Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POTW 565: 13/3/21 - 19/3/21

Options
  • 16-04-2021 10:30am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭

THIS WEEK'S POTW GOES TO:

Myksyk
    51028140108_f1269e8fee_b.jpg

HONOURABLE MENTIONS

keps
    51039529383_6ed3529ff4_c.jpg

Adrian.Sadlier
    v2?sig=903c45addd159dd258be00a2eecea0575ed296e86f5359b8b9718b5ce956b272

gzoladz
    51017716808_c6802f5e1f_b.jpg

iLikeWaffles
    547216.jpg
    CONGRATULATIONS ME ...
    WELL DONE HMs

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Thanks for the likes guys ... Bit of info on the shot ... In a continuing effort to make me feel old, my daughter insisted on turning into a teenager this year. I saw a version of this online and liked the concept. Although I have a ton of shots of her I struggled getting a full length shot for each year. Some were candid shots, some shot in studio set ups at various points. When I had it finished, Mum and her had various criticisms ... "I don't like that shot, put in the cat, I prefer x, y and z" ... so various modifications were made until they were happy.

Main work in this composite is in making good selections for the cutouts, particularly around hair. Black and white ruled out having to match colours, matching relative brightness wasn't much trouble. Had to find shots where light was generally coming from the same angle so I could 'sell the fake'. Making decent contact shadows on the ground was important and creating the main shadows correctly was important too. Overall, happy with the result and it came out well printed and framed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Thanks for the info. When I saw the photo on the main thread, I was thinking that you'd set yourself an "annual portait" challenge all those years ago.
    Myksyk wrote: »
    Making decent contact shadows on the ground was important and creating the main shadows correctly was important too.

So are all those "forward facing" shadows created within the software, or were you able to use original image shadows as a template for each one?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

The shadows are created in Photoshop ... there are many ways to do that but here I simply copied each figure layer, filled with black, entered free transform, chose 'distort' and pulled it down into position, warped to fit, blurred and changed opacity to taste (that sounds more complicated than it is).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Super idea for a long term project.

Advertisement