Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Guitar for Beginner

Options
  • 10-01-2021 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

Hello

Looking for recommendations on type and cost of guitar for a beginner.

Should I buy acoustic - what size should it be - and how much should it cost?

All responses welcome.

Happy Monday :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Same here. A 13 year old. A 3/4 size acoustic maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

full size. yamaha f310. best value out there..approx 125 euro

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Age is important, but more important is what does the beginner want to play? Are they interested in playing acoustic music, or something like Slipknot? Give a 15 year old metal head an acoustic, and it'll probably sit in the corner of the room after 2 goes.

If you're going electric, Yahama Pacifica has been the go to for years. Get a decent headphone amp, and headphones, and you'll have quiet practice in the house. If you want volume, look at the Katana or Kube series amps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

feylya wrote: »
    Age is important, but more important is what does the beginner want to play? Are they interested in playing acoustic music, or something like Slipknot? Give a 15 year old metal head an acoustic, and it'll probably sit in the corner of the room after 2 goes.

If you're going electric, Yahama Pacifica has been the go to for years. Get a decent headphone amp, and headphones, and you'll have quiet practice in the house. If you want volume, look at the Katana or Kube series amps.

For me in my 40s.......acoustic is what I would like to play stuff like Pink Floyd, Dire Straits and so on.

I did see the starter pack...should I get one of those and not just the guitar alone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

For me in my 40s.......acoustic is what I would like to play stuff like Pink Floyd, Dire Straits and so on.

I did see the starter pack...should I get one of those and not just the guitar alone?

Which starter pack? You generally do better being more selective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

happy monday spend a few quid and you will get a nice guitar.
    This will make you want to play it rather than something you have to fight.

Everyone's budget is different but if you posted a figure i'm sure you would get decent suggestions on here.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'd definitely spend as much as you can afford, especially on an acoustic. Second hand means you'll get a better instrument for your money, and you can pass it on if you choose not to continue for similar to what you've paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sunnib

You'd need a bit of experience to know what to look out for in second hand offers, still you could be very lucky. Also charity shops sell
    quite good guitars by chance.
    Starting with a spanish guitar/Nylon strings would be easier on your fingers until u have a bit of hard skin from practising. Otherwise the pain could put u off..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

My daughter (almost 11, 5 foot 2") is looking for a guitar, somebody recommended fullsize Yamaha f310, somebody else Spanish guitar with nylon strings. She plays violin and piano already so would have an ear for music.

Any recommendations besides above or any thought son nylon strings? My daughter researched online and wants the Fender CD-60 NA V3
    Thanks,
    Pa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

https://youtu.be/8jNKXvfI8Mo

I think I'd they are playing other instruments I'd spend a bit more and get sold top Yamaha myself.Though Fenders are very similar.

Steel string and Nylon are different instruments. I would say if the want to play popular music the steel string. If you want to do finger pick, like classical or do lessons then the Nylon.

I spent a bit more and bought a classical Ortega. Very happy with it. But I also play a bit so will probably buy a steel string as well eventually. We've also got electric guitars.

If she really had her heart set on the Fender though, I would get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Hi there, looking to move up from the old ukulele and I've narrowed it down to the Yamaha APX 600 or the Ibanez TCM 50 VBS acoustic guitars. I've a budget of €250 to €280 approx and have never played guitar before although I've been tinkling around on the uke for the past year and have caught the bug!

Would I be grand with either of the above or is there something else out there for the above budget. I can't see myself gigging in pubs or clubs so it will be primarily for personal/family use.
    Thanks.

Advertisement