Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public or Private CUMH

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dolly16

Is there anywhere online i can see a list on consultants in CUMH and their fees? or how did you all decide and pick one?
    Finding the whole thing a bit confusing - I have a pretty good plan with my health insurance but it's so complicated as to what's covered and what's not covered. or how much would i pay or get back? 
    Very confused! :ermm:

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Countdown1982

Hi Dolly16

Here is a list of Consultants http://www.coga.ie/coga-consultants/, the cost are all the same 3000 euro.

The majority of Health Insurance plans do not cover this, just your stay in hospital and emergency treatment if required. Your best option is give your insurer a call to determine your level of cover, as yes the Health Insurance Plans can be very confusing.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Just thought I'd chime in with my experience going public with CUMH. First time was three years ago, ended up have an emergency CS. Couldn't fault the care I got from start to finish.

I'm currently 33 weeks pregnant and am public again. So far, I have no major complaints. I have gotten a scan at every visit (12, 20, 32 weeks) my next visit is 36 weeks and I would expect to get a scan then so they can see 'the lie of the land' so to speak. Now the scans were quick, but I only wanted them for peace of mind. I was not offered an anomaly scan despite the fact I will be 38 at full term, it's 39 and over in CUMH or if you have family history or history of complications. However anomaly scans are pretty freely available if you go to a private scanning facility. I decided not to bother as at both my 12 and 20 week scan, there was nothing that they could see to warrant concern.

This time I have found the clinics a bit more chaotic, I think that could be to do with bedding in issues with the new IT system. I am under Dr Waterstone and saw him at my 32 week check up. Last pregnancy, I requested to see him specifically towards the end and this was granted (probably waited a bit longer)

Due to my EMCS last time, I was given the option of an elective CS which I have decided to go with. I got my date at the 32 week scan. Last time I was amazingly lucky and got a private room (I knew the midwife checking me in!) it was nice, but I think most of the rooms are two bed, so it's not a deal breaker for me if I'm in a 2 bed or 4 bed. It's only a few nights, I can cope.

Obviously the public system isn't perfect, but €3k is a lot of money and I just couldn't justify the cost. As previously said, CUMH is a great hospital and the midwives are fantastic, yes they are very busy, but in my experience if you ask for their help, they will give it. I got a lot of help with breast feeding the last time cos I wasn't backwards about asking for the help. So I would have to say my experience has been 95% positive (the chaotic clinics are the only real downer)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dolly16

Thanks Countdown and NCMC, very helpful & definitely put me at ease now in making a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 3girls3

Hi, hope ye don't mind me butting in on this thread, I've just found out i'm pregnant with number 4 and i have a severe history of hyperemesis in my other 3 pregnancies (all girls!). My experience of cumh...public 3 times... has been relatively good, especially in the labour ward, they are fantastic! but my ante natal care has been shocking at times, now i am aware that it was complicated, several stays of drip and zofran to even allow me to just stop vomiting for a few hours! I dont think i want to go with coulter again i never met him once on any of my stays, i was always fobbed off to someone else, so does anyone have any recommendations for other consultants in cumh? i will be going public again as i feel the difference in care is very little, i have several friends who were private and could not tell the difference, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

3girls3 wrote: »
    Hi, hope ye don't mind me butting in on this thread, I've just found out i'm pregnant with number 4 and i have a severe history of hyperemesis in my other 3 pregnancies (all girls!). My experience of cumh...public 3 times... has been relatively good, especially in the labour ward, they are fantastic! but my ante natal care has been shocking at times, now i am aware that it was complicated, several stays of drip and zofran to even allow me to just stop vomiting for a few hours! I dont think i want to go with coulter again i never met him once on any of my stays, i was always fobbed off to someone else, so does anyone have any recommendations for other consultants in cumh? i will be going public again as i feel the difference in care is very little, i have several friends who were private and could not tell the difference, thanks

Girls can you request a specific consultant to see at any stage as a public patient ? I would like to ask to see Dr.Watersone at some stage. on my booking appointment letter I have Orfhlaith O'Sullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

jadie wrote: »
    Girls can you request a specific consultant to see at any stage as a public patient ? I would like to ask to see Dr.Watersone at some stage. on my booking appointment letter I have Orfhlaith O'Sullivan

I don't think you can. The consultant I met was Dr Matt Hewitt at my 18 week appointment for about 20 mins. I don't think I see the consultant until I'm term as on the sheet I got it says all the other appointments are with the midwife.

Dr Waterstone is very good though. I was seeing him for my fertility treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

bee06 wrote: »
    I don't think you can. The consultant I met was Dr Matt Hewitt at my 18 week appointment for about 20 mins. I don't think I see the consultant until I'm term as on the sheet I got it says all the other appointments are with the midwife.

Dr Waterstone is very good though. I was seeing him for my fertility treatment.

Ah I've had Matt Hewitt before doing a colposcopy at St. finbarr's very nice doctor and assuring.I'm just confused as the booking appointment letter states Orfhlaith O'Sullivan antenatal clinic (I'll be 14 weeks at that ) I had my dating scan yesterday where they found a large fibroid.So will I only see a midwife at the booking appointment?

Also am I tied to that particular day of the week for future appointments? It really doesn't suit me. Sorry for all the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 2 3girls3

with my other 3, on the booking appointment with my GP, I was asked which team I wanted to be seen under and I just said the same as the last time cos I didnt know who was even available! Maybe I should ask my GP when I see her, from friends experiences though, If you request to be under a certain consultants team and they are too busy or arent dealing in pregnancies at the time, you will just be put under any consultant team. Bee06 - I wonder is that midwifery led, which I heard is just as good and much more personal? I think my pregnancy may just be a bit too complicated, i even baffle the doctors!

I just specified I wanted to go public to my gp. I didn't specify midwifery led or anything.

Jadie, for my booking appointment at 12 weeks I saw a midwife only and that was a Monday. Then my 18 week appointment was a Tuesday with the consultant. He then said since I wasn't high risk I could have the rest of my appointments in St Finbarrs so my 32 week and 36 week appointments are there on a Friday. In between now and then I'm seeing my GP at 24 weeks and 28 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Lorindol31

Anyone have recent experience with Public vs Private care in CUMH?
    Also any thought on Domino scheme in Cork would be great...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Lorindol31 wrote: »
    Anyone have recent experience with Public vs Private care in CUMH?
    Also any thought on Domino scheme in Cork would be great...

Hi Lorindol31, just wondering how you got on and if you went with Domino scheme? Just pregnant on my first and trying to decide public/private/domino. I really like sound of domino scheme but not sure as would also like option of pain relief

Hi Lorindol31, just wondering how you got on and if you went with Domino scheme? Just pregnant on my first and trying to decide public/private/domino. I really like sound of domino scheme but not sure as would also like option of pain relief

I replied on the other thread but you do still have the option of pain relief on the domino scheme. You’ll have gas and air and they’ll give you a pethidine injection as well if you want it. You can still ask for an epidural too but you won’t get the early discharge. In my experience though they will focus on helping you do the things you need to do so that you don’t feel you really need the epidural.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Lorindol31

I completely agree with the other reply.
    Its a fantastic service. My midwife appointments were held in carrigaline primary health care centre.
    I discharged myself the same day as I was anxious to get home. Having the midwives call out to the house was brilliant as well as my partner was there to ask and hear questions unlike in the hospital.
    There were no classes though due to covid so I organised a private one virtually.
    But the midwives are brilliant and they'll help you through labour. I got the tens machine which was brilliant for labouring at home initially. I also got to use gentle birth app with my health insurance. Would recommended that for breathing techniques and positive affirmations.
    Midwives also gave info on things to do/eat to bring on labour naturally. I went a week early as a FTM so I reckon they worked!
    I got pethidine and gas/air for Labour, and only had to get 2 small stitches. It's tough and I found myself getting tired near the end but your body just takes over and you'll be thrilled with yourself afterwards.

I went early as well actually after going 10 days over with my first. I did a lot of spinning babies stuff they recommended which I think helped but who knows on that.

Advertisement