of getting foreign DJs? I'm in Canada so I'm 6 hours behind. Meaning if I start at 6pm my time it's midnight there. I work full time so I couldn't do early during the week and my weekends are pretty tied up and vary a lot.
    I'd be on for a midnight to 2am slot Irish time though, midweek.

Sounds good, I was hoping to have something from midnight to 2 to entertain listeners that are up late having a few late drinks. A 2 hour slot for that would be perfect. I have posted on a good few of the DJ groups on Facebook looking for DJ's and have got some feedback from outside of Ireland but not as much as I would have liked. As I said some just not quite what I would consider up to standard to be playing on radio, even if it is internet radio. Would love to hear a mix of yours so we can put you in for midweek midnight slot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

go 24 hours , don't faff around.

people are from all over the world now, 24 hours is an essential.

Great idea btw.

Would love to go 24 live but it's so difficult to find good DJ's, far more difficult than I ever thought it would be. I am gauging DJ's standard against myself so the standard is not overly high. Just looking for DJ's that can play the right tracks and do some clean simple mixing is all that's needed but maybe that's all a good DJ is and they are not as common as I first thought. Another problem I have is the lack of House DJ's out there, most of the DJ's that have contacted me seem to play anything except House.

any room for a mash up show?, not really the right genre I am guessing. :cool:

Check out some of my mixes / mash ups see what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/jadmix

https://hearthis.at/jadmix/

and some videos as well

https://vimeo.com/search?q=jadmix

I would be more interested in submitting a mix, maybe an hour a week to fill a void, even in the twilight hours. I know that's not exactly what you are looking for but if you decide to expand (genres) let me know.

Hey guys the number of DJ's contacting me through FaceBook is huge at the moment so I wanted to let you know if you are interested get in contact over the next few days. We are currently at around 25 DJ's with number growing by the hour as people from around the world submit their mixes. I want to get a few more Irish DJ's involved so contact me ASAP if you are interested. At the moment we have DJ's from Ireland, England, Scotland, Demark, Netherlands, USA, Canada, South Africa, Dubai, Italy and India.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Post a link when you get up and running and good luck, I can't wait to listen in.

• Advertisement

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Post a link when you get up and running and good luck, I can't wait to listen in.

Thanks a million, will certainly send on the link when all's ready. If you want to submit a mix of your own you are more than welcome to apply for a slot.

any room for a mash up show?, not really the right genre I am guessing. :cool:

Check out some of my mixes / mash ups see what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/jadmix

https://hearthis.at/jadmix/

and some videos as well

https://vimeo.com/search?q=jadmix

I would be more interested in submitting a mix, maybe an hour a week to fill a void, even in the twilight hours. I know that's not exactly what you are looking for but if you decide to expand (genres) let me know.

Will contact you in a few days, just have a huge backlog of DJ's I need to get through first.

Advertisement