Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are employers less likely to hire you if you're unemployed?

• 29-09-2020 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

So, I've been looking for a job since the start of the year. I graduated in December from my Masters in History. Started looking for jobs after Christmas. Of course, when I started getting job interviews in Febuary/March everywhere shut down and all those vacancies dried up. I've been applying to no end but feeling like I'm getting nowhere. I've mostly been looking at admin/customer service jobs and I've applied for a few public sector campaigns. I really want to work in a museum but vacancies are few and far between. The hole in my CV is growing and I feel embarrassed and worry that me being unemployed is making employers turn me down. Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

If you can't get paid work in your field you could try volunteering in some museum, library or get involved in historic societies, research etc...
    Just to keep that part of your CV alive.
    Start a history blog or project on a specific subject to keep you busy.

If you're just looking for any job, ask your family, friends and neighbors for help. Do they know if there's any jobs or internships going.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tilytally

There are lots of people in the same boat as you now so do not worry about a gap, employers understand the pandemic has caused massive disruption to the employment market worldwide so try not to stress too much. It's not easy being unemployed but try to remember that you have what is probably a 40 year career ahead of you depending on your age, this is just a blip on the radar. Good luck with your job search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I think the biggest problem is you have a masters in history. Maybe an unpopular opinion but I feel those sorts of degrees are things you do for fun and not for getting a job.

I think you should consider getting some skills employers want. For example, a project management qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

Civil service is currently hiring with a number of competitions being run.

The entry level for diplomats (Third Secretary) is currently open for applications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

Like you, I also find that COVID has destroyed a lot of opportunities OP. I was poised to start two different graduate programs this year after completing all of the tests and interviews successfully; but both of them were cancelled because of COVID.

I apply to 6+ jobs per week and usually get no reply to any of them; it’s very demoralising. People say don’t take it personally but after so many applications it’s hard not to. I don’t have any confidence left at this point and just fake it and pretend that I do in applications and interviews.

I cover the gap in my CV by volunteering and by doing freelance graphic design work. It’s not related to the field I’m going for (Accounting) but it’s better than nothing and shows that I can at least communicate with clients and manage my own workload independently.

I think you need to start lying about the gap on your CV or you need to start doing something about the gap and then lie about the timeline.

Find some free/cheap online courses/certificates and add them to your CV. Do a few quickly and then say you did them over the course of the pandemic. This will give you something to talk about when you get to interview: saying you took advantage of the pandemic to learn new skills is a whole lot better than saying you did nothing. I have had more success with getting past the initial application stage by doing these courses and mentioning them in my cover letter than I have had by talking about my actual degrees.

You’ll lose nothing by trying a few of them (Google Digital Garage has some for free with certification, so you can add it to your LinkedIn.)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

If you can't get paid work in your field you could try volunteering in some museum, library or get involved in historic societies, research etc...
    Just to keep that part of your CV alive.
    Start a history blog or project on a specific subject to keep you busy.

Exactly this. They want relevant experience and this is what's hindering you.

If I was looking through CVs I'd have a preference for someone with workplace experience as there's way less unknowns.

Accept they you're going to have to work a role that you may see as beneath yourself and throw yourself into it completely. You'll either get promoted or be in a position in six months time to apply for other jobs with a little experience under your belt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Exactly this. They want relevant experience and this is what's hindering you.

If I was looking through CVs I'd have a preference for someone with workplace experience as there's way less unknowns.

Accept they you're going to have to work a role that you may see as beneath yourself and throw yourself into it completely. You'll either get promoted or be in a position in six months time to apply for other jobs with a little experience under your belt.

Do you think people should fob on their CV's and put in fake work experience? I've got conflicting opinions on this. Some say it's the only thing you can do and others say don't lie at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

Do you think people should fob on their CV's and put in fake work experience? I've got conflicting opinions on this. Some say it's the only thing you can do and others say don't lie at all.

I've been told to do that too; I have even been advised to set up a fake business website and have a family member pose as the HR manager/CEO under a fake name and then buy a cheap sim card so they can answer calls about me.

I think you'd be liable to get caught in that situation though. Seems very risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭newbie18892

Like you I fell for the college meme and did a masters in history....what a waste. I struggled for ages and eventually got a Jobsbridge internship at a Local Authority. Then it was another year doing crappy odd jobs before finally getting a job in the civil service. I'm content with my lot now, I've got a permanent job afterall, but I do regret wasting time and money on the masters.

I'd recommend getting into the civil service. Or get temporary work in the civil service as start and go from there.

If not then retrain in something practical.

I don't regret doing the MA. I plan to do a PhD in the future and still really love history. Would like a few years work experience first though. I have applied to some civil service campaigns so hoping I get in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

The problem with applying for admin/customer service jobs is you are competing with so many people.

Those type of jobs get the most job applications.

I think you should try a lot more speculative job applications for things which you aren't qualified for. Maybe they aren't getting applicants and will be willing to hire you or give you a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Who said anything about fake work experience?

I'd take someone with a genuine interest in a subject over someone who graduated and let there skills stagnate.

The OP has a masters in history and we assume that's their chosen career.

If I were hiring and had a choice between someone who sat on their ass since graduation or helped or started some historic research I'd go with the one who showed enthusiasm for the subject matter.

I'm in I.T. and I've spent a lot of time on personal projects.
    I've been on the interviewer side of the table a lot more than the interviewee side.

When I've interviewing someone I will give a lot of credit to interviewees who write their own projects, even small stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

Absolutely not.

If you need experience go and get it through volunteering or something like that.

Never supply a lie and could end being discovered.

Advertisement