Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating concrete floor in garage

Options
  • 18-06-2019 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Have a concrete floor, rough enough but level, in garage. It's only used for storage, no car and no car in future.

Anyone any recommendations on how to treat / seal / paint the floor? What's the best job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I've used a PVA diluted in water mix before as a seal for a crappy dusty concrete floor in a shed and it worked fine. Can't remember the ratio (it was written on the container though)

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Have a concrete floor, rough enough but level, in garage. It's only used for storage, no car and no car in future.

Anyone any recommendations on how to treat / seal / paint the floor? What's the best job?

If you’re painting the floor, buy floor paint in a proper paint shop and ask them to mix silica sand into it. A wet painted floor can be very slippy. The sand gives great traction. I have it on my own garage floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thompson's water seal worked great on my shed floor. It's actually meant for walls but works a treat in sealing in all the dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    I've used a PVA diluted in water mix before as a seal for a crappy dusty concrete floor in a shed and it worked fine. Can't remember the ratio (it was written on the container though)
    This exactly, then paint with floor-specific paint afterwards for a nicer finish if required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »

PVA is water based so unless you cover it with something else (e.g. floor paint!) as it gets wet its just going to get messy again.

OP They make hard wearing, non slip, floor paint, use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

It doesn’t matter either you are going to park a vehicle in your garage or not, but it should look nice with an elegant floor. There are several options you can try. I am going to sharing here.

Titles: Various kinds of titles are available in the market, but I like the interlocking ones the most due to their ability to hide cracks in concrete floors. Here https://carlifeguru.com/best-garage-floor-tiles you can also visit various kind of garage floor tiles.

b5050640-e13b-43ee-bb86-09d07810b546.jpg

Roll-Out Vinyl Flooring: If you are looking for quick installation, then roll-out flooring of vinyl is the best. You only need to cut off excess material from the sides. You can find a good variety here.

cb79c5806a31cb664faeb1daf93ba41f.jpg

Paint: I also like the paint option for garage flooring. However, better to fix all cracks before starting painting. Yes, you can perform this task without expert help.

s-l1000.jpg

Epoxy: Though you are not going to park your car there but Epoxy (a kind of paint) could again a good option for garage flooring.

epoxy-garage-floor-coating.jpg

Concrete Sealer: If you have a limited budget, then for sure, you should go with concrete sealer. I would recommend you a solvent-based sealer for a shiny look and better protection.

146a6ebf2d7a833a3af75274491ff603.jpg

Concrete Stain: Again, it is a cheap flooring option, and I would suggest you go with natural stone looking colour.

acid-stained-garage-floor.jpg?fit=2560%2C1920&ssl=1

On the other hand, I am not in the favour of the use of carpets.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I levelled mine with leveling compound with SRT mixed into in. Then i painted it and added that thermal compound into the paint, probable probably useless but added some grip.

Probably not the best job but its level and I sealed it.

That roll out vinal above looks the business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Jotun conseal

Advertisement