Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

28-05-2004, 22:55   #1
TomTom
Hosted Moderator

HMod: Keystone
Christanity derived from paganism

I am just reading the da vinci code here and there is a section on how the catholic beliefs were derived for a majority of pagon symbols as set up constantine. I've searched the web and found lots of different bits and pieces. I was just wondering if you could tell me what you know on the subject.
Espically the voting on Jesus stance as the son of god.
Advertisement
29-05-2004, 11:11   #2
davej
Knuthy!

I'm no expert on the subject (and i haven't bothered to 'become' one by googling) but obviously a lot pagan traditions were incorporated into christianity. Things like cycles of fasting and feasting, celebrations at Spring time etc. Does the date the 25th of December have any bearing on when Jesus was supposedly born (3 days after the Winter Solstice) ? Was he really crucified in the Spring, coincidentally at a time of rejuvenation in Nature ?

Organised religion probably began with the first agrarian societies as it played a very functional role in day to day life. These traditions weren't going to simply go away once Christianity came along..

davej
30-05-2004, 00:59   #3
Suaimhneach

A lot of catolic celebrations were placed at the same time as pagan ones to cover the old ways and introduce the new.

Granted the calender is so out of whack that it only reflects this occasionally.

It was all adapted for change.
02-06-2004, 16:13   #4
Banned

Some of the borrowing was quite conscious and deliberate, Christmas is an example; the best date one could put for Christ's birthday would be some time during the lambing season if the shepherds felt it necessary to be out at night, but Christmas is the time of the celebration of the nativity, not an aniversary and it was chosen to coincide with and compete with Pagan ceremonies.

Other practices continued because they were just what people were used to doing.

Of course everyone borrows liberally from everyone else. The pentagram loved by witches we probably borrowed from the Christians (although they don't use it much any more themselves).
03-06-2004, 22:05   #5
stormkeeper

Send a message via ICQ to stormkeeper Send a message via AIM to stormkeeper Send a message via MSN to stormkeeper Send a message via Yahoo to stormkeeper Send a message via Skype™ to stormkeeper
A lot of Christians seem to associate that symbol with Satan, even though it's the inverted one that is the one associated with Satanists. To my knowledge, the 5 points represent the elements and the spirit, self or something like that?
Advertisement
08-06-2004, 14:09   #6
Suaimhneach

Yep, thats the one. Four elements and Spirit. Although I wouldn't associate it with satanists. Wiccans perhaps.
08-06-2004, 14:35   #7
stormkeeper

Send a message via ICQ to stormkeeper Send a message via AIM to stormkeeper Send a message via MSN to stormkeeper Send a message via Yahoo to stormkeeper Send a message via Skype™ to stormkeeper
I used to wear one (a Pentegram) a lot, till it started giving me a rash around my neck. I lost it now, however...

I've seen both of them and I can see why people mix them up...
08-06-2004, 14:38   #8
Suaimhneach

People just aren't aware.
16-06-2004, 19:03   #9
stormkeeper

The churches tend to uphold this state of unawareness....
Advertisement
16-06-2004, 19:11   #10
Suaimhneach

This is true. Perhaps people do not wish to be aware. Ignorance is bliss.

It's easier to just not care and go to church every now and then.

But if they are happy, then who is to stop them.
16-06-2004, 19:43   #11
stormkeeper

True enough

Oddly enough though, I've noticed that people are willing to learn, or at least interested...
18-06-2004, 03:32   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Kennett
A lot of Christians seem to associate that symbol with Satan, even though it's the inverted one that is the one associated with Satanists.
The inverted pentacle is also used as a symbol of the Second Degree in Wicca.

It's worth adding, perhaps, that the inverted cross, is not solely associated with Satanism either, but also with St. Peter.
20-06-2004, 23:12   #13
stormkeeper

I wasn't actually aware of this. Thanks for the info
21-06-2004, 23:33   #14
Suaimhneach

Quote:
Originally posted by Kennett
True enough

Oddly enough though, I've noticed that people are willing to learn, or at least interested...
Yeah, generally are interested. But generally aren't interested enough to get up and investigate.
21-06-2004, 23:49   #15
stormkeeper

True. Just so long as I don't get branded a worshipper of Satan, I'll be fine, lol
Forum Closed