Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edenbrook Citywest

Options
  • 28-05-2019 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Hoping there's some of you on here who have put a deposit down on a house in this new development.

My wife and I just reserved one on Sunday. It was a bit rushed to be honest, but hopefully it turns out ok.

Anyone else on here take a gamble or can share any info or opinions on this develpment would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Also just heard about the massive apartment blocks, hopefully this won't affect the traffic too much...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Josh281001

Congratulations you booked the house. I also went there today and houses looks nice.

Since, I am not from that place so I don’t know if there is any anti social behaviour / activities. Some people also tell me jobstown is also near by which is strictly to avoid.

There is also availability in citywest village. Just wondering according to your opinion which one is better?

Please suggest.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I really don't know much about the area at all.

They look great in fairness, and I've heard Cairn homes are well built. I know there are meant to be a few 5 or 6 floor apartment buildings to be built right opposite the show houses. I hope this doesn't affect the traffic too much...

Are the ones in Citywest villiage similarly priced?
    I do like the decent sized front gardens with parking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

I grew up not far from there. You are very near the Lidl that was destroyed during the snow so within a few minutes walk of a very very bad area of Tallaght. Alot of anti social behaviour , I think you should spend some time up in the area in citywest shopping centre and around the area in the evening time to see how you feel about it.

dar_cool wrote: »
    I grew up not far from there. You are very near the Lidl that was destroyed during the snow so within a few minutes walk of a very very bad area of Tallaght. Alot of anti social behaviour , I think you should spend some time up in the area in citywest shopping centre and around the area in the evening time to see how you feel about it.

Thanks Dar, you reckon it's still that bad around the place? It's a gamble really anywhere you buy in Dublin that's half affordable. From an outsider it doesn't seem that bad... But then again the whole place could be like a warzone in no time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Yeah I get where your coming from alright, I have some family that live in the area and I visit from time to time. I feel uneasy around that area when I'm there. I'm not trying to put you off. Just go spend some time there on weekend evenings etc. Go to Eddie Rockets, go for walk and see how you feel about it. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do

• Registered Users Posts: 2 matt.hicklow

Generally Citywest is fine area at this moment. I work in the area of Citywest Business Campus and I didn’t experience any particular issues during last 2-3 years.

As it was already mentioned there are some not really nice areas close to Citywest - Brookfield and Fettercairn. I didn’t hear anything criminal about these areas for the last years (there were couple of issues) but it’s better to avoid them. Sometimes you can hear feedback like “avoid Tallaght, it’s dangerous” - it’s b*llsh*t from my point of view. Tallaght is huge area and people refer to its reputation from 90s. The next point is just to check news about murders in Dublin for the last years and I’m pretty sure that Tallaght is not #1 in the list (most probably it will be Blanchardstown and surroundings).

Currently there are multiple developments in the area of Citywest:
    - Citywest Village - it was the first major residential development in the last years in Citywest;
    - Ardsolus - it’s small development and located in the end of Citywest Business Campus, next to SAP office;
    - Cuil Duin - it’s located close to Saggart;
    - Edenbrook itself (developed by Cairn) and it’s close to all new developments (Cuil Duin and Citywest Village);
    - There are planned apartments in the front of Edenbrook, separate development (also by Cairn);
    - There is one more development site in the front of Lidl and close to Magna Business Park.

So I’m sure that all these developments will impact infrastructure and traffic in Citywest in the future. In terms of public transport you will have Luas + 2 or 3 bus routes (77 to city center and 175 to Dun Laoghaire through Tallaght). Buses will be more or less empty because Citywest is beginning of their routes.

Edenbrook is located pretty far from bad areas (mentioned above); Citywest Village may experience more issues because it’s next to these areas. But anyway you will meet people from these areas when do shopping in Citywest Shopping Center or Lidl.

Edenbrook and Citywest Village have more or less the same prices (if we compare the latest phase of Citywest Village). Citywest Village has extra bonus: it belongs to Citywest Business Campus and as a result they have security patrols. Citywest Business Campus is also responsible for landscape design (in the front of houses) and its further support.

In the end you can also take a look separate thread on this forum about Citywest Village: there are a lot of pages with discussions about the area, potential troubles and etc.

Fair play Matt, I really appreciate your feedback on the area.

Thanks Matt for the detailed feedback.

I spent almost 4 hours in that area, my personal opinion
    1) Citywest Village definitely have security patrolling which has an edge but there is nothing left in this phase and next phase is further building towards dodgy areas. And current phase of citywest village is right adjacent to Lidl which concerns me.
    2) What I like about Edenbrook is its one side is backed by Cuilduin, second side withcircle and some companies and the third one is THE Quarter project which makes It a non vulnerable to easy theft or burglary.
    3) My main concern with Edenbrook is 292 apartments (6 floor each) businessworld.ie/news-from-ireland/282-apartments-on-sale-at-Citywest-Quarter-guiding-price-90m-572195.html and it will have social housing which might increase the anti social activity.
    4) I have heard that some primary schools are going to merged into 1 and secondary school is also being built and will be ready by 2020.
    5) Citywest village doesn’t come with solar panels, kitchen appliances, however Edenbrook comes with both of them and cairn quality is very good.
    6) I think Edenbrook will also have access to Cuil Duin which make it easy to use SAGGART Lucas stop incase one want to completely avoid fortunestown Luas stop.

With all this I am still bit concerned about this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 der_2019

Hi All,

We're looking to move to this area and have deposit paid. Bit concern that Cairn are selling 300 apartments to Urbeo (reporting in the Irish Times, google it I'm not allowed post the link) who:

"Urbeo differs from its competitors in the private rented sector in that it specifically states its intention is to deliver “an element of social and supported tenancies”"

Has anyone heard anything about them?

• Advertisement

Hi dear_2019 I will probably put a deposit today.

Personally I am not much worried with the apartments because urbeo investor see a potential in this location and that will appreciate the overall prices ofthe area. And it’s just not apartments, there will be 124 houses and 44 duplexes, crèche, some shops and communal space.

And all the apartments will be for tenancies only.
    What other folks think and please share your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

Josh281001 wrote: »
    6) I think Edenbrook will also have access to Cuil Duin which make it easy to use SAGGART Lucas stop incase one want to completely avoid fortunestown Luas stop.

What's wrong with the Fortunestown stop?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 matt.hicklow

Josh281001 wrote: »
    Thanks Matt for the detailed feedback.

I spent almost 4 hours in that area, my personal opinion
    1) Citywest Village definitely have security patrolling which has an edge but there is nothing left in this phase and next phase is further building towards dodgy areas. And current phase of citywest village is right adjacent to Lidl which concerns me.
    2) What I like about Edenbrook is its one side is backed by Cuilduin, second side withcircle and some companies and the third one is THE Quarter project which makes It a non vulnerable to easy theft or burglary.
    3) My main concern with Edenbrook is 292 apartments (6 floor each) businessworld.ie/news-from-ireland/282-apartments-on-sale-at-Citywest-Quarter-guiding-price-90m-572195.html and it will have social housing which might increase the anti social activity.
    4) I have heard that some primary schools are going to merged into 1 and secondary school is also being built and will be ready by 2020.
    5) Citywest village doesn’t come with solar panels, kitchen appliances, however Edenbrook comes with both of them and cairn quality is very good.

Well... I agree with you and both Cuil Duin and Edenbrook have better location in this area :) I also think that connection between Cuil Duin and Edenbrook is beneficial and it’s better to catch Luas at Saggart or Citywest.

Good point about solar panels and kitchen appliances, I didn’t know about that.

I would recommend to move forward with Edenbrook if you like houses and area. The prices grow in this area last 2 years. Mainly it’s because of all these new developments and transport link. As far as I remember the prices of very first phase of Citywest Village started from 300-310k. The last phase started from 350k. So Cairn started with the same price range (350k and up). I believe that next (and last) phase of Citywest Village will start from 370k: other developers in this area will also follow them...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Make note that the solar panels are only set up to run your fridge. They are basic. They meet the building regulations which require a renewable energy component on a new build but these panels won't hear your water or anything else, they basically just run the fridge.

Finally after much discussion and due diligence, I have booked one unit in Edenbrook this Saturday.
    Just wondering if someone can please tell me what are the good primary schools in that area. Heard some parents are also sending their kids to rathcoole.

My kid will be going to Senior Infants this year.

Please share your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Mike3549

'Citywest educate together' and 'citywest and saggart community national school' are in heritage village building opp saggart luas stop. Thats a temporary buiding and both schools will move to new buildings in september opp cuil duin and tlc nursing homes. Actually a lot people from rathcoole bring their kids to those schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Qrt wrote: »
    What's wrong with the Fortunestown stop?:confused:

I'm guessing the chance of getting a seat once all these developments are built - Saggart stop is the first stop, so no issues getting a seat. The Luas's after 8am are getting busier in the mornings from Citywest.

Hi All,

If anyone have booked a house in Edenbrook then they can join a facebook group facebook.com/groups/367961297171862/ (prefix www. To the url as boards.ie is not letting me share the url)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 arbrahul

Thanks Josh for sharing the FB group, I created the page when I put down the deposit. I would encourage you to join the group.

I did some research before I paid the deposit and came to these conclusions:

1. Not the best area, but due to affordability, transport links, business park, there are not too many other options.

North: Not good for my commute.
    Lucan: Not very good my commute + weaker transport links compared to Citywest.
    Naas: Better area probably, self contained, but worst for daily Commute to South Dublin.
    South: Better area, but I can only buy a 20+ years falling apart properly within my budget.

2. Edenbrook is built by cairn and has the solar panels, electric car charger, shower doors, attic ladder, Demand controller ventilation included as opposed to Citywest village
    3. Citywest village has security, however the latest houses they released were 10 grand more expensive than Edenbrook and were closer to the Lidl.
    4. Both Edenbrook (mostly houses) and the City Quarter or something like that (which has all the 6 apartment blocks) are part of the same planning permission and the apartment blocks are already sold to the investor group.
    5. The developers of Citywest village is also building more houses opposite to the Circle K.
    6. Opposite to Saggart Luas, there is another big development launching as well very shortly named Parklands.
    7. A new primary school is coming up in between Cuil Duin and the ParkLands

Still not 100% sure about my decision, but if we can set up a very good community, I think we can resist any anti social behavior. Share your thoughts pls.

• Advertisement

dar_cool wrote: »

Mac Uilliam is a fair dump tbh. SDCC built it afaik and repeated the same mistake of putting people of the lowest socio-economic brackets in the same places. Ghettoised poverty etc etc, it's failed everywhere in the world. That said, the linked story with the incident on the Belgard Road is a load of s*** and no idea why they've decided to link it to Mac Uilliam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nuria Delgado

Hi all,
    I am plannig to buy at Edenbrook, but Im not sure about a good secondary school for my son around the area, can you recommend me one????
    Thanks Nuria

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SharonL1234

Hi can anybody shed any light on the apartments that are going to be built behind Edenbrook?

I think the apartments are meant to be across the road from the show houses, and are meant to be 3 or 5 story high. Can't really remember. There's also duplex social housing in the estate on Edenbrook Green

Bandito909 wrote: »
    I think the apartments are meant to be across the road from the show houses, and are meant to be 3 or 5 story high. Can't really remember. There's also duplex social housing in the estate on Edenbrook Green

If you're on about the Cairn development, I'm fairly sure they're going to be 5/6 storeys high but they're right beside the Fortunestown stop. There'll be a mix of duplexes and houses as a buffer afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

I live nearby and often drop by the Lidl or shopping centre. I hope anybody purchasing one of the properties has spent a significant amount of time in the area, especially in the evenings etc. You need to know what you're getting into here. Citywest after dark is the only place in Dublin that I would feel unsafe.

Go to Lidl in the evenings and then the shopping centre near dark. At least then you'll be buying with your eyes open.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭conormc1984

Reversal wrote: »
    Citywest after dark is the only place in Dublin that I would feel unsafe

You must of have been to many places in Dublin so. Laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

You must of have been to many places in Dublin so. Laughable.

After living here for 6 years I think I've been to plenty. Without a doubt, citywest stands out as a an area where the local population look sure to make kip at the moment. It looks all shiny with new houses and recent development, for now. Up as far to the shopping centre is overrun by feril teen-agers nightly, this will only continue to affect the newer estates. Citywest of the 2020s will be how tallaght was 20-30 years ago

Reversal wrote: »
    After living here for 6 years I think I've been to plenty. Without a doubt, citywest stands out as a an area where the local population look sure to make kip at the moment. It looks all shiny with new houses and recent development, for now. Up as far to the shopping centre is overrun by feril teen-agers nightly, this will only continue to affect the newer estates. Citywest of the 2020s will be how tallaght was 20-30 years ago

I’ll never forget when citywest park opened and it became a session spot for all the teenagers of the red line. I was in the Citywest Shopping Centre car park and there were easily a few hundred heading up to the park. It was like North Strand/Drumcondra on a match day. I’m looking forward to when the area is built up, especially when the four corners of the N82/Fortunestown Lane junction are built up on. I think it’ll create a more polished feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 SharonL1234

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Do you mean 10 percent of the duplexes will be social housing? Or that all 6 duplexes them is allocated to social?

Advertisement