Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save the Date

Options
  • 14-06-2019 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭

Roughly how far ahead do folk send “save the date” cards? Like, how far ahead is too far ahead. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

splinter65 wrote: »
    Roughly how far ahead do folk send “save the date” cards? Like, how far ahead is too far ahead. Thanks.

I have only ever gotten one and it arrived about 5 months ago for August 2021, which feels absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭banie01

splinter65 wrote: »

We sent ours out @9 months before hand if memory serves.
    Just long enough for people to get pregnant to avoid coming ;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I have only ever gotten one and it arrived about 5 months ago for August 2021, which feels absolutely ridiculous.

We got one today for Aug 2020.
    They’re a pair of harmless twits. They’re currently sofa surfing (neither can hold down a job, she’s never actually had a job) having been expelled and cut off financially (with kindness) by both sets of parents!
    This seems to be an act of defiance more so then anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Fridge magnets with the date are a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think save the date is a trap for those who may not wish to attend, and cannot give the excuse of a prior engagement four or five months down the road when the invites go out.

I do not like them personally. But that's just me and maybe my age, a little older and grumpier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

We have gotten one for a foreign wedding about a year or so in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I think save the date is a trap for those who may not wish to attend, and cannot give the excuse of a prior engagement four or five months down the road when the invites go out.

Yeah, it kind of is! I don't particularly want to go to this wedding. It is a two day affair, a couple of hours drive away and I will have a 4 year old and two year old at the time who I will need to organise childcare for (but this is a family wedding). And free time I can manage away from the kiddies, I will want to spend somewhere of my choosing. Better start thinking of my excuses now!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Yeah, it kind of is! I don't particularly want to go to this wedding. It is a two day affair, a couple of hours drive away and I will have a 4 year old and two year old at the time who I will need to organise childcare for (but this is a family wedding). And free time I can manage away from the kiddies, I will want to spend somewhere of my choosing. Better start thinking of my excuses now!

I understand your thinking. No one wants to upset the wedding day for anyone really, but everyone has a choice too. It is not a summons to appear before the beak!

There is a lot of pressure and expectation put on people to attend, without thinking of the logistics of attending for many people like yourself. I feel for you.

One thing I have learned is.... if you cannot attend after receiving invite, let them know within a day or two. There is always a reserve list!

Suit yourself love. The wedding will go on with or without you. With due respect to the couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

We sent ours in July 2018 for our wedding which was at the start of this month. We wanted to avoid being too early but as the wedding was on the Saturday of the June bank holiday we wanted to give people plenty of notice. More than half of our guests had their accommodation booked by the end of August.

Advertisement