Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to break into a Business Analyst role with no experience?

• 30-09-2020 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I hope there are some business analysts out there that can help me. I am from an engineering background but am currently looking for a career change. The role of a Business Analyst really appeals to me, but when looking at any job advertisements they all look for an experienced Business Analyst.

I've been told on numerous occasions that engineers make for great BA's. But the problem I see is that there are no opportunities for an engineer to get into that field without significant experience as a BA!

Is anyone aware of a pathway into this career? Does it largely come down to knowing someone in a company that is willing to give you a chance or should I be applying for roles that look for 4+ years experience anyway despite not having any experience?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I
    I've been told on numerous occasions that engineers make for great BA's. But the problem I see is that there are no opportunities for an engineer to get into that field without significant experience as a BA!

To be a good business analyst, you need to actually know the business and have experience if software development... an engineering degree does not give you either, it's an indication of an analytical mind and the potential to make a career in that area, but I doubt many will be willing to bet on you to solve their problems without experience of either...

Could you get involved from the Engineering side in a software project perhaps and work your way in that way, maybe consider a part time degree in business of computing... get involved in software engineering and move from there.

Advertisement