Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hikvision AX PRO vs Ajax Alarm System

Options
  • 02-01-2021 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi everyone,

I am currently in the market for an alarm system for a new build. It is pre-wired for an alarm but I would prefer to go the wireless route and DIY my own install. Have been reading a lot of reviews on here for the Ajax system and it has fairly positive reviews overall. However I was just about to purchase the system on https://best-alarm-system-webshop.eu/, when I came across the Hikvision AX PRO system. It looks like a good system overall and generally cheaper than the Ajax system. Has anyone any experience with it? I like the fact that it has good integration with a security camera system directly through the app but I am put off by some appalling reviews on Hikvision online. What are peoples thoughts with Hikvision in general, are they really that bad?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Hikvision are one of the best security camera manufacturers out there. However, their security systems are brand new at this level so experience of them will be thin on the ground.

There's a lot of us with ajax systems and happy with our setups. Some of us have even integrated our hikvision cameras with the ajax system.
    By all means, take the plunge on the hikvision and report back here in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 scut_07

Hi machiavellianme, thanks for the response. On the ajax system how deeply are external security cameras integrated? Does the app only allow you to view the camera feed and nothing more? One of the nice features I seen with the Hikvision system is the ability to trigger record on an external camera when a sensor is triggered. Being such a new system I am a bit hesitant to drop 1000eur on a system with little to no reviews online. It's a bit of a gamble, however I may just go for it at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hikvision are one of the best security camera manufacturers out there. However, their security systems are brand new at this level so experience of them will be thin on the ground.

There's a lot of us with ajax systems and happy with our setups. Some of us have even integrated our hikvision cameras with the ajax system.
    By all means, take the plunge on the hikvision and report back here in a year or two.

That said they do own Pyronix who would be longer doing alarm systems than AJAX :)

altor wrote: »
    That said they do own Pyronix who would be longer doing alarm systems than AJAX :)

Yes I have decided to purchase the Ax Pro system, just need to decide on my configuration. Will post back here when I have it setup and report on the quality of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lfc1234

Was looking at the AX PRO system best alarm have setup a separate website.
    hikvision-alarm-system.eu

• Advertisement

lfc1234 wrote: »
    Was looking at the AX PRO system best alarm have setup a separate website.
    hikvision-alarm-system.eu

Ya I just went on there myself, there pricing looks good, €349 for a starter kit on there vs €580 on amazon.de, quite a big difference.

scut_07 wrote: »
    Yes I have decided to purchase the Ax Pro system, just need to decide on my configuration. Will post back here when I have it setup and report on the quality of it all.

Looks like a nice bit of kit

Best alarm said more products for the system will be released in January.
    I will give it a few weeks before I order and see if anything new is added.

Best alarm said more products for the system will be released in January.
    I will give it a few weeks before I order and see if anything new is added.

Ok good to know, any idea what products are going to be added?

scut_07 wrote: »
    Ok good to know, any idea what products are going to be added?

I was interested in a contact like the AJAX DoorProtect Plus they said it will be out in January.
    Forget what its called have them will my old phonewatch system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭caddy16

Hey folks - anyone go ahead with AX pro, any feedback?

caddy16 wrote: »
    Hey folks - anyone go ahead with AX pro, any feedback?

Hi caddy,

Yes I went ahead and bought it, good system. It's my first time owning one so I can't compare it to anything else. I went for the Hub Low, which is more than enough for most residential houses I would imagine. Cost me about 500eur for the lot but I want to add more items, still haven't got the external sounder. The app is a bit fiddly and takes a while to get used, plus documentation online is scarce, but after playing around with awhile you'll get the hang of it.

Overall I would definitely recommend it if your in the market for an alarm, any other questions just let me know.

Hi Caddy I purchased the system also went for the Medium Hub. I find the Pir-Cam Dectors great.
    I purchased the Hub from Best-Alarm but find Megateh.eu very good to deal with and prices are better.
    As Scut07 said there’s not much info online a bit of trial and error but you will get hang of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭caddy16

Thanks for the feedback folks. I'm getting Hikvision cameras installed whenever lockdown allows. I was going to go with the Ajax alarm but I like the idea of having the same brand for both and like the components on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Does anyone know if the cable running to the bell box can take a 12v 1.5a power supply to the external sounder? I assume that’s the purpose of it but just want to make sure cause replacing the battery where it’s wired to is a bit of a pain.

The house is pre wired but I was just going to connect a power supply to the end where the cables terminate, if that makes sense

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the cable running to the bell box can take a 12v 1.5a power supply to the external sounder? I assume that’s the purpose of it but just want to make sure cause replacing the battery where it’s wired to is a bit of a pain.

The house is pre wired but I was just going to connect a power supply to the end where the cables terminate, if that makes sense

A boxed housing 2 Amp would be more than enough.
    Reason to used a boxed is you can put a back up battery in this for when mains is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bobmarray16

Looks like a nice bit of kit

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kigera

@Ifc1234 I see the medium hub has a card reader built into the hub unit to allow tag readers arm/disarm system. I was hoping to install the hub in an out of reach area and just have the Keypad in my hallway. Do you know if the keypad can read the tags or is it only the main hub unit that can read the tags?

Kigera wrote: »
    @Ifc1234 I see the medium hub has a card reader built into the hub unit to allow tag readers arm/disarm system. I was hoping to install the hub in an out of reach area and just have the Keypad in my hallway. Do you know if the keypad can read the tags or is it only the main hub unit that can read the tags?

Hi Kigera the Key Pad doesn’t read the tags you would have to get a
    DS-PT1-WE Wireless tag reader for the hallway it works with the low and mid-level hub.

Hi Kigera the Key Pad doesn’t read the tags you would have to get a
    DS-PT1-WE Wireless tag reader for the hallway it works with the low and mid-level hub.

Thanks for that info, very helpful. pity the keypad doesnt have a read tags, would make the system in the hallway alot neater.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that info, very helpful. pity the keypad doesnt have a read tags, would make the system in the hallway alot neater.

Kigera you could use the DS-PKF1-WE Wireless Keyfob instead of the tag.

Kigera you could use the DS-PKF1-WE Wireless Keyfob instead of the tag.

Thanks for the thought, but as far as i can see it doesn't have a loop/hole in it to put a key ring on it. Would just be very handy to have a tag/fob to go with the front door key.

If anybody has the DS-PKF1-WE Wireless Keyfob that can confirm if it can be put on a key ring, that would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Thanks for the thought, but as far as i can see it doesn't have a loop/hole in it to put a key ring on it. Would just be very handy to have a tag/fob to go with the front door key.

If anybody has the DS-PKF1-WE Wireless Keyfob that can confirm if it can be put on a key ring, that would be great

Whilst convenience is wonderful and that you have your front door key and alarm fob on the one keyring.

Have you considered what could happen if your house key set got into the wrong hands?

That is the basic reason why us professionals always prefer and specify keypads as opposed to fobs.

Please bare in mind convenience and security are rarely bedfellows.

I have the keyfob, only got it last week, yes it does go on a keyring, although the hole in it is very small so it doesn't go on a standard keyring holder. They do provide a thin keyring with it though so you can attach it to your keys. It works well and I am happy with it. I use it in conjunction with the keypad.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

kub wrote: »
    Please bare in mind convenience and security are rarely bedfellows.

Very true, though sometimes you get lucky and hit on an idea that satisfies both. TouchID is an example of that and I'm surprised no one has built TouchID type tech into keypads.

Of course an app to control the alarm hidden behind touch/faceid on your phone gives you that, which is what I use now, don't use the keypad anymore other then as a backup if the internet goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭burdburd

Does the HIK tag reader work with Smartphone NFC i.e. tap the phone to disarm ?

I believe the AJAX system supports this.

Thx

Advertisement