Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance to van insurance

Options
  • 29-04-2021 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

My car insurance is up for renewal in two weeks. I want to replace the car with a Ford Transit van. Could I get van insurance quotes for a generic Ford Transit van and buy the insurance when I have seen and bought the new van? I would need insurance to drive it home.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Thread moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Could I get van insurance quotes for a generic Ford Transit van and buy the insurance when I have seen and bought the new van? I would need insurance to drive it home.

Same as you would when buying a car, yes. Except with a van you wouldn't have the option of asking friend to drive it (under his 'driving other cars' cover). Because car policies don't cover you to drive a van.

When you're getting quotes, you'll get a reference number with each one, make a note of the reference for the quote you want to buy, then phone them when you buy the van, quote the reference number, pay over the phone and you'll be covered to drive the van home.

Ask them to tell you what time will be stated on the cert, it may be their policy to not start it until 10 or 15 minutes later (to avoid retrospective cover) so be sure you know that cover has commenced before you go driving home.

Advertisement