Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard to paint colour

• 17-06-2019 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hello everyone, I'm painting the hallway and it's currently magnolia, painting a grey colour now over it , called frosted silver, blue grey shade colour, johnstones paint , I'm finding it unbelievable hard to get it to spread even, the walls are good, only 10 years old , it's soft sheen. Just can't understand why it's so hard to paint , only done kitchen 2 weeks ago, dulux pale primrose and no problem, any information appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭wait4me

A second coat will probably be needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Johnstones may not be the same quality as the Dulux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Dig all wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I'm painting the hallway and it's currently magnolia, painting a grey colour now over it , called frosted silver, blue grey shade colour, johnstones paint , I'm finding it unbelievable hard to get it to spread even, the walls are good, only 10 years old , it's soft sheen. Just can't understand why it's so hard to paint , only done kitchen 2 weeks ago, dulux pale primrose and no problem, any information appreciated.

Johnstones.....there’s your problem right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

dodzy wrote: »
    Johnstones.....there’s your problem right there.

Depends if it's retail johnstones or trade. The trade has good opacity

Depends if it's retail johnstones or trade. The trade has good opacity

Like every other paint query on here. If everybody just bought colourtrend, there’d be no issues. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I used Johnson's last summer although it was a dark grey colour I was using. It definitely needed 3 coats before it came up properly (it was over a lilac colour).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If it takes several coats, wouldn't it be cheaper and better to use primer with one coat?

Any decent paint should be capable of covering mag in 2 coats. If you need more, then the paint is crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭cletus

Probably a left of field question, but it's not metallic paint, by any chance? I've only used metallic paint once, but I found it to be a complete pain in the hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭whizbang

A few years of greasy fingerprints will challenge even the best paints.
    Hallways most of all.

I had an old relation of mine, used furniture polish on the walls.

• Advertisement

whizbang wrote: »
    A few years of greasy fingerprints will challenge even the best paints.
    Hallways most of all.

I had an old relation of mine, used furniture polish on the walls.

I think some furniture polishes have (or at least had) silicone in them .

Advertisement