Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beko as a brand - reliable?

• 17-06-2019 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi there,

In the process of kitting out a new house and we're picking out some appliances.

We currently have a Beko washing machine in our rented house and it's given us no trouble over the last 4 years. I remember hearing someone say before that Beko are one of the most reliable brands of washing machine, but does that go for other appliances too? i.e. we have other Beko goods picked out - integrated dishwasher, microwave, hob and oven. All mid-range prices and reasonable enough.

Any thoughts on Beko as a brand in general, or what brands to 100% avoid?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Qrt

Hi there,

In the process of kitting out a new house and we're picking out some appliances.

We currently have a Beko washing machine in our rented house and it's given us no trouble over the last 4 years. I remember hearing someone say before that Beko are one of the most reliable brands of washing machine, but does that go for other appliances too? i.e. we have other Beko goods picked out - integrated dishwasher, microwave, hob and oven. All mid-range prices and reasonable enough.

Thanks.

We had a Beko washing machine for (10 or so) years and it was very good, but my grandmother has a Beko oven and it’s diabolical. That said, she’s the type of person to get the cheapest of the cheap anyway, so maybe it’s more to do with the cheapness rather than the actual brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭OctoberMammy

Qrt wrote: »
    We had a Beko washing machine for (10 or so) years and it was very good, but my grandmother has a Beko oven and it’s diabolical. That said, she’s the type of person to get the cheapest of the cheap anyway, so maybe it’s more to do with the cheapness rather than the actual brand.

Thanks - so in general, is there a mid-range brand that you'd recommended, or does it really depend on the appliance? We were warned off Zanussi for ovens/hobs and washing machines. I think our current dishwasher is Whirlpool and it's been grand. Not too fussed about everything matching, so if we have to mix and match, it's fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 GraGaia

Hi, I buy most of my electric appliances from a local supplier. When my whirlpool dishwasher broke down, the lady I dealt with recommended a Beko dishwasher above other more expensive, premium branded ones. I went with her advice, and four years later have no issues with it. It works perfectly. I cannot vouch for other appliances but would recommend their dishwashers. Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have a Beko American style fridge with water dispenser for @9yrs.
    It's running great, economical and great space.
    My only complaint is that the water dispenser drip tray area can develop rust under the lip of the tray.
    That said the fridge has been in place and in use for quite a while with no other issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’ve had a few Beko things over the years (dishwasher, oven) and they’ve both been perfect despite being the entry level models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Thanks - so in general, is there a mid-range brand that you'd recommended, or does it really depend on the appliance? We were warned off Zanussi for ovens/hobs and washing machines. I think our current dishwasher is Whirlpool and it's been grand. Not too fussed about everything matching, so if we have to mix and match, it's fine!

I have a Zanussi washing machine, oven and hob for the past 16 years. All have been flawless lol

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭corkgirl17

I had an appliance repair man come out to the house before and he said he would always recommend Beko or Zanussi as they are the best performing for the money. Have a Beko dryer for years and no problem, and after his recommendations bought a Zanussi washing machine and Beko dishwasher. All going well so far can't complain!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Indesit is another very good medium price brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

All but the very cheapest ikea appliances have a 5 year parts and labour warranty. They’re rebranded Whirlpool. Got an integrated dishwasher, washing machine and fridge freezer 4 years ago and all have been perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Drag00n79 wrote: »
    I have a Zanussi washing machine, oven and hob for the past 16 years. All have been flawless lol

Ditto. Zanussi washing machine, dishwasher and cooker for last 14 years. No issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

We got our dishwasher repaired a few months ago. It was a Zanussi, and the guy who repaired it said that the latest Zanussis were rubbish and lasted no time, and that if he was buying a new one himself he'd buy a Beko as they're the most reliable. Can't say if other appliances are as good, but he was certainly a big fan of their dishwashers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I have had good experience with beko the last few years. I have bought two fridge-freezers (one free-standing, one , an oven, washing machine, dryer, a washer dryer and a dishwasher since 2015 and none of them have had a problem so far.

As a general rule of thumb, I try to avoid buying the cheapest thing any manufacturer sells in any range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Zaph wrote: »
    .... and the guy who repaired it said that the latest Zanussis were rubbish and lasted no time, and that if he was buying a new one himself he'd buy a Beko as they're the most reliable.

Did it occur to you that there is a pretty big conflict of interest in that situation :confused:

Unless he's family or a very good friend, the last person I'd go to for advice on an appliance purchase is a repair man.

Ditto the sales guy in your local electrical shop. My sister was buying an oven and was expressing doubts about Beko in one of the electrical chains. What swung the sale was when the sales guy told her it was manufactured in Germany. Which was a downright lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

coylemj wrote: »
    Did it occur to you that there is a pretty big conflict of interest in that situation :confused:

Unless he's family or a very good friend, the last person I'd go to for advice on an appliance purchase is a repair man.

Ditto the sales guy in your local electrical shop. My sister was buying an oven and was expressing doubts about Beko in one of the electrical chains. What swung the sale was when the sales guy told her it was manufactured in Germany. Which was a downright lie.

Beko is a Turkish brand don't know why he would say this. Some people won't touch Beko because of the bad rep they had but so did Skoda and every one is driving them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 Nightwolf1

Hi there,

Thanks.

As a rule I stick to aeg which Is Electrolux or Siemens Neff there reliable and usually good features beko is hit and miss I do belive there washing machines were pretty reliable but have gone downhill a bit

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Beko is a Turkish brand don't know why he would say this.

He told a porkie to close the sale. Sales people tell lies all the time.
    Darren 83 wrote: »
    Some people won't touch Beko because of the bad rep they had but so did Skoda and every one is driving them now.

Not a valid comparison. Skoda was bought by VW who invested billions into their Czech factories, including establishing robotic assembly lines. They would have faded and rusted into oblivion like Lada without the money from the west.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well considering that he was replacing a part in a machine of a different brand that was going to prolong the life of it by quite a few years I'm not really seeing where the conflict of interest is.

Well considering that he was replacing a part in a machine of a different brand that was going to prolong the life of it by quite a few years I'm not really seeing where the conflict of interest is.

Just to remind you of what you posted ...
    We got our dishwasher repaired a few months ago. It was a Zanussi, and the guy who repaired it said that the latest Zanussis were rubbish and lasted no time, and that if he was buying a new one himself he'd buy a Beko as they're the most reliable.

Your repair man is either planning on retiring soon or he's a complete fcuking idiot. Or he's looking out for future business for himself and he thinks Beko appliances are pure sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Beko is basically a generic brand now like a lot of them, especially the ones that people would know from years ago and assume are 'big brands'.

Same thing has happened with TV and electronics market, the original manufacturers don't make items themselves any more but have sold off their name to be used, as it fools consumers.

So the likes of Candy, Indesit, Zanussi, Hoover, Hotpoint etc are no better than Beko imho. They are cheaply made. Same applies to the likes of Sharp, Philips, Hitachi, Sanyo, JVC etc when thinking about TVs.

Afaik, the likes of Samsung, Miele, Neff, Bosch, Smeg, AEG etc all make better quality products and still manufacture their own goods.

Having said all this, I had a Beko fridge freezer for the guts of 15 years, ran perfectly. Also had one of their condenser dryers which last about 8 years before overheating and smeeling like burnt rubber. I think if you buy a cheap brand, you could get lucky and have it last for decades, or have one die in 2 years. Luck of the draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Beko are very good, they are also not a rebadged brand like many others. I wouldn't touch Zanusi having had apliances fail one month outside of warrenty and their attitute was very poor.

The Beko frost-free integrated fridges are 1/2 the price of the equivelent models and very good for the money. One of the drawers got broken due to over loading / handling, they sent out a replacement by courier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,741 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The Electrolux group own the following brands/makers:

AEG - acquired 1994, a former German manufacturer, name means "General Electricity Company"

Zanussi - Italian firm bought in 1984

It seems that Electrolux market their appliances under their own name and these two brands.

It seems that AEG is the higher end, like Audi in the VW group.

Bosch and Siemens merged their appliances operations in 1967, known as BSH. They seem to position Siemens a bit higher than Bosch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,741 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The Whirlpool group own the following brands:

Whirlpool
    Indesit
    Hotpoint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭bobgaf

A couple of things worth considering.
    For the best reviews of most domestic appliances, subscribe to Which. Cancel when you have have your research done and it costs practically nothing. Great advice there.
    When looking around, check if any manufacturers are offering extended warranties for free ( parts and labour, not parts only ). I've bought appliances based on this and have had peace of mind for 5 years as a result. Also, if an appliance is fully guaranteed for 5 years, chances are that it will run for longer that that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

I went through two Bosch washing machines in 6 years and will never touch them again. Latest machine is Beko and so far is going well for the last twelve months. Have just replaced the dishwasher recently with a Beko too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

corkgirl17 wrote: »
    I had an appliance repair man come out to the house before and he said he would always recommend Beko or Zanussi as they are the best performing for the money.
    Same with my repair guy.

I always try and buy Bosch and was leery about Beko.

Our Bosch dishwasher broke down after 7 years. Part would have cost €200 to fix.

Repair guy recommended a new Beko for €275. Came with Has a five year parts and labour warranty. Still working fine after 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

Beko are brilliant IMO, bought a cheap and cheerful fridge many years ago (needed cheap and in a hurry) and it's still going strong, since then we've added a beko washing machine and a dryer, all are more than 5 years old now and in everyday use without complaint, fast becoming my preferred brand.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think if you buy a cheap brand, you could get lucky and have it last for decades, or have one die in 2 years. Luck of the draw.

That's the most sensible thing that's been said in this thread. Don't judge the brand just because your dishwasher/washing machine failed after two years. Most likely it's down to a component that was bought in.

All that the various manufacturers do is assemble machines from parts and components they buy in. The same component that caused your Bosch to fail could easily be installed in the Whirlpool machine you buy to replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

gamblor101 wrote: »
    I went through two Bosch washing machines in 6 years and will never touch them again. Latest machine is Beko and so far is going well for the last twelve months. Have just replaced the dishwasher recently with a Beko too.

The bosches would have been working well after 12 months too, if they lasted on average 36 months before packing it in.

Your trust in beko is 24 months too early to mean anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I think our current dishwasher is Whirlpool and it's been grand. Not too fussed about everything matching, so if we have to mix and match, it's fine!

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/product_recalls/whirlpool-hotpoint-and-indesit-dishwasher-safety-notice-reminder/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Have had a below job for 10 years ,no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

seefin wrote: »
    Have had a below job for 10 years ,no problems.

Below job :eek:

Thanks everyone for your input.

Pretty much every (Beko) appliance I'm looking at has a 2-year P&L warranty, is this standard? Or should I look for something with 5 year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭bobgaf

2-year P&L warranty is standard with Beko. You cannot get 5 years unless you go for Bosch, Samsung, Ikea for example and you will pay more for these. Some of the budget manufacturers offer extended parts guarantees. You will be hit for labour though in the event of a callout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I got 2 years P&L and 10 years parts guarantee on a Beko tumble dryer recently. I think the extra year and 10 years parts had to be activated by a phone call.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    I got 2 years P&L and 10 years parts guarantee on a Beko tumble dryer recently. I think the extra year and 10 years parts had to be activated by a phone call.

Good to know, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Beko fridge freezer - 15 years + and still working fine
    Beko Dishwasher - 10 years + and still working fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

We got our dishwasher repaired a few months ago. It was a Zanussi, and the guy who repaired it said that the latest Zanussis were rubbish and lasted no time, and that if he was buying a new one himself he'd buy a Beko as they're the most reliable. Can't say if other appliances are as good, but he was certainly a big fan of their dishwashers.[/quote

We were told the same we got some zanussis stuff for kitchen and the mid range stuff has lasted better. Like above the repair man said the new zanussis are not as reliable. We currently have a candy washing and dryer and both are working perfectly and only half the cost of higher end stuff.
    One thing we noticed about the beko was it only gave a years parts warranty where the candy was 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ropg

Everything in my kitchen - oven, hob, dishwasher, microwave, extractor fan, fridge freezer, chest freezer, washing machine and dryer are Beko. Still going strong after 6 years or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Geuze wrote: »
    It seems that AEG is the higher end, like Audi in the VW group.

And if you own an Audi, like I do, you'll know reliability is no better than a Volkswagen. Their equally unreliable, iow.

If it's reliability you're after, in an appliance, rather than nicer surface fit out, then don't buy either a Volkswagen or an Audi equivilent

Beko fridge freezer - 15 years + and still working fine
    Beko Dishwasher - 10 years + and still working fine

That was Beko 10-15 years ago. Which says very little about now.

Don't buy Hoover/Candy in any case. Utter rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

our dryer is a beko.
    excellent and very good value and going strong for a good few years.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Don't buy Hoover/Candy in any case. Utter rubbish.

And now Hoover/Candy are owned by Haier, how that goes is anyone's guess...

What we need is some kind of sub-review forum. Somewhere to find out the beef behind the brand. Given brands seem very much a moveable feast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

What we need is some kind of sub-review forum. Somewhere to find out the beef behind the brand. Given brands seem very much a moveable feast.

Different people have different ideas about what makes a ‘good’ dishwasher too.

Which in the UK seem to make a good effort at reviewing white goods like dishwashers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

He would like to keep repairing the current dishwasher.

Also - it might be that the latest model is not readily repairable - bad news for him.

We have Beko big freezer in the house here.

It's grand in that it does its job and it hasnt yet broke down.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

coylemj wrote:
    Your repair man is either planning on retiring soon or he's a complete fcuking idiot. Or he's looking out for future business for himself and he thinks Beko appliances are pure sh1te.

I don't buy this at all. There's never going to be any shortage of work for white goods repair men. All brands break down. Some more than others maybe, but there's an element of chance. Chances are he really thinks Beko generally offer good value for money. And there are loads of comments on this thread from different people backing that up. But of course, it's also true that manufacturers will be better at making certain appliances than others. No company will be equally great at everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

Only one that's very significantly different in terms of build quality is Miele - things like stainless steel, rather than plastic outer drums, cast iron rather than concrete counter weights and nearly automotive level of shock absorbers and so on. They're basically a domestic version of a commercal machine and it's why their so pricy, but they do genuinely last for a very long time. They literally weight about twice the weight of any other machine due to all the steel and have features like being able to service them from front.

The only other washing machine like that is the Electrolux semi commercial stuff.

Bosch/Siemens, Samsung, LG, AEG etc are all pretty good build quality too but they're not using those kinds of components at the high/mid price range.

Expensive Hotpoint or Hoover = waste of money. They're not very well built generally. You're getting a low budget machine at a high price.

Zanussi, cheaper end of Bosch range, Beko and some of the Indesit/Hotpoint ( now whirlpool) stuff is very good at the budget range.

Hoover, Candy and unheard of brands under store own label - usually a case of getting what you paid for - you can't build a washing machine for €200. Well, you can but ...don't expect it to last very long.

Advertisement