Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Werewolf discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

But if Stu does that how are future mods going to know they can’t use it without having to also PM the forum mods?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

When they update the table with the theme maybe? I dunno. I’ll have to chat to the other two.

kitten_k wrote: »
    But if Stu does that how are future mods going to know they can’t use it without having to also PM the forum mods?

Good question.

I think this came up at some point last year and if I'm not mistaken there was a 'PM the mods' suggestion, I'm wondering if there was actually a decision made on it.

Anyway...I'm sure it'll fine, no one else will likely run a Worzel Gummidge game in the near future.

Edit: If the regularity of games is soon to expand further (which is great) and there are going to be a few different mod teams working on building different games at the same time, maybe it would do no harm to have at least one FG mod designated to compile a list of themes in the background. Any future game builders could ask 'Is anyone currently down to run X theme?' and the designated mod could let them know if it was free or not.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Hl8Mpv.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Think we discussed something about this last year. Cant remember what we decided on. You could probably give a ball park area of what your theme is, like movie or tv show, or even genre like sci fi. If mods ahead of you think they might clash, they could contact you. But if there was a common user everyone could tell it would indeed be a better solution. It would mean every game mod would need to use them.

• Advertisement

You see the new Worzel??

482459.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Any future game builders could ask 'Is anyone currently down to run X theme?' and the designated mod could let them know if it was free or not.

Now I want an X-MEN game. Goddamit Stu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

PS. New Worzel is HORRIFIC

Kolido wrote: »
    Think we discussed something about this last year. Cant remember what we decided on. You could probably give a ball park area of what your theme is, like movie or tv show, or even genre like sci fi. If mods ahead of you think they might clash, they could contact you. But if there was a common user everyone could tell it would indeed be a better solution. It would mean every game mod would need to use them.

Yes someone being a coordinator could work (I don’t mind doing it) and once the themes are known they can keep track of it. Each mod would need to send the coordinator a PM before they start planning

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Edit: If the regularity of games is soon to expand further (which is great) and there are going to be a few different mod teams working on building different games at the same time, maybe it would do no harm to have at least one FG mod designated to compile a list of themes in the background. Any future game builders could ask 'Is anyone currently down to run X theme?' and the designated mod could let them know if it was free or not.

When beaker and I were worried about a conflict he gave me the genre and we saw if it matched with mine. If it had we would have given each other another clue. Only reveal full theme if everything else matched.

Someone is going to have to know, if game mods want some themes secret.

• Advertisement

You see the new Worzel??

Oh no!!

I heard about it on the radio the other day. Apparently it's a passion project of Mackenzie Crook's, like he has written, directed and stars in it.

I don't think the world needs this, and that photo doesn't really inspire confidence for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

tusk wrote: »
    PS. New Worzel is HORRIFIC

Looks like Freddy Krueger had a baby with a carrot.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Maybe just don't be so protective over themes might be a better way to go.

Why exactly are theme kept back for so long?

What are the advantages / disadvantage of just making public your theme from conception? or at least when its well hammered together and all agree thats the way you are going.

If it was public for longer, sure wouldn't that be better for attracting fans of themes etc. that just a week or two prior to signups closing.

Oh no!!

I heard about it on the radio the other day. Apparently it's a passion project of Mackenzie Crook's, like he has written, directed and stars in it.

I don't think the world needs this, and that photo doesn't really inspire confidence for me.

They won’t beat the original - I loved it!

sKeith wrote:
    If it was public for longer, sure wouldn't that be better for attracting fans of themes etc. that just a week or two prior to signups closing.

If people want secrets that's fine I guess. But I prefer sKeiths approach.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I guess again you're talking about mod preference there, some people like to keep things hush hush till the sign up thread, others (like me) throw it into the schedule as soon as they decide to run a game.

Neither are wrong, but yeah a co-ordinator might be no harm just in case of clashes particularly with extra games. I don't think its fair to ask the forum mods to do it (unless they want to), it's the kinda thing that's maybe better off being done by someone in the community?

Kitten would be a fine choice imo :) Not least cos she's put herself forward :P

Baggly wrote: »
    When beaker and I were worried about a conflict he gave me the genre and we saw if it matched with mine. If it had we would have given each other another clue. Only reveal full theme if everything else matched.

Someone is going to have to know, if game mods want some themes secret.

That's a good method you guys used in that situation.

Like I know with my suggestion of 'PM one FG mod' it isn't fair on that FG mod as such if they have to know every theme in advance - maybe they would like the surprise with a theme some time as a regular player.

I have a couple of themes in mind for my April and September games next year. They aren't exactly high demand themes, but I could see one eventually been landed upon. I'm not aiming to keep the themes super secret or anything, just wait until a month or two before the game like most regular games do it.

Btw...Back in January when we hadn't fully decided on Deadwood as April's theme, quickbeam suggested Friends for our theme. Now we didn't run it in the end, but nearly did. Had June's mods decided upon running Friends by mid April? If so, we would have incidentally stolen their thunder and undone some of their work.

I'm just aiming to avoid such a scenario from occurring, if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Necro wrote: »
    I guess again you're talking about mod preference there, some people like to keep things hush hush till the sign up thread, others (like me) throw it into the schedule as soon as they decide to run a game.

Neither are wrong, but yeah a co-ordinator might be no harm just in case of clashes particularly with extra games. I don't think its fair to ask the forum mods to do it (unless they want to), it's the kinda thing that's maybe better off being done by someone in the community?

Kitten would be a fine choice imo :) Not least cos she's put herself forward :P

Could the coordinator be someone from the fg forum, not only ww community? I mean someone who doesnt play ww if they were such a user.

Could the coordinator be someone from the fg forum, not only ww community? I mean someone who doesnt play ww if they were such a user.

Yeah I mean it could be anyone really imo, I'm not even saying we HAVE to have one.

Necro wrote: »
    Yeah I mean it could be anyone really imo, I'm not even saying we HAVE to have one.

FFAs? :pac:

• Advertisement

There has to be a google form or something where you could input a theme and check if it's booked or not.

I'd be fairly confident we can solve this with excel.

There has to be a google form or something where you could input a theme and check if it's booked or not.

Yeah and look it's not even a major issue, I don't wanna make a mountain out of a molehill here or too much work for someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

There is such people, but why shouldwe burden them with our issues?
    Think its best kept in the community of interest, in fear of taxing somebody who dont have a care for ww at all.

Wouldn't that be public then though which brings us back to our initial issue.

Maybe it's possible, I'm not that skilled in excel.

A yes no return field after you input a theme. Wouldn't be foolproof.

Yeah a coordinator is better.

That's a good method you guys used in that situation.

Like I know with my suggestion of 'PM one FG mod' it isn't fair on that FG mod as such if they have to know every theme in advance - maybe they would like the surprise with a theme some time as a regular player.

I have a couple of themes in mind for my April and September games next year. They aren't exactly high demand themes, but I could see one eventually been landed upon. I'm not aiming to keep the themes super secret or anything, just wait until a month or two before the game like most regular games do it.

Btw...Back in January when we hadn't fully decided on Deadwood as April's theme, quickbeam suggested Friends for our theme. Now we didn't run it in the end, but nearly did. Had June's mods decided upon running Friends by mid April? If so, we would have incidentally stolen their thunder and undone some of their work.

I'm just aiming to avoid such a scenario from occurring, if possible.

We decided on the theme mid April. In this case it wouldn’t have mattered as we only really start planning a couple of weeks ago but I know other mods do start a good bit in advance

We decided on the theme mid April. In this case it wouldn’t have mattered as we only really start planning a couple of weeks ago but I know other mods do start a good bit in advance

Are you referring to my six month long planning phases per chance :o

If we are having a co-ordinator, I'm happy for kitten to do it if she wants, if she really really wants.

giphy.gif

I think this is a little too much detail for explaining what WW is to new people. Im gonna look at revising it. Anyone wanna contribute?
    FAQ for new players!

Hello and welcome to the Werewolf Forum!

What is Werewolf?

Werewolf is an online game (sometimes called Mafia elsewhere on the internet) whereby a group of players sign up to play a game, with the goal of identifying which of them has been assigned the role of a werewolf.
    Each day, through deductive reasoning and (vigourous) questioning, the ‘village’, which is the total group of players signed up the game, try to find the wolves and ‘lynch’ them, until there are no wolves left. At the same time, the wolves have an opportunity to kill off villagers (munch them). Typically, the village wins a game if all the wolves are killed, or the wolves win if they achieve parity with the remaining villagers (no. of wolves = no. of villagers).

There is lots of variation on this mechanic, including the introduction of special roles and powers, but the above is how it basically works. To see a list of some of the roles and powers used, please click here (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057657718).

Who runs each game?

Games are ‘moderated/modulated/modded’ by 1, 2,3 or even 4 game mods (who volunteer their time and energy to do so) each month (and sometimes more than once a month), and the player spots are filled on a first come first serve basis (open to everyone on boards). If you want to see a list of games previously played and the mods who ran the games, please click here (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057666523).

Where do I sign up?

If you would like to keep updated on when the next game is starting/sign ups for the next game are starting, please visit this thread (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057793442) and click the ‘follow thread’ button. When a new game is announced by the game mods, it will pop up in that thread, and you can sign up for the game by posting that you want to play!

Do I need to do anything before I play?

When playing a game, the game will typically be run using a thread on the ‘Werewolf’ forum which is a sub forum to this forum (Forum games). You need to request access to the ‘Werewolf’ forum and you can do so by clicking this link (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057657618).
    If you are assigned a role (and new players can be assigned a role on their first game), you will be able to use your powers and interact with teammates (if you have any) on an off site forum, which can be accessed here (http://changeofplangames. com/wwforum/index.php). Go to that site and register a username (usually the same username you have on boards), and if you are assigned a role, the admins of Changeofplangames (COP) will assign you to the right threads there. You will also be able to look back at the archive of previous games on the site, which is pretty darn nifty.

Its important to remember not to ask questions on thread about your role in the actual game thread. Having a role can be valuable information, and you may not want to share what it is too early. A good tip is that, for the duration of the game, only trust the mods!

Anything else I should know?

Normal boards.ie rules still apply when playing a game (e.g. no multiple accounts, no attacking a poster, don’t post bold stuff), and each game will have its own set of specific rules, which are key to read before the game starts. Some of the more common rules are:

• No editing or unthanking of posts during a game
    • Try not to be offended, but no personal abuse to be directed at players, especially concerning real life situations
    • No cheating, no mass reveals (organising for everyone to reveal their characters all at once, no copy & pasting information from PMs from the mods, no copy pasting from backrooms (COP).
    • No discussing the game outside of the forum (via PM, instant messager, whatsapp, pigeon carrier etc)
    • Play in the best interests of your character, but not at all costs, make sure you are having fun and that the rest of the people are too!
    • Respect the mods decisions
    • Be active and post as much as you can, even if you haven’t a clue whats going on!

In addition to this, there are distinctions in game between day and night phases within the game. Typically, the day phase is from 10am (when the ‘munch’ happens and the wolves get their daily kill) and 9pm (when the ‘lynch’ happens and the village gets their daily kill), although this can vary from game to game (and you will be told when the game starts). This can also vary if the mods need to speed the game up (typically we try to finish games within by the Friday after they start, so mods can implement a speed day and have, for example, 2 lynches and 2 munches per day on the Thursday and Friday, to ensure the game doesn’t run into the weekend.

The Werewolf forum is a very open, welcoming and fun community that has grown hugely since it first started. Everyone is welcome to play and learn as they go, but it is very important to understand that while you are learning during a game, its better to post at a minimal rate and try your best rather than drop out.

Dropping out forces the mods to make changes to the game to rebalance the teams. An example of this would be a player who was assigned the role of bodyguard on the good team dropping out. The bodyguard protects a player each night against the wolves, so if that player drops out, not only do the villagers lose a player, but they lose the role that player had. If at all possible, its best to talk to your game mods before you drop out – and they will advise on how to proceed. Joining a game can be a little overwhelming at first, but the longer you try to play along and keep active, the more you will understand, and the less overwhelming it will be. Your game mods know this too and are always there to help!

Finally, as the Werewolf forum is a community, with some players playing monthly games for (at the time of this being written) almost 2 years, there are lots of previously told jokes, terminology and acronyms that will be used in a game. Don’t worry about these – you can always ask what they mean, and soon you will be making your own that will become part of the forums history!

Baggly wrote:
    I think this is a little too much detail for explaining what WW is to new people. Im gonna look at revising it. Anyone wanna contribute?

Just getting up now so will take a look and give a hand if you like?

• Advertisement

Nice one thanks.

Concision is the name of the game (not either of our forté's) so we will get there :D

Advertisement