Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA

Options
  • 15-07-2020 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Just wondering has anyone been on BTEA in the last year and when can one expect to hear from them etc as to it being granted. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sineadt

I am in the same situation, I was offered my place way back in April and applied to my local office immediately. I rang about 6 weeks ago (local office) and they said no they had not heard anything. So I paid my non-refundable deposit to secure the place and have been paying the fees in installments in hope! Has anyone has any idea what's the next best step to take? Applied for Susi too but was turned down on the grounds that I already have applied for the BTEA and have a level 5 on the NFQ (a short bookkeeping course). Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭ronano

My information is 4 years out of date, I was on btea for 4 years during university. I'd get a letter confirming I'm on btea or continuing on it always in early to mid September sometimes after my university start date. I know it's incredibly frustrating if that is still the case.

Sinead, are you going up a level or repeating the same level as your previous course?

I would ring the back to education section and see when you will know you'll be accepted on to btea. The staff are lovely and helpful (I know rest of social welfare it's hit and miss but btea section are all lovely)

I will be doing the same level, but it is a two year hairdressing qualification so completely different. I did a minor bookkeeping and payroll course level 5 to help me with going back to work last year but no luck so thought this might actually get me back into employment.

It's really my last chance at an apprenticeship (getting long in the tooth). Thanks for the feedback I will give my local office a ring on Tuesday and see if a case officer will have a chat.

I think with all the extra work with covid they are all under pressure. I am on the panel for the civil service so I was hoping that I would get a call from them but nothing yet, so hopefully one of my options will work out.

Sinead (the maid)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

Its utterly confusing but I read somewhere that you have to be progressing to a higher level to get grants/fees and that's apparently with SUSI and the BTEA

Yes I read the same too, but I was told to apply anyway and to apply for SUSI as its part of the process, so I did and they came back with a resounding no. I have a 12 week payroll and bookkeeping course which gave me a level 5 on the QQI. Had I known that I would not have done a short course but I was so sick of being unemployed I took the best course at the time on offer that would get me back working.

I am hopping that as its a new career path for me and there really is plenty of work in the barbering/hairdressing sector (and the chance to support myself if self-employed in the future) that it might be considered. I really am so fed up with what feels like scrounging at this point, that's my personal feeling not that I feel anyone getting a payment is scrounging, more that I feel that I am able to work but just dont seem to get the jobs, interviews yes, jobs no. Anyhow I rang again yesterday and they have my application but could tell me no more. I think I will ring again tomorrow..... as I applied though my local office they are the ones I have to go through. And of course they are dealing with massive work loads, I did offer her on the phone to go in and work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

sineadt wrote: »
    Yes I read the same too, but I was told to apply anyway and to apply for SUSI as its part of the process, so I did and they came back with a resounding no. I have a 12 week payroll and bookkeeping course which gave me a level 5 on the QQI. Had I known that I would not have done a short course but I was so sick of being unemployed I took the best course at the time on offer that would get me back working.

I am hopping that as its a new career path for me and there really is plenty of work in the barbering/hairdressing sector (and the chance to support myself if self-employed in the future) that it might be considered. I really am so fed up with what feels like scrounging at this point, that's my personal feeling not that I feel anyone getting a payment is scrounging, more that I feel that I am able to work but just dont seem to get the jobs, interviews yes, jobs no. Anyhow I rang again yesterday and they have my application but could tell me no more. I think I will ring again tomorrow..... as I applied though my local office they are the ones I have to go through. And of course they are dealing with massive work loads, I did offer her on the phone to go in and work!

I'd try appealing on the basis that a 12 week course is likely an NFQ Level 5 minor award and you would be progressing to a Level 5 major award.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 linz123

I phoned local office today and they are waiting on the new BTEA guidelines to be issued apparently they have new guidelines every year and when they are done they are then assess each claim so likely end of August before anyone hears back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

linz123 wrote: »
    I phoned local office today and they are waiting on the new BTEA guidelines to be issued apparently they have new guidelines every year and when they are done they are then assess each claim so likely end of August before anyone hears back.

BTEA should just be abandoned at this stage and something else brought in. It has been so modified and bastardized at this stage it’s hardly worth applying for any more. Applicants can’t make plans if they have to wait for the start of September to know whether they’ll get anything or how much it will be .

@smallgarden, thanks for the reply, do you mean appeal to SUSI or to BTEA (eventually) on the minor/major basis?

@ Linz123, I feel your pain at least that's a sort of down but not out response from Intreo. I googled it at silly O' clock when I read your response and it was raised with our new minister on the 28th of July and the answer is that there is to be no changes to the current guidelines, so I can assume our officers did not get the memo! Sorry Boards won't let me post links yet

Its frustrating as I am under the cloud of uncertainty as I have paid the college the refundable deposit (my choice) and have fee's of €700 which I have been paying off (beans on toast for the last few months!) as they must be paid before starting. From what I can gather from trawling the internet (not a completely reliable source) a lot of people start and then it seems to get a decision and it is not always positive. I can hardly go back to the college and ask them for the fee's back if I have started and got my training kit and of course them they has lost a student etc etc so inconvenience all round.

The fee's for the course are extremely reasonable and if one was to try and get into the industry as a younger person so doable! The price of the private schools, which seems to be the new path to hairdressing would make you faint I really don't know how someone just out of school could manage it. The foundation courses with salons start at about €5000 up to €7,900 so it seems that now you pay for an aprenticiship (very Trumpish lol).

@splinter65 I think maybe that's what the idea is, as really they would prefer people to go on to third level and not lingerers in the education system and to help people who have been sidelined by circumstance? In the olden day's FAS would either say yes or no, none of this waiting for 5 months. Maybe they are hoping we will find employment in the meantime, which with the current situation is getting harder.

Thanks for all the replies, its good to bounce of others and get their help and advice.

@smallgarden, thanks for the reply, do you mean appeal to SUSI or to BTEA (eventually) on the minor/major basis?

@ Linz123, I feel your pain at least that's a sort of down but not out response from Intreo. I googled it at silly O' clock when I read your response and it was raised with our new minister on the 28th of July and the answer is that there is to be no changes to the current guidelines, so I can assume our officers did not get the memo! Sorry Boards won't let me post links yet

Its frustrating as I am under the cloud of uncertainty as I have paid the college the refundable deposit (my choice) and have fee's of €700 which I have been paying off (beans on toast for the last few months!) as they must be paid before starting. From what I can gather from trawling the internet (not a completely reliable source) a lot of people start and then it seems to get a decision and it is not always positive. I can hardly go back to the college and ask them for the fee's back if I have started and got my training kit and of course them they has lost a student etc etc so inconvenience all round.

The fee's for the course are extremely reasonable and if one was to try and get into the industry as a younger person so doable! The price of the private schools, which seems to be the new path to hairdressing would make you faint I really don't know how someone just out of school could manage it. The foundation courses with salons start at about €5000 up to €7,900 so it seems that now you pay for an aprenticiship (very Trumpish lol).

@splinter65 I think maybe that's what the idea is, as really they would prefer people to go on to third level and not lingerers in the education system and to help people who have been sidelined by circumstance? In the olden day's FAS would either say yes or no, none of this waiting for 5 months. Maybe they are hoping we will find employment in the meantime, which with the current situation is getting harder.

Thanks for all the replies, its good to bounce of others and get their help and advice.

I think for both SUSI and BTEA you need to show progression. You would be progressing if going from a minor award to a major award. I think they saw you had a level 5 already and ruled you out on that basis, not realising it was only a minor award.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that I will get on to it now smallgarden as I only have so long to appeal the SUSI decision.

Anyone heard anything from BTEA thanks in advance

linz123 wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything from BTEA thanks in advance

I have rung my local office for any updates, my case officer is away until the 31st of August. So I explained my situation again and they have requested someone else to deal with my application and have asked them to contact me as a matter of urgency. My local office has been very helpful and supportive so I don't feel like such a begging Ass :o. I also appealed to SUSI. So it's a waiting game now.

I have rung my local office for any updates, my case officer is away until the 31st of August. So I explained my situation again and they have requested someone else to deal with my application and have asked them to contact me as a matter of urgency. My local office has been very helpful and supportive so I don't feel like such a begging Ass :o. I also appealed to SUSI. So it's a waiting game now.

I think if you get BTEA you can only get the fees portion of SUSI.

I got told today they still cannot send out letters if approved or not until the new guidelines are published in the next few weeks if it is a new application.

There are no new guidelines according to the minister's answers on this subject last month or so I read, I found it on the Oireachtas website.

I have emailed Verona Murphy here in Wexford as there is a problem with the school transport for my daughter and also asked about the delay in the BTEA and she has written to both Ministers in question to ask for some clarity as to when we will get a decision. I think the whole emphasis is getting the children back to school and it looks like the civil servants are unsure how to proceed at this point. A total mess. I want to rant about Pubs being open, golf parties, etc, but I think that's been well covered. In the meantime I am applying for jobs which if I offered I hope I can take because I may have to try and juggle childcare and school transport and all the other things a single parent with no backup in that regard due to my rural location (another mess!)

Hi Guys

Great news I got my letter to say I have been provisionally approved. All systems go now. Thanks for all the information and replys

That’s great got mine too!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭alanzo27

Hi All. :)

I am confused regarding BTEA and was hoping that I might receive some clarification from someone who may be in a similar position.

I have received a letter this week to confirm that I have been approved for BTEA. It has been a long process to get BTEA approved due to mitigating circumstances regarding a prior application as well as the current pandemic and I do not want to lose my entitlements.

I have made certain payments to the college I'm attending as per the application form. As far as I understood I would be exempt from paying the Government Levy and the QQI Exam Fees as I had indicated that I had applied as a BTEA Student and that I am a current Medical Card holder.

The BTEA/VTOS Co-Ordinator from the college had said that if I was to apply for VTOS that I would be exempt from all fees and that I would be refunded. They have held a VTOS place for me which I was unaware of. Do you think I should proceed with BTEA and avoid confusion or apply for VTOS? I have contacted the Deciding Officer regarding this but I am still waiting on a response. I have tried contacting my local Intreo but they are extremely busy at the moment. I am also currently on JA, but according to the letter I received I would be paid directly to my bank account beginning from last week, but that hasn't occurred and a JA payment was in the Post Office this week which I had collected. My understanding was that I would be switched automatically to BTEA.

Thanks in advance.

You would be better to phone citizens advice as they would be best placed to advice you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement