Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Dying - Help!!

Options
  • 11-06-2019 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

hi

I planted a bare root 4 ft copper birch around February this year. It took off really well, big leaves and all.

But within the past 3 weeks, the leaves are getting a bit withered!

Iv kept it watered during any fine spells. And gave it some bone meal about 2 weeks ago.

Anything i can give to save this tree??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Why does the bark look so black for the first section above ground level ??

The tree is also incorrectly staked as it’s jammed up against the stake which will damage bark and definitely cause disease.

Was it bare root or potted??
    Was it planted at the same level as it had been ?

During May there were some severe frosty windy nights and many hedges and trees took damage during that spell, I expect that it what you are seeing. There is a good chance it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Are you sure that's copper beech? Doesn't look like right leaf shape to me. I'd also remove the grass/weeds from the base of the plant. It's competing with the tree for water and nutrients.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agree with all points above. It would be a Copper Beech if it were a copper anything. However it looks more like a Maple/Acer, though the pics are not very good. It looks as though it has wind damage, probably not a great concern, again the pics make it difficult to be sure.

Absolutely agree it is not properly staked, the post will damage the tree, especially the very top of the post where it has a ridge from being hammered in. There should be a divider to hold the tree away from the stake, it should not be held fast like that as high as it is, it should have some movement. All you are doing is holding the roots in place so they don't rock, the stem should be allowed to be flexible. Have a look on google for a video of 'staking a young tree'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

You have done all you can do. Let it sit and it will either die or slowly come back over the year. Don't trim it and keep all wildlife away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yep it should be fine with time, though agree about the staking.
    From the pics it looks to be a field maple, Acer campestre, certainly not a copper beech or birch.

hi all.

thanks for the comment.

iv just checked and its an October Glory / Maple.

iv lowered and loosened the ties.

checked the neighbouring tree and its just as bad. see photo. is there anything i shud put on them??

Advertisement